DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE IS JAMES M-Fing ELLSWORNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

piranesi

Main Event quiz:

Question 1. Match the four announced main-eventers tonight with the situation in which you would be best calling each one if you need:

1) ride to the airport
2) bail $$
3) VHS copy of Starship Troopers
4) small sticks for kindling

Spoiler

answer key: 1) John Cena 2) AJ Styles 3) James Ellsworth 4) Dean Ambrose

Complete the following James Ellsworth narrative by filling in the empty steps:

1) Surprise main event on Smackdown against John Cena
2)
3) Get Fired
4)

Spoiler

Answer key: 2) Date Paige 4) Hooter's presser

3. True/False. Would you preorder WWE2k17 if your free bonus wrestler was James Ellsworth and not Goldberg?

Spoiler

answer key: True MORHTERFUKCERS!!!

• Like 7

Its a little thing, but I love how everyone's motivation on SD makes sense. 

Ambrose is pissed that a guy who was off for a month is getting a title shot against AJ.

Cena's disappointed and unimpressed at Dean's performance as a championship defender. 

AJ doesn't give a shit that he took the easy way out, as he's the champ the runs the camp. 

Ziggler wants Miz to actually prove himself without cheating. 

Miz wants respect as a main event and is done giving title matches to unworthy people and being ignored. 

Hell, even Corbin got a moment pointing that as a Lone Wolf, he's not keen on teaming with anybody. 

Such a breath of fresh air. 

• Like 7

Might be just a hot take, but I will take Smackdown's women's division over Raw's every day of the week. Becky/Nikki/Naomi are a good core, Nattie is totally unlikeable and works well in contrast to those three faces, and even the dead weight like Alexa and Carmella have some value. Carmella never did get a run as a heel in NXT because they swerved us and turned Alexa, so it's enjoyable watching her figure things out as a heel for the first time. Becky will drag something fun out of Alexa, who at least throws awesome temper tantrums on two-counts. 

What I love about Smackdown is that so many guys have taken the opportunity to try and make a run, especially with Cena as a part-time player and with Del Rio leaving the company causing a void for guys to step into. Styles looks even better than he did in New Japan, The Miz is having an incredible heel run. Heath Slater busted his ass to get himself over. Crews and Corbin are rapidly improving in the ring. The Usos are revitalizing themselves with this heel turn. Then there are guys like Ziggler, but most everyone is stepping up. 

Miz/Bryan is the best storyline they've run on non-NXT television since they stumbled into Bryan going on a big run and winning the WWE Championship. If I have one nitpick, it's that I hated Cena pinning Miz offhand in a nothing tag match. Miz should not be eating pins right now, especially not in a fashion that is ultimately meaningless. When he loses, it needs to be cathartic because everyone has been waiting for it for so long. Jobbing him in tag team matches like that runs contra to this.

Speaking of, if you'll all indulge me in a bit of fantasy booking:

The Miz and Bryan find themselves at a stalemate in terms of negotiating a new contract for Miz. Miz, true to his word, refuses to defend the IC title, and Bryan strips him of the title, though Miz still holds the belt. Bryan announces a tournament for a new IC champion, and out of the eight guys picked to be in it, Samoa Joe turns out to be one of them. Joe wins the gold when Miz shows back up, claiming that he is the real IC champ rather than Joe. Miz cheapshots Joe again and again backstage and in matches until Bryan calls for a title-vs-title match to determine the undisputed IC champion - they'll hang the belts above the ring and force both men to fight over the title in a ladder match. 

Basically, it's been over twenty years since the HBK/Razor feud, so let's re-use what was an effective narrative again!

• Like 1

I wonder if Daniel Bryan gets the irony of his character now being a GM trying to orchestrate a title onto the person he wants because he doesn't like the guy who won it? I'd like to think this was a clever way to build the idea that power corrupts everyone, but it's more likely just the side effect of the WWE's "If a babyface does it it's fair and you should cheer" thing, which I hate hate hate.

It's also funny that "The Daniel Bryan" in this story is ultimate company guy The Miz, and that he's way better at fucking with the GM.

• Like 3

Smackdown was back to being great again this week.

Cena's chase for Flair's record should be built until Mania. He and Dean were both great and edgy in the opening. Styles was a smug prick. The Triple Threat makes sense.

Miz walking out and being difficult was very good. Getting everyone pumped about James Ellsworth and using Miz to take him out was perfect.

Slater's celebration was good but I wanted more. Maybe they'll film some vignettes.

The women's match was a bit like the one on Sunday. A bit sloppy at times but good on the whole. Big fan of them having multiple feuds going with Becky vs Bliss and Nikki vs Carmella.

Another great reaction for Becky. She is the real main roster Bayley.

Swagger's promo was a bit weak but as he and Corbin have really good chemistry in the ring. It makes perfect sense to bring Swagger over and have Corbin work with him on the road for months.

• Like 1

John Cena would be great as a delusional heel that thinks he a face. He loses cleanly at Summerslam, doesn't admit that AJ was the better man, takes a month off, then comes back demanding that he wants his title back. All of that makes you a dick of Hogan-esque proportions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I wonder if Daniel Bryan gets the irony of his character now being a GM trying to orchestrate a title onto the person he wants because he doesn't like the guy who won it? I'd like to think this was a clever way to build the idea that power corrupts everyone, but it's more likely just the side effect of the WWE's "If a babyface does it it's fair and you should cheer" thing, which I hate hate hate.

It's also funny that "The Daniel Bryan" in this story is ultimate company guy The Miz, and that he's way better at fucking with the GM.

I mean, there is a difference between wanting a different champion than the one who beat John Cena cleanly because he's just too small for your liking, and wanting a different champion because your current champion needs his wife to blind his opponents with hair spray to keep winning. 

• Like 1

Splitting Cena off with Ambrose is a feud I never really considered before tonight. Dean can get more of his edge back and maybe go full heel by the end of it.

That leaves Styles vs Orton as the title feud with maybe some Bray involvement to stretch it out.

Pretty good direction for the top of the card, IMO. I think they'll eventually get one of Joe or Nakamura too.

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I mean, there is a difference between wanting a different champion than the one who beat John Cena cleanly because he's just too small for your liking, and wanting a different champion because your current champion needs his wife to blind his opponents with hair spray to keep winning. 

The other key difference is that Miz has leverage, with the belt. Bryan needed opportunities, Miz can--to some extent--dictate them. There is certainly a nice hint of "power corrupts" to the angle, but the circumstances aren't like for like.

30 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Once again Bryan is undersized for the job.

It's amazing how much this angle has made me dislike his character and like the Miz's.

I think the thing that hurts Bryan is this: His character--and all faces, to a certain extent--was built on responding to heel taunts with violence. Sure, you'll trade barbs for a bit. But there always comes a time when you drop the mic, and say ok, let's go. You don't always have to win, but you have to try. Bryan can't even be a sawed off Bill Watts authority figure--no, he has to send other people to do his fighting for him. He certainly can't roll up his flannel sleeves, and let the heel beg off. He has to be the one taking the barbs, and backing down. It's interesting, insofar as he's basically forced into this aspect of the heel archetype, and by being somewhat petulant about it, exacerbates that perception.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the stuff surrounding the world title and Miz. Only thing I didn't like was Miz losing in the main event. Wish they went for a dq or something.

The women's match was decent. I like Alexa winning. She was awesome on Talking Smack. Her reactions to Bryan were great along with her comments on Carmella.

Not sure about Corbin vs. Swagger, but I am happy to see Corbin getting more of a role on the main show. He still lacks a bit of confidence on the mic, but he was fun on Talking Smack

• Like 1

I don't really get how the GM who worked his ass off to become champ in a clean way not liking the guy who cheats like a bastard makes the GM the heel. Especially when the guy who cheats was pretty shitty about the GM's injuries and continues to cheat like a bastard. 

On another note, Becky Lynch is definitely over with the girls in the crowd. Bayley is too over on RAW, but I'm glad for Becky that she got over like that, too. 

• Like 5

Perhaps more indicative of Bryan's douchiness as GM is his complicity with Shane on their treatment of Heath Slater. "Hey, here's a wrestler who needs a job to support his family and also happens to be super-over with our fans right now. Let's mock him and make him jump through hoops in order to get a contract!" Hell, at least when Slater pulled it off Shane-O was decent enough to be there for the contract signing...