DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

If this board had a mutant ability, it would be turning any conversation in to one about merch sales. 

I kinda thought the board's mutant ability was being able to judge every pro wrestler by the quality of his punches.  PUNCHES!

• Like 1

I finally watched X-Men: Days of Future Past yesterday and pretty much loved it.

I can't believe you discussed this movie for the last ten pages and nobody has asked the following question yet:

If Star Trek exists in the X-Men movie universe, who will play Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation?

I finally watched X-Men: Days of Future Past yesterday and pretty much loved it.

I can't believe you discussed this movie for the last ten pages and nobody has asked the following question yet:

If Star Trek exists in the X-Men movie universe, who will play Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation?

You know how these things like to get all meta ... we'll have a scene where past-Prof X is watching an episode of TNG, and some other people in the background are arguing who was the better captain, Kirk or "that bald guy." And Xavier just looks contemplatively at the screen and mutters, "... bald ..."

• Like 1

Garfield is too confident as Peter for sure but he is a fantastic Spiderman. I'm curious how a Sinister 6 movie would work. So the villains are the lead and we get a small amount of Spiderman and no Peter Parker? That's going to be a challenge on a few levels.

But we'll get ORIGIN STORIES~! for Doc Ock, Vulture, Mysterio, and Kraven!  It'll be great!

(it will not be great)

(re: Spider-Man)

Lets not overreact here.  It's at 678 million world wide.  The rumored break-even point was something like 750 million.  That's not taking into account merchandise sales and dvd/blu-ray/digital sales, and eventually streaming rights/tv rights/etc and ppv and blah blah blah.

The movie isn't going to end up actually costing Sony money.  My guess is they probably scale down the budget a bit, but they aren't done.

I agree that they will make money. But with these big movies, they need to make a pretty decent amount of money to placate stockholders and such. "Not losing money" isn't nearly good enough.  (and does that 678M number count the cut that the theaters take?  I admit I don't know much about how all that works out.  I guess if 750M is the break even, then that must include the variables.)

Surely somebody at Sony is thinking about how much they can possibly make off of Venom and Sinister Six movies and comparing it to how much they could make by just selling off the property to Marvel.

The main downside is that the reboot surely makes Marvel less interested in buying SM back. Of course they'd still want him, but they'd be willing to pay less given that they'd have to either continue the current iteration (which would probably cost them more money and provide a crappy launching pad for Marvel Studio's version of SM) or do another reboot, which would mean they'd want to sit on it for several years.

Hmm, maybe they could do a Spidey/Hulk movie.  Perhaps the best way for Marvel to use Spider-Man if they got him back in the near future.  Or maybe a TV series.

Anyway, I could imagine that the announcements of "universe building" by Sony could be a ploy to give them leverage in a negotiation with Marvel Studios.

ETA: Surely Sony knows that the endgame is Marvel buying SM back at some point.  That's the only longterm move.  The idea must be to try to squeeze all you can get out of it before selling, then find a way to get the price as high as possible.  The reboot was the squeeze, and maybe the Venom/S6 stuff is they way to inflate the price.  Or maybe they're just going to squeeze it until it's dry, then sell it for a lower price.  Unwise IMHO, but they make the big bucks. 

Sony's film division is one of the few profitable divisions of the company which isn't exactly in the greatest shape. Several large shareholders have already called for Sony to sell/spinoff films/TV division. Another one or two underwhelming Spidey films could prompt Sony to selling it back to Marvel so as to not erode the general profitability of the studio (I can't imagine the price going for much under $1B, Spidey is by far the most valuable Marvel IP).

Disney really has no incentive to buy the Spider-Man film rights. They've already shown they can use the properties they DO have and make the third-highest grossing movie EVER. Also remember the studio's famed penny-pinching, even with actor salaries. "It would be cool" is not a justification to studio execs.

If it ever happened, it would be a mercy purchase, like when Vince bought WCW. Throw 'em a few pennies, then make millions off the property.

And if Guardians does comparable business to recent Spider-Man movies, it proves they don't need to spend money to make money. Forget that, as long as it doesn't flat out bomb, it'll show the people in charge that they can sell ANYTHING, even without brand recognition.

The studio only cares about dollars, not iconography or nifty Marvel Team-Ups.

But would, say, Avengers 3 make enough additional money with Spider-Man to cover the cost of acquiring it? More than it would make without him? If it costs $500 million to buy the rights (total pull it out my ass figure), will Avengers make more than $2 billion to compensate? There's not much room for improvement above "third highest grossing movie ever."

I won't be shocked if Guardians winds up making pretty close to ASM2 numbers domestically (I've been saying around 185 for a couple years now, and I stick by the prediction, at least until actual data on ticket sales becomes a thing in the week or so before it opens) but  I'd be fairly surprised if it goes over 500 foreign the way Spidey has.

I don't think Marvel would reacquire Spidey until Sony makes another film or two, so by that time I'd expect that Marvel would be rebooting their universe. And obviously the cost of purchasing the IP from Sony doesn't have to be made up from just ONE movie.

I love how a $150M production budget is now in the "you don't need to spend money to make money" range

I meant you don't need to spend MORE money. With budgets that large, there's no reason to go throwing cash at other studios to make them even BIGGER.

The cost of acquiring the IP wouldn't be factored into the movies budget. It's like saying the budget for Star Wars: Episode 7 is $4.2B. Once you have the IP rights, you can stretch the purchase price out over as many films/shows/whatever Disney wants.

I think Spidey is all played out. I know its a different studio, but Fantastic Four? I know Fox is redoing it, but if I'm Disney, that's the one you would want to go after if it became available. . . .

No need for Spidey to go back to Marvel. Sony has done a fine job with the character and has actually improved others such as Electro.

Electro starting off as Ed Grimley is an improvement? If you mean design, okay. But the characterization -- both of Max Dillon and Electro -- was awful.