DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

Kinda surprised to be the high vote on Beyond the Mat, considering this is a wrestling board and everything.  Maybe I love it more just cuz I lived it.  

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I really still haven't figured out why there is always this big gap between Beyond the Mat and Wrestling with Shadows (#159). Granted I am a person who has Wrestling With Shadows the higher one of the two on his ballot so there is some bias but still. Last time the gap was #202 (WWS) to #163 (BTM). It obviously shows in the vote total too. This time 9 votes to 5 votes. Last time 5 votes to 2 votes. (BTM always being the higher vote getter).

It depends on a few things.  How big a Bret mark were you?  I was always a Shawn fan in terms of stylistic differences, and thought Bret took himself way too seriously.  

But even aside from that, I think I can explain it.  Wrestling with Shadows is just plain not as fun a movie to watch as Beyond the Mat.  Hell, Bret comes off as a nicer likable guy in his cameo in Beyond the Mat than in the entirety of his own movie.  Wrestling with Shadows is a total downer, an anti-Horatio Alger story where a man, through good luck and hard work, goes from rags to riches... and then through bad luck and stubbornness, goes back to rags.  Well not literally, Uncle Eric's money probably soothed the blow a bit, but it's still a story of a guy living his worst nightmares coming true.  Beyond the Mat is relatively tame in comparison; Terry Funk's knees, Mick Foley's briefly crying then later totally fine children, and Jake Roberts' emo problems are the very worst things that happen in that one (well, not counting Droz, anyway).  It's funnier and livelier, with a much larger cast and much more in-ring action during the movie, and generally portrays wrestling in a less depressing light than Wrestling with Shadows.  That's why the one goes over the other.  

Oh man Aladdin is by far my favorite animated Disney film. Nice to see it in the Top 100.

Little Mermaid is probably my overall favorite due to childhood bias, but Aladdin's probably the funniest and most generally entertaining.  I remember me and my brother begging our mom to just let us stay in the theater and see the entire movie again, and she actually agreed.  (This is unprecedented; it's almost literally impossible to get my parents to sit down and watch an entire movie with me, something which has really bugged me over the years.  It's tough for a person who loves and respects all kinds of art, to be stuck with people who absolutely do not, but don't even REALIZE their phillistine nature because they're smart educated people who can't admit they're ever wrong or intellectually lacking in just about any area.)

My dream of finishing this week is probably going to die on a vine because I totally forgot how much work I have to do for this fucking conference I have on Saturday.

We will definitely finish by the end of the month though.

73) DAZED AND CONFUSED
1993 - 454 Points - 9 Votes (Highest Vote: #3 New Blood and Rippa)

DIRECTOR: Richard Linklater
STARRING: Jason London, Wiley Wiggins, Matthew McConaughey
Placement On Original List: #47 (12 Votes)

71) EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
1990 - 461 Points - 9 Votes (Highest Vote: #9 Hillary)

DIRECTOR: Tim Burton
STARRING: Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Dianne Wiest
Placement On Original List: #88 (7 Votes)

Two weird gaps in my viewing.  Especially 'Dazed...' because of the cast, but also especially 'Edward...' because pretty much everyone in my family has seen and loved it.

Posted Image

68) ARMY OF DARKNESS
1992 - 486 Points - 11 Votes (Highest Vote: #18 JR Goldman)

DIRECTOR: Sam Raimi
STARRING: Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Marcus Gilbert
Placement On Original List: #57 (11 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - First movie with more than 10 votes.

Posted Image

63) CRUMB
1991 - 520 Points - 8 Votes (Highest Vote: #13 New Blood and ohtani's jacket)

DIRECTOR: Terry Zwigoff
Placement On Original List: #206 (3 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - That is one heck of a jump.

EDIT - Whoops. Forgot to change the high vote. It's correct now.

Posted Image

61) HARD BOILED (Laat sau sen taan) 
1992 - 540 Points - 10 Votes (Highest Vote: #5 caley)

DIRECTOR: John Woo
STARRING: Yun-Fat Chow, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Teresa Mo
Placement On Original List: #37 (11 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I might as well get this out of the way here. JT - you didn't vote for this.

Posted Image

61) HARD BOILED (Laat sau sen taan) 
1992 - 540 Points - 10 Votes (Highest Vote: #5 caley)

DIRECTOR: John Woo
STARRING: Yun-Fat Chow, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Teresa Mo
Placement On Original List: #37 (11 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I might as well get this out of the way here. JT - you didn't vote for this.

I am paying the price for my movie snobbery.  If I were in my right mind, this would've been in my top thirty along with The Dallas Connection.

Scream is the only movie I remember being so popular among high schoolers and middle schoolers when it came out that the local movie theatre had to station guards at the door of the showing to prevent kids from sneaking in. No other horror film in my lifetime has captured the attention of my peers quite like that with the exception of maybe Blair Witch, but that could just be because we all went to high school about 20 minutes from the wood where they filmed it. 

Fowler, I would also say that Halloween has probably done overall more damage to the genre. 

I had a bunch of the original ballots in an old inbox. Phil, I just e-mailed you a spreadsheet with a few guys that were pretty involved in the original that don't appear to have voted this time. Perhaps a combined listing, minus the pageantry? 

Marc
Jesus Damnit Tom Reagan
Manos99
keith_h
Josh Mann
Devin Intervention
Rev Ray
BankHoldup
Unipisser
Freeway
Mr. Seven

Here are the other people who didn't vote this time that did the last time

Winnipagan

Cody Save

Paco

Isolde

theinsanemrx

odessasteps

Capt. Midnight

Some of these folks might be posting under different names now (not Paco and odessa obviously) but if you have any of their's floating around - shoot them too me.