DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: ALBERTO EL PATRON vs. DREW GULAK

ALBERTO EL PATRON vs. DREW GULAK  

90 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Hmm. Anyone willing to give up two rounds of Lesnar votes for me to NOT pick Alberto? 

This is going to work I know it!

Well now that you're trying to bid me up: Vote for Alberto or I vote for Bryan.

Are we really playing this game? Vote for Gulak or I vote for Bryan, and if Lesnar advances, I'm voting against him every round till he's out.

THIS IS MARCH MADNESS!!!!!!

this_is_sparta_125436.jpg

voted alberto, fuck chikara forever

the FSW position was eliminated, not vacated

haha totally fair

I'm going to be a little more articulate on why fuck chikara forever, because I got asked about this by someone on the board in PM a few months ago and went into deep detail, so, here.

"It started around the mid-point of the BDK story-line when it started to spin its wheels a little but at least I was still capable of enjoying some of the guys in-ring (namely Jimmy Olsen, Helios, Pinkie Sanchez, & Osirian Portal pre-viral video). I lost interest in the story, and then at some point their tone changed really dramatically, away from wrestling storylines and towards heavier more comic-like storylines.

Like, shit, what got me interested in Chikara was everything around Kingston/Dorado and Vin Gerard/Shane Storm's whole story arc. They were uncommon wrestling stories, but they were ultimately still wrestling stories. Kingston treasures feeling strong, and Dorado took that from him by getting up, so Eddie flipped the fuck out. Gerard lied and said he was a luchador he wasn't because he felt he wouldn't get an opportunity otherwise. Shane Storm too got sold out after his own aspirations lead to people getting hurt, although more literally. That's some weird shit for a wrestling program to get into, but they did it and they did it well.

This thing they do now, with "alternate timelines" and the whole Archibald Peck thing feel more rooted in improv comedy and sitcoms than it does in pro wrestling, even if the central conceit is wrestling instead of dialog. This grates against me in the same way that a lot of that stuff grates against me. The best summary I have for that is "whimsy is the death of culture." Not that I'm asking for the SUPER EDGIEST BLOODY WRESTLING ever, but Ronald Reagan would think that stuff is A-OK and that's not ever gonna be my scene. My people are margin walkers and survivors. There's not a lot of room for "boo, he splashed the stuff bird" in my world. Although that is pretty much a perfect way to get heat in that context, it's a context that makes me think I'm surrounded by drones and makes me anxious enough to try to run through a wall if that's my only way out.

so, yeah. Chikara's stories got whimsical while its wrestling got worse. Not for me."

ALL THAT BEING SAID- even when I liked Chikara, I didn't think Soldier Ant was that great.

• Like 1

I dunno man, he ain't changed that much

This is just not true. On any plane of existence. He wrestles differently in basically every promotion he is in, but nothing he does as an ant looks even close to how he works elsewhere. I'm glad you trolled in order to set yourself up to pontificate about Chikara, but at least try and have a leg to stand on moving forward.

I dunno man, he ain't changed that much

This is just not true. On any plane of existence. He wrestles differently in basically every promotion he is in, but nothing he does as an ant looks even close to how he works elsewhere. I'm glad you trolled in order to set yourself up to pontificate about Chikara, but at least try and have a leg to stand on moving forward.

The thing that gets me is he's doing it in the year were this is the one guy from CHIKARA in the tournament, and the reason he's in is not CHIKARA.

I watched the matches that got posted in here and saw a guy be an unconvincing ham in a wrestling ring. What changed was that now none of his spots are memorable at all, as opposed to the three or four salute spots I remember. I'm sorry for not being blown away.

and I didn't troll to set myself up or whatever. the FSW thing was to dump and walk without explaining. I'm trying to explain where I'm coming from.

That was pretty good! Drew still hammed it up a little bit- he's got good facial expressions for a venue that seats thousands but since he's not in front of that he looks like a guitarist doing Townsend windmills in front of a dozen people and at least one parent- but that was a significantly better and different match than the other stuff in here. I came away from it feeling more about Biff Busick though, who I am stunned to learn is not another British comedy guy. I still probably would've voted for Bertie, but hey, I was wrong on Gulak.