DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Watching The Butler and how the fuck did the US become a superpower with such a shithouse population? Watching these fucking twats drag black people out of a restaurant because they dared sit in a the "white" section - 50 years ago! My parents were alive when this shit was happening, unbelievable.

How did Germany become a super power when they were actually exterminating people?

Horrible analogy.

There's one of these tv movie biopics on just now, of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I've watched about 15 minutes, the guy playing young Arnie is pretty much perfect. Jurgen Prochnow plays older Arnie and is just hilarious, how long has he been giving this few fucks about his work? I haven't seen him in anything in years.

Watching The Butler and how the fuck did the US become a superpower with such a shithouse population? Watching these fucking twats drag black people out of a restaurant because they dared sit in a the "white" section - 50 years ago! My parents were alive when this shit was happening, unbelievable.

How did Germany become a super power when they were actually exterminating people?

One nation enslaved a particular class of people because of the surplus value their labor added to economic output, whereas the other nation exterminated a class of people because of their perceived impediment towards economic output. Not even remotely the same thing.

They were flourishing enough so that they believed they could reasonably challenge the U.S. for the role of world hegemonic power in the wake of the U.K. receding from that position (but I always found laughable that the Reich thought the English would eventually align with them). Once the hyperinflation ended in the 1930s, Germany was remarkably prosperous (although this is directly attributable to them stimulating the domestic economy via building up an army yet again, which tamed inflation and brought down unemployment. Weaponized Keynesianism~~!)

• Like 1

If the idea is just "how the fuck did countries do something so fucking evil flourish" then I can see the argument... Although I'm honestly not sure how well Nazi Germany was flourishing...

Relative to where they were before Hitler came to power? They were huge.

I guess the main thing I was amazed at is that the terrible things the US did to it's own people are so recent.

Whenever I hear people my age talk about how racism is over because of Obama, I quickly remind them tha within our parents own lifetime, blacks were still prohibited from sitting shotgun. That usually puts things in perspective for them.

• Like 1

Whenever I hear people my age talk about how racism is over because of Obama, I quickly remind them tha within our parents own lifetime, blacks were still prohibited from sitting shotgun. That usually puts things in perspective for them.

Not to mention the whole confederacy culture, which is hardly a fringe thing.

"Weaponized Keynesianism" is my new favorite way to describe World War II era Germany!

Thank You Antacular!

James

To be fair, the term is usually tossed around when budget hawks insist that cuts must be made to bring the deficit down, but when you suggest military programs to put on the chopping block, they say you can't because those cuts (and only those cuts) will raise unemployment. In short, deficit spending is always bad, except when it affects the Military-Industrial complex.

Not to mention the whole confederacy culture, which is hardly a fringe thing.

My favorite part of that are the Civil War re-enactments, especially the people who ALWAYS play the confederates. They'll take to their grave they don't see anything wrong it what they're doing, they're just "keeping alive the memory of a way of life." Yet when it comes time to commemorate Cornwallis' surrender, they're no where to be found. (Sorry FSW, didn't mean to strike a nerve)

People can ask why a film like 12 Years as a Slave needs to be made (what with it being banned for well over a century and everyone "knowing" it was wrong.)

Pretty much because some people still like to glamorize that time period and say it wasn't as horrific as it actually was.

No one but the most invalid of invalids needs to be reminded who won and lost the civil war. Cletus talks about the war of northern aggression as an attempt in historical revisionism to give his side "legitimacy" for their effort. You squash that shit as soon as they shoot off about how it was merely to preserve "states rights."

No one but the most invalid of invalids needs to be reminded who won and lost the civil war. Cletus talks about the war of northern aggression as an attempt in historical revisionism to give his side "legitimacy" for their effort. You squash that shit as soon as they shoot off about how it was merely to preserve "states rights."

Actually I agree. It was about States' rights. The rights to own people.

• Like 1

My state gave you a series of mini Hitlers: James Eastland (from my home county), John Rankin, Theodore Bilbo (responsible for a good portion of the New Deal despite being an absolutely despicable little human being), James K. Vardaman, Paul Johnson, Ross Barnett, JP Coleman (a friend of good ole JFK), John Stennis, and the GREAT Trent Lott. 

As soon as they say "states rights," you retort with "The right to do what?" 99% of them will usually stutter and muster out something about "not taking every order from the central government." The more intelligent ones have heard your retort before, and follow up with "economic sovereignty," with a smug look on their face. You stare them dead in the eyes and ask "economic sovereignty for WHO?" and still with that slight grin of contempt, go "property owners." Finally you end their mental gymnastics exhibition with "and what type of property was at the heart of this economic sovereignty?" At this point, they'll reveal their (obviously) true colors and just drop "niggers," or try to save final face with "ownership deeds." At this juncture, you can pursue further, questioning what the deeds entitled them to, but by now, they're too embarassed at being exposed as a bigot, and you're mad that this is 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back again. But you'll also feel good inside, because bigots need to be put in place.
  • Like 5

As soon as they say "states rights," you retort with "The right to do what?" 99% of them will usually stutter and muster out something about "not taking every order from the central government." The more intelligent ones have heard your retort before, and follow up with "economic sovereignty," with a smug look on their face. You stare them dead in the eyes and ask "economic sovereignty for WHO?" and still with that slight grin of contempt, go "property owners." Finally you end their mental gymnastics exhibition with "and what type of property was at the heart of this economic sovereignty?" At this point, they'll reveal their (obviously) true colors and just drop "niggers," or try to save face final face with "ownership deeds." At this juncture, you can pursue further, questioning what the deeds entitled them to, but by now, they're too embarassed at being exposed as a bigot, and you're mad that this is 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back again. But you feel good, because bigots need to be put in place.

I once stumbled upon a "review" of Ken Burns' Civil War doc on a Civil War collector's forum and what you've written was basically what was said in a nutshell. 

I once stumbled upon a "review" of Ken Burns' Civil War doc on a Civil War collector's forum and what you've written was basically what was said in a nutshell.

Anyone who tries to argue the conflict was over states rights is just doing mental gymnastics, plan and simple. It's not pure stupidity because the halfbreeds will attempt to recall the 10th amendment, and use that by masking it in the vernacular of property/individual rights to make the Souths position less despicable. I remember back in 7th grade (on Long Island, not exactly a bastion of the confederacy) hearing the "states rights" argument for the first time in Mr. Giachetto's social studies class, and immediately called bullshit. I think I literally said bullshit outloud, I got detention a lot as a kid.