DVDVR Message Board

E3 2014.

And now a pre-choreographed dance routine to demonstrate Just Dance Now, the smartphone/TV combo freebie thing.  I suppose this could be fun but this demo would work better if it was actually people playing instead of just pretending to play.

Its Aisha, she doesn't have much else.

True.  She pretty much loses all of her considerable appeal as soon as she starts talking.

Its Aisha, she doesn't have much else.

True.  She pretty much loses all of her considerable appeal as soon as she starts talking.

She's her best in the new Whose Line. All she has to do it read the cards.

And now a trailer for The Crew, an MMO racing game that promises to include no loading screens and "the entirety of the United States, coast to coast".  If I can drive in an accurate Spokane, WA or my old hometown of Pontiac, MI, SIGN ME UP.

Gotta admit, the way they edited up the Hardline gameplay trailer was pretty cool.  And now they've just introduced a closed beta for PS4.

And, oh yeah, 1080p60!

That was so intense. The cops'n'robbers theme looks like a great sense of direction for what was feeling like somewhat stale gameplay. There was just sooo much going on in the trailer with all of the gadgets, weapons, interactions with the environment, etc. I'm excited.

FIFA player models still don't look fantastic, but I'm holding out hope it's a worthwhile upgrade (doubtful). NHL looked neat but they didn't give us much to look at.

Could not agree more.  I love FPS and was getting burned out on the sameness of everything.  I completely gave up on COD with Ghost and switched over to Battlefield 4 which in my opinion blows COD away easily.  Just so many more options in Battlefield in terms of changing the way you approach and play a match.  And when I saw Hardline with the cops and robbers theme it seems like such a good idea for trying something new in the mainstream FPS multiplayer genre.  Really looking forward to it.  The only shitty thing about it is that it comes out around the same time as Destiny...

And now an extended trailer for Assassin's Creed Unity featuring a weird cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".  It looks amazing but it's all obviously scripted sequence stuff and not actual gameplay.  I don't care.  I want this game.  Yesterday.  But it's a Ubisoft AC game so I won't buy it on release day - I'll wait 60 days and pay half-price like always ;)

And now an actual gameplay demo for Unity and OMG it looks incredible.  I am constantly in awe at the level of detail that Ubisoft gets into their AC games.

And now Shape Up, a fitness game for the Xbone.  Gameplay demo includes the producer doing a Dance Dance Revolution thing.  The game actually shows an accurate, fully modeled 3D model of yourself in real-time and that looks really good.  I can see where that would be a lot of fun.

Up next is Valiant Hearts, a highly-stylized 2D puzzle story game set in World War I and follows a first aid dog.  I have no idea what the gameplay actually is but the story looks like it's going to be gut wrenching.  

God damn do AAA games ever look more and more boring as the years go by and the budgets swell. I was more excited about the brief indie game montage in Microsoft's conference than I was anything else. I'm interested in learning more about Tomb Raider 2 since the first one was excellent but outside of that, there's just nothing that appeals to me. I love me some Mass Effect and Star Wars Battlefront but we already knew they were working on that stuff. I'd really love to see more of that Criterion game down the line as the Burnout series is still one of my favourites but yeah, a bunch of devs talking about it doesn't set my fires going too much.

Does anyone know if CUPHEAD is being shown at the show? That looked like the blatant stand-out from an art direction perspective.

Yves Guillemot pulls the "one more game" thing and shows us...a "pre-alpha" gameplay match featuring the clearest in-game audio of all-time for... Rainbow Six Siege.  It looks really cool but was also very obviously scripted and pre-planned and not "real" gameplay.

• Like 1

And that wraps up Ubisoft.  That was a home run for Ubisoft, without a doubt.  Just Dance and Shape Up won't be bought by me but their other titles all looked awesome.

I'm legit pretty excited for the Ratchet and Clank 1 remake/re-imagining.Between the writers not really having figured out who the characters were yet and the much harsher gameplay (4 hit points upgradeable to 8 instead of the much higher maximums of the later titles, no weapon powerups until you have a shit ton of bolts AND hidden gold bolts, etc.) I have a really hard time going back to the original game but can still enjoy pretty much every other game in the series that actually plays like R&C (so, not All 4 One or FFA). Reworking the original story in a gameplay mode more similar to the rest of the series, and having it ready to go with the movie, seems like a really good idea if they can make it work.