DVDVR Message Board

Legendary Weapons of China and Man of Iron are on next Thursday (BTW, the Flying Guillotine movies tonight are great). Saturday is Arnie Day, Sunday has the Luis Valdez Director's Chair and La Bamba, Shaolin Intruders is on late Tuesday night.

In other news, they're also going to start airing a reality show about a Latino barber shop called Cutting Crew. I get the reasoning behind it, but if this means El Rey is already going the way of TLC and the rest of the cable ilk, I'm going to cry. 

In other news, they're also going to start airing a reality show about a Latino barber shop called Cutting Crew. I get the reasoning behind it, but if this means El Rey is already going the way of TLC and the rest of the cable ilk, I'm going to cry. 

Oh, Dear Lord, no.  I'd rather sit through a Matador marathon. 

I vote for the creation of Machete: The Animated Series.

• Like 1

I couldn't remember what she looked like so I did an image search. Other pictures of her are great, but this eyesore was one of the first things that came up:

sheena_easton_sheena_12__6x7S5Mx.sized.j

TOWER OF HAIR! 

The Sheena Easton eposides came on over the weekend.  Wow.

Has "Out Where The Buses Don't Run" or "Little Miss Dangerous" aired yet?

Oh, Dear Lord, no. I'd rather sit through a Matador marathon.

I vote for the creation of Machete: The Animated Series.

They need to get El Pantera on this channel.

Holy shit. I just read that Rodriguez owns the rights to the Heavy Metal franchise and has been trying to remake it for awhile. You know exactly what his next original series needs to be!

Holy shit.  An animated weekly Heavy Metal anthology series would fucking rule, but that shit would have to come on at like two in the morning. 

Game of Thrones has somewhat prepared us for an episodic Den Saga story, but our collective heads would explode if Druuna made it to cable television.

Some movie called Contamination is playing Friday night for the Grindhouse spot and I can't believe it isn't the Luigi Cozzi piece of garbage; instead it's some flick from '08 with Eric Roberts and Karen Black. The Crazies plays after. Then, there's a Carmageddon Marathon on Saturday. which is

Duel

The Road Warrior

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 

Fast Company

Taxi Driver (?)

Your follow-up kung fu flicks will be Legend of the Bat and Life Gamble.

EDIT: ALSO! El Rey has now introduced BRASS KNUCKLE MONDAYS. The first double-feature will be Road Warrior and Thunderdome. 

If it is the Contamination that I am thinking of with the crazy Russian psychiatrist, then it doesn't have nearly the trashy and endearing qualities of Cozzi's epic dreck.

The Mad Max double feature is going to be sweet.  I hope that El Rey doesn't have too many trailers of Fury Road during Road Warrior / Thunderdome.

SHAOLIN SOCCER COMES ON THIS FRIDAY AT 4PM EST~!

DVR ALERT!!  The Pei Mei double feature of Executioners from Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus comes on next Thursday. Lo Lieh plays Pei Mei in EfS so do not miss it!

• Like 1

Curt and J.T., thanks a ton for the hype and enthusiasm you two bring to these movies.  Makes me want to clear room on the DVR to record them.

Also, for as much as he wanted it Piranesi's been curiously absent from this thread.  I guess when he's not telling about Dean Ambrose he's busy watching El Rey now.

• Like 1

Whichever movie Monkey Kung Fu is playing right now (Mad Monkey Kung Fu? There are several options; the title is not correct and there were several in the genre made in '79), it's great. I'm not a big fan of comedy kung-fu but there is some amazing, Jackie Chan level stuff going on here. There was a great fight between an axe and sledgehammer-swinging guy and then another fight in a bar that were both in the highest echelon of kung fu choreography I've ever seen, along with a great deal of humor that was Three Stooges quality. Good stuff.

DVR ALERT!!  The Pei Mei double feature of Executioners from Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus comes on next Thursday. Lo Lieh plays Pei Mei in EfS so do not miss it!

He is more or less, if not in name, playing him in White Lotus as well. 

Whichever movie Monkey Kung Fu is playing right now (Mad Monkey Kung Fu? There are several options; the title is not correct and there were several in the genre made in '79), it's great. I'm not a big fan of comedy kung-fu but there is some amazing, Jackie Chan level stuff going on here. There was a great fight between an axe and sledgehammer-swinging guy and then another fight in a bar that were both in the highest echelon of kung fu choreography I've ever seen, along with a great deal of humor that was Three Stooges quality. Good stuff.

That sounds all well and good, but once I saw Dirty Ho I just have a hard time grasping comedic kung fu.  It's mainly because that movie was so damn good and hit all the right notes for me.  It's just hard to grasp others being at that level.  If there is a movie that is on par with Dirty Ho I'll at least DVR it.  But the wine tasting scene alone is tough to beat.

Shit, I haven't been paying attention. Zombie is TV-14? Wow, that certainly isn't the case. Let me know how Curandero turns out, looks interesting. 

CHUD is your Friday Grindhouse feature and Don't Torture A Duckling is on after. Then we have the Cutting Crew marathon on Saturday (ugh), but Sunday gives us The Kung-Fu Instructor, The Flying Dagger, Shaolin Abbot, and Maniac playing late so it won't be censored like today's pre-10 PM presentation.