DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

I've only got  that I think we missed that really hurt, Living in Oblivion at #3, The Rapture at #19, Rob Roy at 28, The Sweet Hereafter/i] at 21, Hot Shots! Part Deux at 31, Dark City and PCU and various others that either I missed on the countdown or sadly didn't make the list.  

Hey, can someone post the summary list to date?

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/522-best-of-the-top-330-movies-of-the-1990s/page-27#entry52568 is the last time it got posted, to #116.

Living In Oblivion was #302 and Rob Roy was #241.  I think Dark City and Sweet Hereafter have good shots at still making it.

Huh.  By the number of typos in my previous post, you may infer that I am not currently sober.  Which is correct.  Which is why I forgot Living in Oblivion barely squeaked in and Rob Roy at least finished above 250.  As for the ones you mentioned, here's hoping.  But, PCU and Hot Shots art Deux!  Don't you guys appreciate these hilarious movies which hide genuine intelligence and sharp societal satire under their dopey comedic surface?  And The Rapture, I don't understand why more people never give that movie a try; it starts off as a steamy Mimi Rogers sex movie and then transcends into a literal interpretation of the Apocalypse, plus you finally get to see David Duchonvy shot dead; what more could you ask for?  

Posted Image

78) BEYOND THE MAT
1999 - 448 Points - 9 Votes (Highest Vote: #30 Jingus)

DIRECTOR: Barry W. Blaustein
STARRING: Terry Funk, Mick Foley, Jake Roberts 
Placement On Original List: #163 (5 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I really still haven't figured out why there is always this big gap between Beyond the Mat and Wrestling with Shadows (#159). Granted I am a person who has Wrestling With Shadows the higher one of the two on his ballot so there is some bias but still. Last time the gap was #202 (WWS) to #163 (BTM). It obviously shows in the vote total too. This time 9 votes to 5 votes. Last time 5 votes to 2 votes. (BTM always being the higher vote getter).

Posted Image

75) FIREWORKS (Hana-Bi)
1997 - 448 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #3 Kawada)

DIRECTOR: Takeshi Kitano
STARRING: Takeshi Kitano, Kayoko Kishimoto, Ren Ohsugi
Placement On Original List: #73 (5 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Caley had this #2 last time. This time #7. Now you know who to blame for it's two spot drop. This is also the last 5 vote movie. In fact, everything from here on has at least 7 votes.

I'd have thought Mask of the Phantasm would be higher here.

Considering how many of the original voters of it didn't participate this time - I am pleased it moved into the Top 100 at all.I orginally thought it was going to be just me and Natural keeping it on the backend of the countdown.

Just taking a quick look, and going off memory, I believe 42 of my top 100 have dropped so far, with the latest being The Ice Storm and Hana-Bi, which were also right next to each other on my ballot at #20 and #19 respectively. Going back a few places, I'm surprised that Out of Sight didn't rank higher than where it was. Easily the best piece of pulp fiction of the decade.

Also, this countdown needs more Woody.

I had a bunch of the original ballots in an old inbox. Phil, I just e-mailed you a spreadsheet with a few guys that were pretty involved in the original that don't appear to have voted this time. Perhaps a combined listing, minus the pageantry? 

Marc
Jesus Damnit Tom Reagan
Manos99
keith_h
Josh Mann
Devin Intervention
Rev Ray
BankHoldup
Unipisser
Freeway
Mr. Seven

I can do some sort of combo list eventually since I had thought about that originally when I thought I was going to get like 6 ballots.

It probably would have to wait till like Thanksgiving so I could get a block of time to merge everything together

I can even give JT the option of pretending his 2nd ballot never existed

Posted Image

72) ALADDIN
1992 - 457 Points - 9 Votes (Highest Vote: #28 CSC)

DIRECTOR: Ron Clements, John Musker
STARRING: Scott Weinger, Robin Williams, Linda Larkin
Placement On Original List: #110 (5 Votes)

EDIT - small edit as I originally posted Edward Scissorhands point total here instead of Aladdin's. All good now.