DVDVR Message Board

The NOWs (10-16) DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

There's a handful of other stuff I'd risk putting in here, but I've watched Fury Road four times now and holy shit is basically everything about it perfect and I could watch it forever.

I'll feel dirty foisting something that's less than 18 months old so high up, but I'd be shocked if it fell out of my top 20 or so at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw La La Land...

Not only is it easily my #1 of 2016 thus far but I think it'll comfortably stay around the #50-ish mark of my All-Time list too.
Loved it that much.

I agree with Cyanide above...it feels weird to have something so recent in there but still, I hope many of you get to watch it on the big screen before the deadline.

On 01/11/2016 at 8:58 AM, RIPPA said:

Chaos made his best attempt but there really hasn't been any formal ballot on this decade.

Will be interesting to see how many of you fuckers have recency bias

I'm having the opposite effect.  The farther back I go year wise, the more stuff ends up in my first round.

• Like 1

So, to whittle down the list, I made a Top 10 for every decade, then added in the movies goodly enough to also make the list.Here's My Top 10 (Alphabeticalled in order to avoid any spoilers)

Drive (Refn, 2011): I kinda feel like Nicolas Winding Refn will probably never hit this mix again.  A brilliant-looking, wonderfully-acted kinda mix of neo-noir and horror.  Incredible score and soundtrack and chalk full of great actors all over the film: Bryan Cranston, Albert Brooks, Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, Cristina Hendricks, and, of course, Ryan Gosling creating one of the most interesting and coolest characters in cinematic history.

Four Lions (Morris, 2010): This terrorism comedy should really not be as funny as it is but I just can't stay away from it.  It somehow manages to be gleefully silly while also inflammatory by pointing out political climates that create these scenarios.  There's just so many laugh-out-loud scenarios: from two of them training with a terrorist cell in Pakistan, to them meeting on a chidlren's site in order to plan out bombings ("Barry’s puffin’s turned all red and is hiding under the pirate hat.").

Her (Jonze, 2013): It's funny I've seen two totally different POVs on this one.  I've seen a number of critics who say it is a sad movie because Theodore is incapable of loving an actual woman and the movie is basically a critique of the modern male psyche and I get that.  But, I kind of feel like it's a sometimes sad but really romantic film about a guy whose love transcends societal norms and just...works.  I even think there's hopefulness in the ending

that his relationship with Samantha has opened him up to giving and receiving love again and maybe he's going to try again with Amy

but I love when a movie can create two such differing POVs.  This is a really pretty, moody little film with beautiful cinematography - like the scene in his apartment near the end with the sun-lit dust swirling around him - and great acting from Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson (in voice form, I really felt like this film kinda helped her find her "voice" and has really improved her performances over the last few years after so many years of playing vamps/romantic leads).

Mud (Nichols, 2013): Just a good old-fashioned kids aventure/action flick.  Two boys find an uncommonly handsome drifter the titular Mud (played handsomely by Matthew McConaughey and listed, by him, as his favourite film of his) hanging out on an island, and decide to help him fix up a boat that he plans to use to escape the law with his girlfriend Juniper (Reese Witherspoon).  Joe Don Baker is a man with an axe to grind with Mr. Mud and comes after him.  It's sweet, sad, and has a shocking turn of sudden violence that is more effective because of how it comes about.  Wonderful.

Seven Psychopaths (McDonagh, 2012): You might not love this as much if you don't write/fancy yourself a writer but this one is just so much fun.  Colin Farrell plays a writer stuck with writer's block, who gets caught up in a friend's (Sam Rockwell) dognapping scam, along with a con man (Christopher Walken).  The three of them head out into the desert, discuss scripts, meditate and take peyote, all the while being stalked by a psychopathic dog owner (Woody Harrelson).  It's outrageously funny, super meta ("You can't let the animals die in a movie... only the women."), and exciting.

Silver Linings Playbook (Russell, 2012): I love this film.  It's basically a romantic comedy with Oscar-y actors but the leads have great chemistry, the acting is all terrific, and it's just funny.

Take Shelter (Nichols, 2011): A Michael Shannon masterclass in acting.  He plays a father beset by visions of an impending apocalypse who decides to build his family a massive shelter to protect them.  Shannon's mania is so believable that, as a viewer, you find yourself rooting/hoping for an apocalypse so that he'll he vindicated.

The Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): One of my favourite movies I've ever seen.  I've gushed and gushed and gushed about this one, so I won't do it again.  But, I think you have to give any film that decides to try to illustrate the history of the universe in flashback lots of credit.

Under the Skin (Glazer, 2014): As good of an illustration of what it would be like to end up on Earth as an outsider as I've ever seen.  Scarlett Johansson plays an alien who picks up guys, seduces them, and...well, you know.  A fascinatingly amazing score, and some of the most unsettling film sequences I've ever seen.  Plus, it all looks fantastic.

We Are the Best (Moodysson, 2014): I love this movie.  A Swedish film about two girls who decide to start their own band, despite having no musical talent or skill.  It's sweet, funny, well-acted and totally punk rock.  With all the complaints about lack of female roles and role models, it's criminal that this film is so underseen.

My list off of the top of my head from this decade so far and in no particular order. 

This will probably change as dudes start pimping their choices and the old man fog lifts in my cranium.

Spoiler
  1. Mad Max:  Fury Road
  2. Inception
  3. The Revenant
  4. Gravity
  5. Ex Machina
  6. Marvel's The Avengers
  7. The Martian
  8. Drive
  9. True Grit
  10. Argo

This could also also change after I go see Manchester Under The Sea this weekend and check out Moonlight the weekend after next.

Here was my top 20 from the half-decade poll (2010-14). This could change drastically over time. I also could see swapping out 3 movies from 2015 into this top 20.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Ex Machina

Inside Out

Rank Film Director Year
1 The Master Paul Thomas Anderson 2012
2 The Tree of Life Terrence Malick 2011
3 A Separation Asghar Farhadi 2011
4 The Social Network David Fincher 2010
5 Take Shelter Jeff Nichols 2011
6 12 Years a Slave Steve McQueen 2013
7 Before Midnight Richard Linklater 2013
8 Under the Skin Jonathan Glazer 2014
9 Zero Dark Thirty Katherine Bigelow 2012
10 Drive Nicholas Winding Refn 2011
11 Inside LLewyn Davis Joel and Ethan Coen 2013
12 Toy Story 3 Lee Unkrich 2010
13 Boyhood Richard Linklater 2014
14 Citizenfour Laura Poitras 2014
15 Act of Killing Joshua Oppenheimer 2013
16 Wolf of Wall Street Martin Scorcese 2013
17 Never Let Me Go Mark Romanek 2010
18 Beasts of the Southern wild Benh Zeitlin 2012
19 Midnight in Paris Woody Allen 2011
20 Her Spike Jonze 2013

I need to either see more recent movies, or like more recent movies.

12 Years a Slave (2013, McQueen)
Creed (2015) Coogler
Life of Pi (2012, Lee)
Moonrise Kingdom (2012, Anderson)
42 (2013, Helgeland)
The Tower (2012, Ji-hoon)

Depending on how many films we can put on our ballot, I may have to find room for Citizenfour.

I also need to sit down and watch Life of Pi.

I am happy to see that Ex Machina made someone else's list other than mine!

• 2 weeks later...
Unpimped so far (/also maybe just some fucked up movies I still want to talk about?):

The Man from Nowhere (Lee, 2010)
I Saw the Devil (Jee-woon, 2010)
Winter's Bone (Granik, 2010)
Kill List (Wheatly, 2011)
In Darkness (Holland, 2011)
The Hunter (Nettheim, 2011)
Bellflower (Glodell, 2011)
The Skin I Live In (Almodóvar, 2011)
The Raid: Redemption (Evans, 2011)
The Cabin In The Woods (Goddard, 2012)
The Hunt (Vinterberg, 2012)
Blue Ruin (Saulnier, 2013)
Dallas Buyers Club (Vallée, 2013)
The Raid 2 (Evans, 2014)
Whiplash (Chazelle, 2014)
Birdman (Iñárritu, 2014)
Finding Dory (Stanton, 2016)
The Nice Guys (Black, 2016)

I am gonna assume people will consider

Star Wars: Force Awakens

Rogue One (A Star Wars Story) - I haven't seen it but I am making that assumption based on what I have heard and it being a Star Wars film

Any number of the Marvel movies.

And I am gonna have a hard time keeping The Martian off my ballot

But again - these are bigger name films so I don't know if they necessarily need folks to remember them

• 2 weeks later...

My fave films of the 10's (according to Flickchart and their sometimes messed up system)

La La Land
The Dark Knight Rises
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
21 Jump Street
Frozen
The Lego Movie
Kick-Ass
The Wolf of Wall Street
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The Way, Way Back
Mud
The Help
Kingsman: The Secret Service

The order's a little all over the place but that seems about right

On 1/5/2017 at 4:43 PM, odessasteps said:

Its entirety possible i have not seen enough movies made this decade to do a top 25 (if i was actually going to do one).

On the other end of the spectrum, according to Flickchart, I've seen 416 movies from this decade thus far...
Holy crap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:32 PM, Cyanide said:
Bellflower (Glodell, 2011)

I don't like this movie.  But in lieu of being negative, I'll tell a story about when I saw it.

It was at a movie theater in NYC.  They had an intercom system, and staff would announce over the speakers when a movie was about to start.  So when I was there, there was this elderly woman on the intercom, and she announced the movie as "Blueflower".  As I was heading towards the theater I said to her "It's actually called 'Bellflower'," and she gave me a grandmotherly smile and said "I don't care."

New York City, everyone!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I don't like this movie.  But in lieu of being negative, I'll tell a story about when I saw it.

It was at a movie theater in NYC.  They had an intercom system, and staff would announce over the speakers when a movie was about to start.  So when I was there, there was this elderly woman on the intercom, and she announced the movie as "Blueflower".  As I was heading towards the theater I said to her "It's actually called 'Bellflower'," and she gave me a grandmotherly smile and said "I don't care."

New York City, everyone!

I keep meaning to see Bellflower, but the marketing for that thing at the time was "it's the best debut film since Quentin Tarantino and it's a QT-like film." I love Tarantino, but I hate stuff that tends to ape him.

I openly admit that I tend to overrate indie films that do unconventional takes on genre fare (and typically feature a hard turn out of nowhere at some point); it's definitely a flawed movie, but if that sounds up your alley there are worse ways to spend an hour and a half!