DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I finally got around to watching Goon and it was astonishingly good. I didn't expect it to anywhere near as good as it was. I expected a stupid sports movie but it was a lot more than that. Excellent film, highly recommended if you like hockey.

Yes! That movie was great. Sooooooo much better than you expect based on the synopsis and cast. Semi-true story, too.

This was on American Psycho's IMDB page:

Looking for a way to create the character of Patrick Bateman, Christian Bale stumbled onto a Tom Cruise appearance on David Letterman. According to American Psycho director Mary Harron, Bale saw in Cruise “this very intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes” and Bale subsequently based the character of Bateman on that.

I so want this to be true.

• Like 2

The success of Maleficent and Bates Motel gives me hope that we'll see a trend of movies/TV shows told from the bad guy's point of view.

Like, Hans Gruber's life in the German underworld before Die Hard or Cruela De Vil as a business woman driven mad by office politics and casual sexism

• Like 1

Cruella De Vil is already in pre-production.

"Do you hate dogs? Then you're gonna love Cruella De Vil!"

Seriously, I can see where you can write a story that makes Maleficent somewhat sympathetic...you got a long ways to go to make noted a noted furrier sympathetic.

• Like 1

The hunter who off'd Bambi's mom. Maybe he didn't even like hunting but his dad pressured him into it.

And he spent his life atoning.  But not by helping deer...by stalking and killing hunters.  I see no reason this movie doesn't get made.

A child and all of his household staff, no less.

That's what I always thought was a dick move. All the innocent servants too? They have to spend their lives as inanimate objects for something that wasn't anything to do with them?

No, it's an utter dick move.  I mean, yeah, the kid was a selfish brat, but the rest of them certainly didn't have any say over what a Prince decides to do with an old beggar woman at the door, right?