DVDVR Message Board

June 2014 Football thread

The Natural

Footie besides the World Cup?

Transfers of course. Immobilie transfers to Dortmund, haven´t read anything about a fee, but apparently he gets a five year contract. After Dortmund lost the Bundesliga top goalscorer, they now won Serie A´s No.1-striker. I haven´t seen nearly enough of the guy to judge if this is a good transfer for Dortmund, but I remember being confused reading the initial news because "Immobilie" is also a german term for "real estate".

He appears to be MLS bound.

Most likely to join Villa at NYC, if my US Soccer twitter feeds are to be believed.

Which would shoot NYCFC's Designated Player spots to hell before they even sign a domestic guy.  (Actually, I think you start with 3 unless you buy an extra slot off a team with one to spare.)

FIFA ethics investigator won’t review new corruption allegations against Qatar

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/fifa-ethics-head-wont-examine-new-corruption-charges/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRundownNewsBlog+%28The+Rundown+News+Blog%29

because of course not...why would the ethics investigator care about the most unethical corruption scandal in FIFA's history?  We've got deadlines to meet people

"Qatar’s World Cup bid has been wrought with controversy since it was announced. Aside from the claims of bribery, allegations of slave labor have plagued the construction of Qatar’s World Cup infrastructure. The Guardian reported in September instances of forced labor and highlighted the substandard working conditions that have already led to the deaths of at least 185 Nepalese migrant workers, with as many as 4,000 more predicted to die before Qatar’s preparations are finished."

But slave labor...4000 people dying...nothing to see here, business as usual

He appears to be MLS bound.

Most likely to join Villa at NYC, if my US Soccer twitter feeds are to be believed.

Which would shoot NYCFC's Designated Player spots to hell before they even sign a domestic guy.  (Actually, I think you start with 3 unless you buy an extra slot off a team with one to spare.)

League will rig things for their new pet team. MLS is about as legit as WWE.

As for Fat Frank, how ironic is it that "NYC's team" is signing a guy who drunkenly mocked stranded Americans after 9/11? We'll be sure to let him know we didn't forget about that.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Our new manager

960x.jpg

Ronny Deila.  I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on the Tippeligaen, but he's got a good record of taking a club up the table and winning trophies (Stromgodset).  I've liked most of our foreign appointments over the years (Jansen & Dr. Jo Venglos) so I'm excited about it. 

Edited to add that Jansen signed Larsson and Venglos Lubo Moravcik, two of our biggest heroes in my years supporting Celtic, so odds are this guy signs a hero. 

No, it's not Craig Gordon.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Mate who couldn't win the league with Celtic right now?

Well there's more than just winning the league. Qualifying for the CL and playing in a fashion that Celtic fans would like are important.  Deila is supposed to be a mini-Klopp and had Stromsgodset playing attractive football on a shoestring budget, so that's encouraging.