DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: September Thread Where Pittsburgh Tries to Win it All

Craig H

My main problem with it being a "Play-In" style playoff game is that baseball is such a human sport that you can, and probably will at some point, have a single blown call end a season for a team. 

Then it expands to Best of 3...

Then Best of 5...

Then the World Series ends in fucking December.

The whole "weather factor" is another issue, because they love to slide in these off days just in case there's a downpour to screw up the whole schedule. It would be peachy to do a three game series on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and start the LDS on Friday...but what if there's a rain out in there? Hello, chaos

The answer is 154 game season.  But that will never happen.

Baseball is a Summer game.  I fucking hate watching the most important games of the year and it's snowing and people's breathe is freezing.  The most important games are the ones that look the least like baseball games.

Baseball is a Summer game.  I fucking hate watching the most important games of the year and it's snowing and people's breathe is freezing.  The most important games are the ones that look the least like baseball games.

You sound like a Costa Rican futbol fan.

You sound like a Costa Rican futbol fan.

Shit.  I've been doxed.

My main problem with it being a "Play-In" style playoff game is that baseball is such a human sport that you can, and probably will at some point, have a single blown call end a season for a team. 

You could, in theory, argue that it already has happened.

Infield Fly in Left Field, and what not.

What people who go on about the awesomeness of 2011 forget is 2010 could've easily been almost as epic.

On the last day of the 2010 season the Rays (my favorite team before the Bucs rebuilt) and Yankees were tied for 1st in the AL East but both had clinched the lone Wild Card spot as well. So instead of what should have been a tremendous last day with both teams trying desperately to win and avoid the play-in game, both teams treated their last game like a spring training game; not letting pitchers go more than a couple innings, getting the starters out after one or two AB etc.

I think right then was when people realized the one Wild Card was fucking stupid. You have to make winning the division mean something. I also hate baseball played until winter and fear the inevitable play-in game being a play-in 3 game series but all in all, it's definitely a change for the better.

Also re: 2010...the second wild card would have come down to the last weekend as well, Going into the last series of the year, Chicago trailed Boston by one game. Both teams took two out of three, and Boston would have gotten the nod. At the same time, things would have been a little less tense in the NL, with the Braves, Giants, and Padres fighting for seeding instead of two playoff spots.

That's the thing about this situation...you can make a case in either direction depending on the season.

I figured I should bring it up... I know that some people believe in jinxes so I'll just say that pitcher Yusmerio Petit of the Giants is having a great game against the Diamondbacks tonight. Just one more inning and you can say that he had a perfectly fine game. You can watch him pitch the 9th in a bit on MLB's website or on their network.

I figured I should bring it up... I know that some people believe in jinxes so I'll just say that pitcher Yusmerio Petit of the Giants is having a great game against the Diamondbacks tonight. Just one more inning and you can say that he had a perfectly fine game. You can watch him pitch the 9th in a bit on MLB's website or on their network.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS

Going back to the schedule conversation, at some point they're going to start needing to have regularly scheduled double headers. It's either that or shorten spring training, which they should do anyway, and start the fucking season in March. Only problem with that is Feb. and March is usually when the Midwest gets fucked by winter weather. Of course, The third option is Bud Selig, and probably TLR and Loria too, are reptilians and are terraforming the planet by way of global warming as they pad the pockets of people in Congress and the Senate to continue denying climate change and supporting oil companies. If you dig deep enough, I'm sure you would find that the reptilian group owns a majority of the FEMA camps.

However, there is hope for us all...

Posted Image

As always we value your input, Craig.  You are a good egg, and you fulfill an important role in the structure of the league...something like a foundation of a great cathedral.  Sometimes, from way up here among the spires, it can be easy to forget about that.  But don't worry we're thinking of you. 

And we will certainly keep your concerns and ideas in mind when we next convene:

Posted Image

Just be mindful that sometimes you need to respect the procedures of the conclave.  We'd hate to have to turn this over to the compliance wing (this used to go under a different name, but we've rebranded!)

Posted Image

Yours in Obedience and Watchfulness,

Posted Image

The Guardians

Now, let's all have a healthy, spirited, and comfortingly predictable Autumn!