DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: ALBERTO EL PATRON vs. DREW GULAK

ALBERTO EL PATRON vs. DREW GULAK  

90 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I watched a bunch of Gulak matches on youtube. The first four or five didn't do anything for me, though that was usually almost entirely on the shoulders of his opponents. Then I watched that Gacy match Dylan highlighted and I was blown away. That's the kind of pro wrestling I love. I think there were three rope runs in the entire 35 minutes, no Irish whips, every slam was a struggle to execute, really great limb work, chain wrestling, and counters to escape holds. Gacy was fine but the match was noticably worse off when he was on offense but thankfully that was for about 20-30% of the match. And, when he was on offense, Gulak sold his offense in such a believable, neat way by coughing and hacking. Drew just stretched his joints and focused on the knee and ankle (which makes sense for a variety of reasons, least of which is Gacy's backbreaker would be less effective). Excellent match and an all world performance by Gulak. I get the hype now. I'd love to see his CZW stuff with Busick but it's not on VOD and Highspots charges $25 shipping to Canada, so fuck them.

Here's the match in question, I highly recommend it:

• Like 2

To clear it up since everyone else is being obtuse due to their Chikara markdom - Gulak is/was one of the Ants (fuck me if I can remember which one - Soldier I think)

Oh, really?

Can I add another vote for Gulak then?  Because I think I like him a lot more now.

I don't dislike Alberto as much as many folks do - he is just like a writer who needs an editor to reign him in. Basically he is Meltzer.

God there were some of his matches that went on FAR too long.

He would have thrived as a TV champ in an era were all matches had 10 minute time limits

Hmm. Anyone willing to give up two rounds of Lesnar votes for me to NOT pick Alberto? 

This is going to work I know it!

Well now that you're trying to bid me up: Vote for Alberto or I vote for Bryan.

Are we really playing this game? Vote for Gulak or I vote for Bryan, and if Lesnar advances, I'm voting against him every round till he's out.

Yeah, Fox is the drizzling shits. He's everything I dislike about indy wrestling. I was tempted to just vote for ADR and stop the suffering but I could tell that Gulak had more to offer.

So what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't have judged Gulak on the match posted here?  I hated that match and figured the story of ADR slapping a racist made him better than whatever could have come from Gulak if that was representative of his year.  Seriously, the matches posted should be a decent representation of what a guy did over the last year.  I haven't watched a lot of these guys but if I'm not interested in watching more of a worker based on their posted match they aren't getting my vote. 

Hmm. Anyone willing to give up two rounds of Lesnar votes for me to NOT pick Alberto? 

This is going to work I know it!

Well now that you're trying to bid me up: Vote for Alberto or I vote for Bryan.

Are we really playing this game? Vote for Gulak or I vote for Bryan, and if Lesnar advances, I'm voting against him every round till he's out.

How about I accept your original deal and we save the spite voting for a later round...