DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR SUMMER READING EXCHANGE 2013

jaedmc

Okay, I just finished Freeman today and posted my thoughts. I did two. The following people, according to my files, did zero

Mike Zeidler

CSC

Brian Fowler

Phil Schneider

Lacelle

FOR SHAME.

If I find out CSC, Phil, or Lacelle had my book--I'll cry. If I find out Zeidler had my book, it'll be ugly. If I find out Fowler had my book...

Let's hope it wasn't Fowler.

The best is that I am 99% sure CSC originally got Love Is A Mixtape and then traded because he didn't want to go through the heartbreak again.

Aww... poor life decisions

The best is that I am 99% sure CSC originally got Love Is A Mixtape and then traded because he didn't want to go through the heartbreak again.

Aww... poor life decisions

I did....but I did just finish my book this weekend when I was camping. 

I know I suck but I'll find some time to write up something sometime this week.

I got really excited to see new posts in this folder, thinking that we might have started hashing out the fall theme!Sorta sad that I need that motivation to pick up a book at the moment...

If you want, you can play "Read Along with Control's Intro. to Lit" class!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I probably should have done this weeks ago, but I'm going to start all the remaining threads, so at least the people who picked the books can discuss them.

So Burgundy will now know who didn't read her book. May Zod have mercy on your soul.

• 1 month later...

I had a blast. Maybe it would be more conducive to future discussion if it was more of a standard book club? I had a blast regardless.

I think this might be a good idea, and I've been thinking about how to implement it.

Once concept I had is everyone who wants to have a go, puts their name in the hopper. I randomly draw one name. That person picks a book. We have a set amount of time to read it. All those who participate in the discussion when the thread is opened are put in the hopper for the next discussion. You get to pick a chance to picka book if you discussed the previous book. Of course, past pickers have to wait regardless so that everyone who is participating gets a shot.

I know that io9 has previously done an Internet book club, and I wanna say that they did multiple threads with a few chapters for each. So that way there isn't really a waiting period for people to finish and people who read at different paces can still discuss spoiler free.

I know that io9 has previously done an Internet book club, and I wanna say that they did multiple threads with a few chapters for each. So that way there isn't really a waiting period for people to finish and people who read at different paces can still discuss spoiler free.

Nah - io9s are all giant free-for-all comment posts discussions.

If they broke it up by chapter - they don't anymore

Of course they can also organize chats with the author.

We suck.

You know I'm up for it. And in the future I will try to avoid picking books that begin with harrowing scenes of gruesome child birth.

Or a billion pages long

So much hate....