DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 19: STYLES vs. NAKAMURA

STYLES vs. NAKAMURA  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Don't pick AJ.

About a year ago, I posted a long thing on these boards about judging wrestlers by how many matches they are in that are considered the best matches of their opponents career. I think it is really telling that about 4 wrestlers thus far in this tournament have had matches posted with them v. Nakamura as an example of some of their finest work. He has had a really great year. This is a no brainer for me, and I have been a fan of AJ's indy stuff lately. 

About a year ago, I posted a long thing on these boards about judging wrestlers by how many matches they are in that are considered the best matches of their opponents career. I think it is really telling that about 4 wrestlers thus far in this tournament have had matches posted with them v. Nakamura as an example of some of their finest work. He has had a really great year. This is a no brainer for me, and I have been a fan of AJ's indy stuff lately.

Just wondering, what's he done lately that was good?  I've seen Styles matches with Hero and Gulak this year and neither one especially impressed me.

I thought the Gulak match was fine, and I was surprised by how much I liked the Lethal match at ROH. To be fair, I was there live for both shows, so that may have colored my opinion. I would be interested to watch them back on film. 

I've said this before, but Nakamura is your .235 power hitter, who strikes out a lot, but every time he hits a home run the bases are loaded.  Honestly he had some annoyingly awful performances last year, but the matches with Ibushi and Sakuraba were the best one-two singles punch of any one in Japan last year.  He had some other matches I really enjoyed as well, but those two would be enough to get him by AJ

• Like 1

I haven't seen AJ's indy stuff at all. 

Nakamura's match against Ibushi that I saw a few days ago was like a billion times better than anything I saw AJ do anyway in the TNA matches I watched just to vote in this contest. Watching TNA to be able to vote in this contest fairly is maybe the only downside of this whole thing. 

Nakamura just looks really sloppy to me like he is going to throw this kick and well maybe it will be off the right by 4 inches or whatever.  But he also looks like he's trying to work a Johnny Depp in a Tim Burton movie gimmick so I guess it works.

AJ on the other hand, infuriates me for reasons I can't explain.  Like just his gloves make me wanna throw a brick through the television.  I mean I don't because I'm not made out of money Mick Foley.  But ugh, AJ Styles sucks.

If the past couple years in TNA plus looking back on older matches, AJ's quality of work is directly related to who he's in the ring with.

Nakamura is legit the #3 guy in New Japan at worst, and I could probably argue him to #2.  This isn't a contest.

Besides, AJ doesn't have any trading card pack opening videos.

AJ on the other hand, infuriates me for reasons I can't explain.  Like just his gloves make me wanna throw a brick through the television.

For me, it's when he got the obnoxious tattoo on his side that I really couldn't take him seriously anymore.