DVDVR Message Board

FERGUSON, MISSOURI

Niners Fan in CT

Police suited up and armed like something out of Call of Duty, ordering peaceful protestors back into their homes, shooting rubber bullets into crowds and tear gas into neighborhoods. I can't believe this is America..  Sure, there is some looting going on but the majority of people out there are peaceful and the police are greeting them with violence instead of addressing the issue.

This is the price we pay for "Safety and Freedom" in our post 9/11 world.

I'm usually very pro-cop, even if I vehemetly disagreed with Boston PD's methods after the Marathon, but there's no way anyone can defend what the cops are doing in Ferguson.  None.  

But this is what we wanted, right?  This is our safety, right?

EDIT: Clarification, I am *NOT* taking a shot any anyone in this thread or trying to start a battle that gets a fourth venting thread closed.  Just venting out a bit on a really shitty situation.

Anyone following this on social media can see that the actions taken by the police in this situation are extreme. It's too bad the 24/7 news channels are giving it at most a couple minutes on the hour... I'm not saying they shouldn't cover Robin Williams or anything else but this is a huge story and I feel like our media is trying to sweep it under the rug.

• Like 3

Christopher Hayes @chrislhayes

Police in Ferguson currently not allowing our reporter @trymainelee to go to the camera position for our report.

So maybe I was wrong. This has been going on all week apparently..Saw it's a no fly zone also. They don't want the media capturing police brutality.

The FAA nixed the no-fly zone pretty quickly.

The cops apparently just arrested two reporters near the protest.  

Cops over the loudspeakers: "Your right to assembly is not being denied."  

Yeah - I'm not going to post too much about this story but I urge everyone to go to social media or reliable websites (forget CNN and the like) and read about what's going on. It's fucking insane.

Edit:  what the fuck?

Bomani Jones  @bomani_jones

gotta say, locking up a reporter from the washington post isn’t a wise move if you want a story to go away. seems an amateur move.

• Like 1

That video is on repeat on MSNBC right now. No sound, but otherwise the same. Looks like the national media is finally catching the fuck up.

It took what... four days?  This is why I can't fuck with our press anymore. It's pretty sad that I have to turn to twitter and overseas news to get the story on what's going on in our own fucking backyard.

• Like 1

Not trying to be an troll at all with this, but has martial law been declared? Because that's what it sounds like. . . .my God. . . 

One of the things that suddenly seems clear and troubling is that thousands of independent county-level police forces have enough military firepower to essentially unilaterally produce martial law without it legally being declared and without any oversight or input from anyone outside, at the state or federal level.

Your county sheriff decides to disconnect your town from the rest of the country, and the rest of the country watches it as if it was happening in another part of the world.

Unless you're a white Nevada Rancher.  Then you can point sniper rifles directly at law enforcement and they'll take a "let's wait and see" approach.

• Like 9

This has been building for years and it's really pathetic to see it happen. Small area police forces thinking they need anti-terrorist level warfare tactics and training all over the place.