DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Yeah, calling someone Underoos sure is grimdark.

It's the "Is she with you?" of the trailer, a light moment at the end of heroes beating each other up. 

Batman Begins is called dark, it still had Batman asking Gordon if he could drive stick.

Washington, DC was a criminal organization trying to take down Cap and failing miserably, New York was aliens invading and Tony was RESPONSIBLE for the last disaster, but is now somehow in charge of the Government's program?

But you didn't answer, how is Tony 100% in the wrong when Cap is harboring Bucky?

Ultron. Tony did create him, after all.

Washington, DC was a criminal organization trying to take down Cap and failing miserably, New York was aliens invading and Tony was RESPONSIBLE for the last disaster, but is now somehow in charge of the Government's program?

But you didn't answer, how is Tony 100% in the wrong when Cap is harboring Bucky?

Ultron. Tony did create him, after all.

So how is Tony wrong for agreeing that The Avengers need to be held accountable for things they do?

And how is Cap right for holding his own judgement above all others again?

Because Hydra infiltrated the government, basically. He's seen that things are corrupt and even tearing a lot of it down wasn't enough. He knows he can trust himself and those who work with him. Right now, he doesn't feel like he can hand that off. He has the power. He has the responsibility. He'll do his best to hold the line until they can create a better situation.

Tony, on the other hand, wants to hand it over. He's like a little kid. He knows he messed up. He's traumatized. He's afraid. He just wants to do anything he can do not be responsible anymore. He says it in the trailer. He doesn't care what it looks like. It just has to be done, damn the execution, damn the consequences. In the comics, and I don't like the comics, the whole point of Tony siding with the government was that it was going to happen one way or another and this way he could have a hand on it and help guide it through. Here, seemingly, he's trying to pass the buck.

They're both wrong. There is no right. They both come from an understandable, human place. One of them is trying to do his best. The other is failing to try at all.

How is that anything like what I said?

If you want to know how much I liked Guardians, go check James Gunn's Twitter. January 2nd to be exact.

I never said you disliked Guardians.  But your complaints did remind me of FSW.

Seems like Ligerbusa is taking the Fat Spanish Waiter/Guardians of the Galaxy role here and now.

To be fair FSW gave in once we got him to start reading the DnA run Guardians was based on.

That last trailer was great. The costume for the new guy looks fine. Its more the CG for that particular moment that didn't look so good. Hopefully it looks better in the actual film.

Here's a nice uncompressed image of Spider-Man from the trailer that shows off all the details of his new suit:

ZKFeKoB.jpg

You can basically see what they are going for with the expressive eyes.  The black edged rims adjust and slide over the white eye lens part.  That's an interesting take on how to incorporate basically an artistic interpretation of Spider-Man's eyes considering in the comics it was always just a cloth mask.  

On the "is Stark right?" thing, it's important to remember one thing: nearly ALL of Tony's enemies were originally created by Tony himself. It was his technology that was stolen by Stane and Vanko, his bahavior that led to Hammer's shenanigans, his snubbing of Killian which directly caused the whole "Mandarin" deal, his weapons which compelled Wanda and Pietro to volunteer for mad science experiments, and oh yeah he single-handedly created the entire Ultron genocide in his LAST attempt at controlling all the super-problems in the world.

Meanwhile, who else on the pro-registration side in a governmental capacity has ever done any good? Thunderbolt Ross has never done anything but make things worse. SHIELD caused at least as many problems as it solved. And let's not forget how easily THEIR previous attempt at controlling all the super-problems in the world was so thoroughly corrupted and sabotaged.

Meanwhiler... when has Cap ever been disastrously wrong? He never causes problems, he only fixes all the disasters which came from other people's fuckups. He's the guy whose entire schtick is that he's always right, that he's the most ethical and philosophically wise person in the entire MCU. The only time I can remember when he had a hand in a complete FUBAR situation was when Loki tricked them into his plan to raid the Helicarrier... and that was entirely caused by Rogers listening to Stark and letting others give the orders instead of taking charge himself.

And yeah, Bucky's a former enemy... AND THEY READILY ACCEPT FORMER ENEMIES ALL THE TIME. Literally every single one of these heroes have been designated "the bad guy" by the authority at some point or another. Iron Man was once an illegal criminal. Thor was once an illegal criminal. The Hulk was nothing BUT an illegal criminal, constantly hunted by the government. Ant-Man is a convicted felon. Captain America went AWOL at least a couple different times. Hawkeye got mind-controlled (much like Bucky) and turned evil for a while. Black Widow was a freakin' Soviet agent. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were both Hydra agents. Vision was basically Ultron's clone/son. Hell, Thor even decided to trust Loki again the last time they showed up. And Nick Fury constantly lies to absolutely everyone about everything at all times, yet they still let him tag along and listen to what he says. Compared to all that, how does Bucky (who was, remember, a loyal American soldier back before he got brainwashed) somehow qualify as being completely out of the question for rehabilitation?

• Like 5

Tony created his enemies, because he had no accountability.  So now he's wrong for wanting accountablilty?

Bucky being able to be reformed is irrelevant to the fact that, going by the trailers, he's wanted as the primary suspect in bombing whatever building that is that got blown up in the trailer.  So Cap's right for harboring him using his superhero team that's above the law?

Again, how is Cap not the tyrannical bad guy in his own movie?  And how is Tony wrong?

Tony created his enemies, because he had no accountability.  So now he's wrong for wanting accountablilty?

Bucky being able to be reformed is irrelevant to the fact that, going by the trailers, he's wanted as the primary suspect in bombing whatever building that is that got blown up in the trailer.  So Cap's right for harboring him using his superhero team that's above the law?

Again, how is Cap not the tyrannical bad guy in his own movie?  And how is Tony wrong?

Do you disagree with how I put things on the last page?

You have the most agreeable stance to me.  But I argue that it doesn't make Tony 100% wrong, or not make Cap a bad guy because Cap's made some astoundingly shitty decisions too (see the climax of Winter Soldier).  

I'm more arguing the people that think Stark's the bad guy and Cap's the good guy.  They're both wrong, both equally shitty, and it's my whole problem with the MCU, everyone's shitty and has done shitty things, and then act above reproach.  Shit, Tony's the only one that's admitted to fucking up huge.