DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

On 12/5/2020 at 10:46 PM, Contentious C said:

For me it was duvet covers.  Plural, because you gotta have one to go back on the bed while the first one is in the wash.  Thought 1: "Oh shit, I'm old."  Thought 2: "Yeah, but the bed will have so much less cat hair on it this way; aces!"

That's not a bad idea.  Love the little furball but he sure loves sleeping on the bed so this may end up happening.

And I can tell I'm getting old when I'm watching "Hogan's Heroes" this morning and found myself kind of enjoying it.  Good show but man did it make me feel every bit of the gray hairs on me.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Catburglar, turdburglar, what's the difference?

Yeah, really! Considering the time of year, it's even worse. Unless, it was some misguided Robin Hood-type, making sure some poor old cat lady's Christmas is saved? Also, I'd really hate to start nasty and totally unfounded rumours about fellow posters, but has anyone checked OSJ's alibi yet? I mean the sheer amount of those cats must make him at the very least a person of interest, right?

Edited by Shartnado
Too many the's
  • Haha 2

On 12/18/2020 at 1:36 AM, Shartnado said:

Yeah, really! Considering the time of year, it's even worse. Unless, it was some misguided Robin Hood-type, making sure some poor old cat lady's Christmas is saved? Also, I'd really hate to start nasty and totally unfounded rumours about fellow posters, but has anyone checked OSJ's alibi yet? I mean the sheer amount of those cats must make him at the very least a person of interest, right?

Amusingly enough, last week we took delivery of two huge boxes from Chewy.com. One was cans of cat food and jars of treats, the other box was litter. We have eight and when the ground is frozen they poop up a storm inside.

• Like 1

I had actually forgotten but my aunt and uncle caught Covid and are thankfully now through it. Apparently, physically, they just got really tired according to them. They're older than my dad by a couple years (70s) so this is really good news. 

The other aunt and uncle are pushing or at 80 and the aunt is possibly (they're keeping silent on it) suffering from Alzheimer's so hopefully they're doing the right thing, but knowing Southeast Missouri and its residents... who knows.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Update: The aunt and uncle that had the rona isolated. The other aunt and uncle didn't. Neither did my uncle on the other side and his three daughters, ex-wife and however many spawn those cousins have now. *sigh*

For fuck's sake! Sorry to hear that!

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I feel like I've repeated this so many times this year:

You can't change stupid. You can change ignorant; you can't change stupid. 

This. My cousin (56) barely survived COVID (this is no exaggeration, for a day or two, it looked to be 50-50 if he will make it or not) and a couple of weeks after he got out of hospital, he wrote a letter to the editor (I hope that's the correct English term for what I mean) of the biggest local newspaper (something like 100k readers daily) complaining about the existence of anti-COVID measures like closed bars, not getting that if those measures were not in place and he got COVID a couple of weeks later, there might not have been the capacities for the necessary treatment, i.e. he would be dead.

• Sad 2

Exchange I had at work today:

Customer: *complaining about having to wear a mask over his mouth and nose, saying they aren't necessary, etc* "And besides it's not that bad, I've heard it's no worse than the flu.

Me: My otherwise perfectly healthy 65 year old mother died from it 3 weeks ago. 

Customer: *looks at floor, mumbles something that may have been "Sorry for your loss" and leaves)

• Like 2

I can't believe some of the responses I've seen on the news. There was one before Christmas where this young woman in an airport (wearing a mask AND a plastic shield) cheerily gave a quote about how she wasn't worried about it because she could recover anyway. You could see the bright, vapid smile on her face through both pieces of armature. 

Of course you come out where I live and the explanation you hear is our faith in Jesus protects us

If you don't live in America... just be glad you don't.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2021 at 3:02 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I can't believe some of the responses I've seen on the news. There was one before Christmas where this young woman in an airport (wearing a mask AND a plastic shield) cheerily gave a quote about how she wasn't worried about it because she could recover anyway. You could see the bright, vapid smile on her face through both pieces of armature. 

Of course you come out where I live and the explanation you hear is our faith in Jesus protects us

If you don't live in America... just be glad you don't.

England isn’t much better. Our PM is going on TV later to give a briefing about how awful we all are and how it’s our fault... twelve hours after he stood in rooms watching people get vaccinated. And the media won’t ask him why the fuck he’s allowed to be in a room while someone is getting vaccinated.

This country is the fucking worst sometimes.

• Sad 2

Got a AAA letter/membership thing for my dad today at my house.  

Dad's been dead for 4-1/2 years and never even saw my house let alone lived here.

Mom (who also doesn't live in my house) and I got a good chuckle out of that.

That reminds of when we got a letter for my grandfather, who died in the late 1960s, in (approx.) 1990 (he would have been about 90 back then, so even if the sender did not know that he died more than 20 years earlier, there were good chances that he was dead by that point).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So how old is DVDVR anyway?  I was trying to remember last night when I found my way here the first time.  Definitely by the mid-00's, because I remember talking to...someone about being a moderator at the same time I was moderating another site and that had to be 2005 (my one and only stint as a mod anywhere), but I think I was here long before that.  Early 2000's, maybe even late 90's sounds about right.  Is this site that old?

My memory is mush.  All the various board crashes and gimmick posters are running together.  When was the green board with the infamous sleaze thread?