DVDVR Message Board

CFL OFFSEASON

DEAN

A few notes of random stuff I've thrown together mostly from CFL twitter sources.

- There's been some chatter out of this year about maybe bumping the start of the year back 2 or 3 weeks so the Grey Cup isn't so deep into November and there would be more summer games, but it seems to have died down a lot in the last few weeks. I'm not really sure this idea has any legs. I'm not personally opposed to this at all, as someone that has been to a few cold weather Grey Cups and west finals.

- Edmonton traded Fred Stamps to Montreal for Kenny Stafford. A lot of Esks fans hated this but I'm not really one of them. I think Stamps has an awful lot of miles on that body and I need to see him perform again before I'll believe it.

- The search for a new league commissioner is basically down to three people.

- Calgary's John Huffnagel won coach of the year. Should be a surprise to no one given their dominance.

- Winnipeg released Ian Wild so he can persue NFL opportunities.

- CFL wants to experiment with more Thursday night games, including Thursday night doubleheaders. Fan reaction has been pretty negative that I have seen but the TV people seem to like the idea. You can probably guess how that ends. This idea is terrible so I expect it will be full speed ahead.

- LB Shaun Lemon leaves Calgary to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

- CB Delvin Breaux leaves Hamilton to sign with the New Orleans Saints.

- With the current mass drop in oil prices hitting the Canadian dollar pretty hard, at least one major CFL agent has advised American players to leave that money in Canadian banks for now whenever possible. "Don't bring it home, don't bring it across the border."

- Argos WR John Chiles was released so he can sign with the Chicago Bears

- Bombers coach Mike O'Shea intends to not let his assistants speak to the media. At all. For the whole season. Good luck with that.

- Riders traded Ricky Foley to the Argos for Shea Emery

- There's been some chatter out of this year about maybe bumping the start of the year back 2 or 3 weeks so the Grey Cup isn't so deep into November and there would be more summer games, but it seems to have died down a lot in the last few weeks. I'm not really sure this idea has any legs. I'm not personally opposed to this at all, as someone that has been to a few cold weather Grey Cups and west finals.

THIS.

Even in October, it can get pretty miserably cold at night in Winnipeg, especially if you're like me and always ends up in the upper bowl at games. Shaving off a couple cold games and adding a couple more nice games would be a major influence on how many I decide to attend. The Bombers not being pieces of shit would help too.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting note in the stories about Michael Sam applying to be in the NFL Veteran's Combine.

Apparently the Als have a standing one year contract offer out to him - and he will take it if he doesn't get an invite to the combine/sign with a team

Any of you guys know of a place In Hamilton where I can get TiCats gear that's opened on a Sunday (driving through on my way to Buffalo and apparently the team store is closed on Sunday). As for schedule I'm hoping for a three day stretch with games in Montreal/Ottawa-Toronto-Hamilton so I can do an epic CFL road trip (I'd settle for Toronto-Hamilton on back to back days. Really want to go to see my TiCats).

Considering a giant percentage of Canadian players played college in the US, wouldn't they also be international players.  Yes, I am filled with hatred and confusion.