DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: BROCK LESNAR vs. DANIEL BRYAN

BROCK LESNAR vs. DANIEL BRYAN  

166 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I voted Bryan because he was the most over guy since the Attitude era by 'Mania and single-handedly carried the entire event in a way that no one else could have done.  He's come back and been consistently great despite being fed nothing but shit and sabotaged.  He made SmackDown matter again, at least for a bit there when it first came back on Thursdays.  He had a much better match with Reigns than Brock will, and he's just more diverse in the ring than Brock is.

That said, I LOVED the Cena squash and the Cena/Rollins match, and he's basically the only thing they've gotten right since Bryan's injury.

I love Bryan to death, but Brock's matches this year were so EPIC- I think his stuff will be way more memorable down the line. That isn't a knock at all on Bryan, just that he was a victim of circumstance due to getting hurt and also because management immediately turned him into a fucking ghost until he came back. A variation on the numbers game.

• Like 2

Does anyone think that Brock would be half as over as Bryan is if WWE actively conspired to kill his heat like they do with Bryan? 

It would never happen because he is Brock Lesnar.  It's a testament to Lesnar that the WWE can't screw him up.  He is too much of a beast to do the normal heel runs away nonsense and he will tell Vince to fuck off if he doesn't like creative.

If anything, this line of thinking should be a negative in Bryan's column simply because he OKs all sorts of shit booking.  The WWE absolutely needs Bryan right now, which should afford him a fair amount of leverage, but he goes out there and spouts off the Roman was the better man nonsense and then settles for an IC title clusterfuck at WM?

Some might call that professionalism, but the best pros would know better.  Brock would never agree to that nonsense.  

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'd love to go back and look at the page count on Raw threads when Brock showed up compared to Raw threads with just Bryan, no Brock. I feel like when Brock shows up, shit gets real and we all want to talk about it. When Bryan shows up, Raw had a better than average match. 

I'm not voting either way yet, I just wanted to throw that out there while I was thinking about it. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness, Bryan got my vote because he's basically been the solid rocket booster for Roman's push. Bryan carried the promotion. Plus, he made Kane interesting...almost.

Brock is a monster, and an attraction. Bryan is a wrestler. A wrestler, might I add, who was never supposed to make it to "the majors" much less wrestle TWICE on one Mania card.

By the way, none of you non-Brock voting fucks have refuted one of Jrag's stronger points, which is Heyman. Heyman is as much of Brock's act as anyone else and that's the best fucking act in the WWE.

By the way, none of you non-Brock voting fucks have refuted one of Jrag's stronger points, which is Heyman. Heyman is as much of Brock's act as anyone else and that's the best fucking act in the WWE.

I voted for Lesnar, but Im not chocking up Heymans promo work as a reason to vote for Lesnar anymore then I would for any of Lesnars opponents.

Yeah, but those people are now doing the YES and NO shit for everyone. That's not exclusively Bryan's anymore, but he still gets a lot of it.

So LOL at people casting away their cynicism by taking part in segments with other superstars who have co-opted the YES stuff. Sure, go on, keep believing that.

Counter-argument: Arenas full of people chanting 'Yes' in unison mean a vote for Bryan is a vote for people casting away their cynicism and cheering for their hero.Don't be daft.

Exactly. You can find silly reasons to vote for anyone that's not based on something they actually did. I wouldn't have voted Swagger based on Veb, and Swagger was actually generally there for those promos.

Yeah, but those people are now doing the YES and NO shit for everyone. That's not exclusively Bryan's anymore, but he still gets a lot of it.

So LOL at people casting away their cynicism by taking part in segments with other superstars who have co-opted the YES stuff. Sure, go on, keep believing that.

Your argument is still based around something Lesnar did not do to help Lesnar. It's silly at best, ridiculous at worst.

Brock has entertained me more than I thought he would and hasn't done anything to annoy me as much as when Bryan grabs the back of his neck. I guess you've got to dumb down your selling for dummies but, like, doesn't everyone know if your neck is really the problem, you wouldn't even be able to lift your hands to grab your neck?

The effects of a stinger can be brief and doesn't have to play in to the rest of the match and doesn't mean a broken neck, just that it's a minor problem that you have to overcome.

If you get a stinger, then you'd lose the match. There would be no coming back from it, and generally you'd be leaving the arena on a stretcher as a precaution. Even if they are trying to sell a stinger (which is silly), it would look completely unnatural for the match to continue beyond that point.

In terms of getting lots of people to chant along with you, that's one nice skill to have.  But remember that hasn't been Brock's job this year.  His acting in his bits has a different and less measurable purpose.  He's not trying to get you to react in unison of boo or clap, but to be kind of silently in awe at how 1) frightening and 2) believable he is.

That's a different kind of acting with its own challenges, and much less obvious rewards in terms of crowd response.

Maybe Brock couldn't get people to chant if he needed to, but I don't think Bryan could create a character like Brock's either.  I can't remember the last time I saw a wrestling character who was that recognizable as a particular type of real-world horrible person that I would go around the block to avoid having to walk near.

• Like 1

The effects of a stinger can be brief and doesn't have to play in to the rest of the match and doesn't mean a broken neck, just that it's a minor problem that you have to overcome.

If you get a stinger, then you'd lose the match. There would be no coming back from it, and generally you'd be leaving the arena on a stretcher as a precaution. Even if they are trying to sell a stinger (which is silly), it would look completely unnatural for the match to continue beyond that point.

Except there was that match where Bryan had a stinger that prevented him from using his hands but didn't prevent him from running away from the ringside doctor and being pissed at Triple H for stopping the match afterwards, which means he thought he could've continued, now transfer that over to kayfabe. Except he wouldn't be able to since he couldn't rely on kicks since he has to do that stupid hand clasp thing before he kicks someone and if he can't clasp his hands, he can't kick, so he would be fucked and would lose I guess. Unless he ran away from his opponent like he ran away from the doctor, then he might be a funny enough comedy wrestler to be worth voting for. Not over Brock Lesnar though.

I don't see how needing a mouth piece to speak for you, let alone to show up as your proxy because you can't be arsed to show up is a point in your favor.

Also, the idea that they couldn't screw up Brock? They very nearly did, and it took ending the streak, squashing John Cena, and being sparsely used to fix it.

Finally, Cesaro's baby face push got derailed so they could keep Brock fresh.

It feels like we've gotten past the decent comparison arguments and now we're getting into jokes, trolls, and people who feel the need to shit on Lesnar or Bryan to justify a vote for the other.

I know it's been a year, but you gotta remember that's how this always works, right?