DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Is Jose Aldo becoming full champion going to make him not hate the UFC and want him to fight again?  

My point is this, making Aldo full champion now is ridiculous.  Make the winner of Pettis/Holloway the new champion.

Aldo is fighting again. He has no real other alternative. Dede said he is returning in early 2017.

44 minutes ago, twiztor said:

they may as well make Aldo vs the winner of Pettis/Holloway and have that be for the "full" title. fuck dealing with anymore interim bullshit, and just make it happen.

That's what's going to happen essentially.

Interim title at UFC 206 when Aldo was already interim champion is bullshit anyway.  Just like making Jones vs. OSP for a pointless interim belt.

Well, you just said Aldo wasn't fighting and now you're disgusted with this fight being for the interim belt. I mean if Aldo does come back, it will be around April/May. That's still 9-10 months between fights. In addition, there is no guarantee Aldo makes to it to the cage then either. This is more or less Jose Aldo insurance if he changes his mind or gets hurt.

I just don't know why now of all times you promote Jose Aldo to be champion when he's removed himself from active competition.  Not to mention, Aldo's been a constant problem, crybaby and complainer for the UFC since he joined the roster in 2011.

43 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I just don't know why now of all times you promote Jose Aldo to be champion when he's removed himself from active competition.  Not to mention, Aldo's been a constant problem, crybaby and complainer for the UFC since he joined the roster in 2011.

He can't really remove himself from active competition. They're not going to release him so he had to change his mind and fight the Pettis/Holloway winner. In addition, the likelihood of McGregor cutting down to featherweight is slim to none after beating Alvarez. This was inevitable unless Aldo decided to vacate the interim title.

As for Aldo, this is what comes with promoting fighters. I think I said this several months back, and that is Aldo really isn't that big of a problem. He's always acquiesced to what Zuffa wanted from him behind the scenes. The dude was planning to fight Conor and risk losing his title with an injury where he couldn't breathe properly. In stark contrast, Fabricio Werdum decided not to do the same thing because he suffered some minor injuries. 

Aldo is also one of the top MMA fighters of all time, no question. Rightfully, he should have his say and be entitled to giving his opinion.

I don't think a deep analysis is needed, they are only doing it so they can say there is a title match at UFC 206. That's it. Otherwise it defies logic to "promote" one fighter just to hand out another interim title. Its a quick decision after the main event was scratched so they can still market a title fight, nothing more, who the fighters are doesn't really matter. If Aldo wasn't the Interim Champ they'd promote whoever was the champ.  And it is dumb but their #1 job is to sell PPVs, not make sense.

The UFC has gone overboard the last few years with interim titles, but that was just their solution with how many events they had so they can promote title fights. Jones was given an interim fight after the champion had just fought seven months prior and only had a minor injury so he'd be back in a few months. The champion went only nine months between fights and yet there was also an interim floating around. Not because it made sense, but so they could promote a Jones title fight. Then the interim champion was stripped a few months later. I think these oddball decisions are easier to accept once everyone embraces that the UFC is an entertainment company whose #1 goal is to sell PPVs, not be a legitimate sports company.

RIZIN booked Gabi Garcia against Joshi legend, 5-1 MMA fighter, olympic judoka, 52 year old libretarian senator Shinobu Kandori for 12/29!

And no, I'm not making this up. Gabi couldn't even believe this when Sakakibara told her that would be her opponent.

Has any commission approved it yet?  Nope.  Gastelum can still fuck off and he should have to stay on the shelf.

As for Jose Aldo, the simple solution here is having him fight Max Holloway instead of creating a title out of thin air...again.

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Has any commission approved it yet?  Nope.  Gastelum can still fuck off and he should have to stay on the shelf.

As for Jose Aldo, the simple solution here is having him fight Max Holloway instead of creating a title out of thin air...again.

They're not going to cancel a main event for a fight Jose Aldo hasn't signed a bout agreement for. 

I don't want them to cancel the event.  I just don't see the point of creating a fake title at the same time you promote Aldo to becoming champion.  It's ridiculous.  You can't just say, "OK, someone got injured in the main event.  Let's create another interim title."  

In Cain Velasquez's case, they should've just stripped him of the title since he didn't defend it at all for two years.  

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't want them to cancel the event.  

That's what they would have to do because Aldo ain't fighting at 206. He probably verbally agreed to fight the winner, but that's about it.

It's been a grand total of one day since that fight was even announced.

And I don't like the interm title shit either, but then I stop and remember it's a glorified term for "#1 contender" and I go about my day. I could do without the #1 contender having his own belt, but UFC gonna UFC. I wish they'd drop that title and just go with what it actually means, but alas. In my mind, if you think about it that way, Jose Aldo was the #1 contender, the actual champion vacated the belt and went to a different weight class. In that regard, it makes sense. The #1 guy in the division, after beating the #2 guy, shouldn't have to go and face the #3 or #4 ranked guy just to be the "official" champion. He was ranked underneath McGregor, and now he's gone, so Also is by default the top guy in the division.

Before Oliveria, Pettis hadn't won a match since, what, 2014? That's the real head-scratcher here, for me. He might have had a 5 fight win streak before dropping 3 in a row before his most recent win, but I don't know why that puts him on the rankings as #4. It really should be Edgar/Holloway for the #1 contendership, but I don't want to sit through another Edgar/Aldo match if it was to happen.

Just some musings from a casual fan. Probably don't make much sense, but yeah.

I think a potential problem an interim title does slightly alleviate is the possibility that Aldo wants to continue to pursue McGregor. With the way Aldo beat Edgar the second time and the fact that the division is full of young fighters not even close to a title shot, there is no guarantee Aldo doesn't move up in the near future to get that win back from Conor. That's still the fight that makes the most fiscal sense for Aldo. Even if Pettis has a rousing winning performance against Holloway or barely loses that fight and somehow wins a title eliminator after that, we're still only talking a PPV that might cross the 400k threshold with the right hype. I think giving the winner of the 206 main event a rubberstamp to fight the FW champion is better than asking Aldo to fight someone like Holloway who he was in no rush to fight anyway. With nothing on the line officially, Aldo can still stay fuck it and wait on Conor's next move. I mean he did that when it was more evident Conor was angling to fight Eddie instead of him. An interim title doesn't completely stop that, but it does force his hand because there is more money in being champion and fighting than pursuing a fight that may not happen at all. Moreover, a convincing win over someone like Holloway or Pettis does more for Aldo in getting a superfight rematch with McGregor than just waiting at home for several months. My larger point is that anything that convinces Aldo to fight and get the division on track can't hurt all that much. By the time all this stuff unfolds, no one is going to give a damn whether one fight was for the interim title or not.

MMA fans complaining about a scenario where Anthony Pettis fights Max Holloway with a fight with Jose Aldo as the prize is confusing to me.  They are complicating it needlessly with an interim title, but we both of those fights should be fucking awesome.  Pettis and Holloway are dream opponents for me, and Jose Aldo is one of the five best MMA fighters who has ever stepped in a cage.  Who cares whether it makes sense that there will be two belts when it happens?  They need to promote a card where the title fight was cancelled.  The champion of the featherweight division vacated his title, and they want to add some juice to the new main event.  Having an extra belt doesn't change a damn thing.

• Like 2

Probably that they signed their unions cards or plan to.

It would be weird if they started a union when someone just started one for the very reason of getting those fighters. IIRC Rob Maysey's org (MMAFA) is basically competing with the one that was started this year (PFA). If they joined PFA, that would basically show the lack of faith in Maysey's efforts.

The reason why I don't think it's PFA is that the PFA reps would probably be involved in this explicitly. If Rebney is trying to do the CAA vs. WME thing, that may be tough because why would somebody split resources between 3 different unions? Now if they joined up with PFA that would make sense because the backing is better. However, they have shunned Rob Maysey so why would this be any different other than having name fighters?