DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I had an amazingly horrible day at work yesterday and I think that six pack of Raging Bitch went straight to my head. 

I fell asleep while sitting on the couch, having a nice IPA, and watching El Rey while waiting for my dinner to warm up in the microwave and before I knew it, it was 3AM and dinner became garbage after sitting in the microwave all night.  I made a sandwich, went to bed, and thankfully did not oversleep this morning.

Wednesdays is usually Mass Effect day, but if the Night Shift is on early I may partake of some player murder in freemode to properly release my frustrations about work.  Mother fuckers must be put to the sword and in-house deathmatches will not do.  Non-DVDR fools need to get put down in real time.

• Like 2

It is more of the same for me.  Prep for the 82nd Warfighter Exercise and battling blade servers that do not want to behave.  I will be good and frustrated by the time I get home.

J.T. I ourghta be on tonight so we can take to the gta free mode world and take our frustrations out on lil innocent beeotches. And yes yes I love my guns all except my dalm pistol. I swear I think I'd do better throwin that sum bitch like a boomerang at people. Only I don't give a shit if it comes back or not.

So, I think I'm still a level 8 noob on GTA V since the last time I played, which was a few months ago after the release and before the massive glitch/money exploits. Is it still worth going into online mode? Right now it sounds I'm like a lamb going to the slaughter.

So, I think I'm still a level 8 noob on GTA V since the last time I played, which was a few months ago after the release and before the massive glitch/money exploits. Is it still worth going into online mode? Right now it sounds I'm like a lamb going to the slaughter.

Going into Freemode by yourself isn't your wisest choice.

You can do stuff by yourself in a closed session - like missions designed for 1-2 players. You also can earn cash and RP by doing races and parachutes jumps by yourself but that is a grind.

The best is to hook up with members of the crew (there are active members on both the PS3 and 360) who will gladly help you rank up quickly.

I'm guessing stout and I will get some pretty nasty messages from the guy we were messing with last night.  My personal favorite was getting the cops to kill him for us by pissing them off right on top of him.

Dan, you're definitely Mary Lou.  The rest of us haven't mastered the tumbling skills required to get Olympic gold in the floor exercise yet.  Your landing right on top of me during that match at the airstrip was nice though.  I'm looking down, and suddenly I see your feet standing right next to me. 

Anybody that questions why I want owned weapons just has to look at how I did last night in those two pistol only deathmatches - I spent the entire time looking at those damned losing streak visuals.  Then I got my assault shotgun back for the Lodge match and all was right with the world, even if Dan did shoot me 25 times in the match.

I'll be on some tonight, and I'll be down for online carnage, freemode or otherwise.  After today I won't be on at all till Sunday or Monday.

Going into Freemode by yourself isn't your wisest choice.

You can do stuff by yourself in a closed session - like missions designed for 1-2 players. You also can earn cash and RP by doing races and parachutes jumps by yourself but that is a grind.

The best is to hook up with members of the crew (there are active members on both the PS3 and 360) who will gladly help you rank up quickly.

I still run into a bunch of low level people when I join random things, so you won't be the only one. 

Freemode can get you killed at any level.  I'm 130+, and like to think I'm pretty decent at it by now, but I still get taken to school more often than I would care to admit.  stout, misanthrope and I beat the hell out of a level 350+ guy last night.

There are a few missions that will give you about $20K, and will probably level you up every time you play them till you get a bit higher.  You can't access those directly, but if you're on 360 somebody that can access them is usually up for doing them with you.

Locked on Pistols is fine*. Locked + Pickups is whoever is lucky enough to spawn nearest the SMG can walk to victory.

Managed to find a Prison Thugz with weapons on, finally. Snipey snipey. I lost because my team were idiots, but I had the best K/D ratio in the match, except for the one guy on the opposing team who went 23-0. Who I'm assuming was in God mode, because I killed all of their snipers.

I hate that people are doing Deathmatches in God Mode again. We had a good few months when nobody could, but they found a way back in. The other day, someone was unkillable (point blank range, Assault Shotgun, three volleys into his windpipe and he halfway flops and the pops up again each time), and his bullets exploded like grenades. I reported him.

* If you have my Deathmatch style. Because when I started doing Team Deathmatches, I would usually be paired with Cris and Havoc who are both Snipe first, Snipe last, Snipe always guys - so obviously I had to be the close combat guy who Rambos around like a berserker, safe in the knowledge that anyone I flush and don't manage to kill is getting a Sniper bullet in his skull seconds later. Only I did so many Deathmatches (my overall Deathmatch record is something like 232-240), I really mastered that style, got the combat rolls down, started getting more headshots so I win the 50/50s. So now, when you've all just got pistols and the snipers can't snipe, I can still do what I do.

• Like 1

I felt bad about how horribly I was doing in the pistol-only match until Mis pointed out that he needed to turn off the "don't shoot crew" priority. Once I did that, my game elevated slightly from suck-shit to sniff-shit.

And I want another go at the mission where you deliver planes to the docks. We figured out that only one plane needs to be delivered, but only if it is the only plane left. I think the best approach would be having someone successfully deliver one, while someone hangs back to blow up the other two.

But my highlight of the night was Mis blowing two of them up trying to kill all the red dots at the airfield, then flying the last plane to the docks.

The rest of us were floating in Buzzards watching him repeatedly circle the docks going "where the fuck are you supposed to land this sumbitch?!?" and then BOOM!!! straight into a light pole. It was hilarious.

• Like 2

"Mary Lou" fits your female character, Dan. It's a compliment when you're on my team - "get 'em, Mary Lou!" - and a term of derision when you're shooting me in the face for the 5000th time. 

Actually, "he's doing that Mary Lou shit" has been a term of mine for Freemode tumblers and rollers for a while now. I'm not current enough to keep up with current gymnasts, so I have to remember one from 1984, when I was younger and still cared about the Olympics (and thought Mary Lou Retton was a cutie). 

I always give Mis hell when he starts "that Mary Lou shit," but I envy it because A. I can't do it, and B. I can't defend against it. 

i didn't mind the forced pistol deathmatches all that much, except for the fact that it never failed that I'd get a shot on someone and have to reload before I'd kill them. "NO, NOT NOW, DON'T RELOAD NOW!" One of my least favorite deathmatches ever, for some reason, is the "wedding bells" one at the church where it's a forced sawed-off shotgun. 

Rippa's advice is solid, Dirty J. Feel free to look us up if we're online. A good way to get "killing practice" for missions in a semi low-pressure setting and get some RP out of the deal is to start a closed room and do some of the Gang Wars on the map (the red circles). They pay some RP. The game tries to keep lower-level players together as much as possible. Sometimes you can find a buddy in some random player online and wear out some missions together.

Even riding in a car with other players will help you rank up. Come on in, the water's fine. I like trying to help Dolfan's buddy (though unlike Robert, I can't remember his name right now - Andrew?), but we were accidentally picking some awfully low-RP missions.

Plus - the good thing with playing with crew is absolutely no one cares what level you are.

Dan also introduced the "wearing motorcycle helmet during deathmatches" gambit into the equation last night.

I really wish Rockstar would have separate rules for freemode then the activities (like helmets not giving you a bonus defense, or the "dont kill friends" wouldn't stay on, etc...) but I know I am pushing my luck.

Heck of an idea, which means it probably won't happen. Like two different styles of presets.

One idea I think will happen in the next patch is the ability to turn off calls from Martin/Simeon/whoever if you're above a certain level. I'd say there's not a player who isn't tired of having to cancel out random calls in the middle of trying to do something in a room. You know, in fooling around with the presets yesterday, there may be a way to do that now. Turn off notifications or reminders or something like that. That might do it. Upon further reading, that appears not to be the case.

Can you have more than one helmet? I used to try to wear my baby blue helmet all the time as a homage to Special Ed. 

I'm curious to see if the next update comes with Easter-themed crap. Since Easter's on April 20 this year (DOOD~!), Rockstar could also part fools with their GTA bucks by throwing a bone to the KEWLBUDS420 crowd by coming up with some insanely expensive pot-themed vehicle. You know half the game would be driving around in one.

Heck of an idea, which means it probably won't happen. Like two different styles of presets.

One idea I think will happen in the next patch is the ability to turn off calls from Martin/Simeon/whoever if you're above a certain level. I'd say there's not a player who isn't tired of having to cancel out random calls in the middle of trying to do something in a room. You know, in fooling around with the presets yesterday, there may be a way to do that now. Turn off notifications or reminders or something like that. That might do it. Upon further reading, that appears not to be the case.

Can you have more than one helmet? I used to try to wear my baby blue helmet all the time as a homage to Special Ed. 

I'm curious to see if the next update comes with Easter-themed crap. Since Easter's on April 20 this year (DOOD~!), Rockstar could also part fools with their GTA bucks by throwing a bone to the KEWLBUDS420 crowd by coming up with some insanely expensive pot-themed vehicle. You know half the game would be driving around in one.

I hate having to remember to change the targeting setting between freemode and deathmatches.  Of course, while I'm at it, I would kill for the ability to block missions from popping up in my random queue, though the last update did improve that issue dramatically.

If they do come up with 420 related stuff, it'll make freemode that much more enjoyable.  I already target anybody with that in their name.

Dan also introduced the "wearing motorcycle helmet during deathmatches" gambit into the equation last night.

Well since he's all level playing field and shit, he should unintroduce that since wearing motorcycle helmets (especially one that has a visor) has direct implications on deathmatch play given that they will turn away everything short of a headshot from an AP Pistol or a Sniper Rifle... like he didn't know that already.

If he keeps wearing one, then all tactics are on the table and all dudes should be able to use every weapon they have in deathmatch play including miniguns so that everyone has access to guns that can cope with body armor and the helmet.

I don't wear a motorcycle helmet in deathmatches since, y'know, I'm not scared.

I preferred your less diplomatic answer :-)

I am trying not to be a complete hardass today.  It is very difficult.

I take it you are referring to my observation that Dan tends to make up rules he expects everyone to follow that coincide to the point in the match when he is experiencing a losing streak such as the "no blowing up all of the fighter jets" rule he tried to establish during our only run of SEAL Team Six?  Explain to me why I am allowing you to have air superiority again?

I especially like Dan's "everyone shoot at JT / Melraz and ignore that I am nearly in first place" rule.

• Like 1

In regards to the helmet thing, that 's fascinating stuff. I don't care one way or the other about whether someone wears one or not because I really don't care one way or the other about who wins when we're playing. My team won? Yay! They won? Yay! Who cares? I've got the money and the RP, so I don't need more for being the winner, so screw it. I try to win, don't get me wrong, but if I do, great, and if I don't, great. I'll have a billion things to laugh at, and that's the most important thing.

I get frustrated when I'm doing poorly or do something stupid, but it's still not the end of the world. I guarantee you no one got shot and blown up as much as me last night during that GTA race on top of the arena, and I still thought it was awesome.

Not real sure I'd take on-the-fly rules changes from the opposition during a deathmatch, though. Just play the stupid thing as dealt and if you win, you win, and if you lose, you lose. If the construction of the deathmatch isn't to your liking, there's always the Ferris Wheel at Del Perro Pier.

Might need to restate: During races with you guys, I never aim to hit anyone intentionally. Any hitting done is me screwing up trying to keep my position or get around you or move around one of those damn NPC cars 'cause you sickos like racing with the traffic on.  :) Like I said, I care if i win, but not that much.

• Like 2

I'm not afraid to launch a grenade across the map into someone's lap in a tdm. "Rules" in gta...Lol.  Might as well go to the proctologist and say "hey doc, do you mind using the whole fist on me today?"  There can't be a gentlemen's agreement when playing against you sick fucks.

So, rooftop rumble glitched on Robert, Stout, and myself last night.  We failed the mission upon delivery of the evidence and it said a rival delivered.  Strange.

I do not feel sorry for turtle.  He pressed the issue when grown folks were talking.  B(itch)eastBoy forgot to pay his air bill, and we were the collection agency.
  • Like 1