DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

for all the disappointment I read about Uso vs Uso, I wasn't aware of there being a reason why we should have expected a lot there.. I mean, they were both in the Rumble for a long time and sorta slept through most of it.. there's probably been really good Uso tag matches that I'm not aware of.. but I mean...

I think Uso vs Uso going in the middle of night 1 probably should have been a hint to curb expectations?

then again, we had more matches on night 1 than night 2 anyways, so imagine how much longer the main event goes if it was 6 matches instead of 7

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yes.

I guess the Rock was gonna prove to people that he wasn't gonna immediately die out there

I just remembered a joke I didn't make in my Recap post about the Rock winning his People's Championship belt in a tournament held in Rio.

Jimmy Uso vs Jey Uso was the shittiest match I've ever seen. Both of those guys need to be in tag teams again asap. Or on a crappy fed in the middle of nowhere. Or hell, stick them on AEW.

The only decent match on the card was Gunther vs Sami Zayn. Rock/Reigns vs Cody/Rollins was a bit 'eh' at times and felt way too long. Rock was overexposed and off-step. Reigns was overexposed and off step. Crowd was absolute garbage too. They were cheering for the Rock, mid on Cody, completely ignored Rollins and silent on Reigns except for his finisher. I almost want to think Rock was like, "I'm on the board damnit, I get the pin with the People's Elbow and the win or I walk" but I could be wrong.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Roman Reigns/The Rock vs. Cody Rhodes/Seth Rollins went 44:31 which is the second longest WrestleMania main event ever behind Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart, 1:01:56 at WrestleMania XII.

The two longest matches in WrestleMania history as well.

Becky/Rhea was pretty good. Dug the finish.

Tag titles ladder match was the expected clusterfuck. Had some fun moments and some scary ones that went better than they could have. You knew it was bad when Jessica Carr was actively interrupting Priest not long before the finish because she noticed the warped ladder. Priest and Miz were so damn lucky. Don't love the tag titles splitting though it hopefully leads to more focus on actual tag teams. Truth getting his flowers with a big Wrestlemania win was nice to see. Hopefully Theory and Waller aren't champs for long on the Smackdown side.

Santos/Dom vs. Rey/Andrade was fun but nothing special as expected.

Battle of the Usos was sadly disappointing. Neither are great singles wrestlers, but you would still expect/hope for more even just based on what they have done the past six months. 

Dakota/KAIRI/Asuka vs. Bianca/Naomi/Jade was alright. Was hoping Jade would showcase more.

Sami/Gunther was fantastic. Great action and drama, especially towards the end. Still not happy to see Sami dethrone Gunther as I think Gable needed it more, but they built it all up well in the weeks before and on the show itself.

Cody/Seth vs. Roman/Rock was too damn long as expected, but it also had a decent amount of fun moments and good heeling from Rock and Roman. I only wish Philly was less pro-Rock. Was impressed to see how well they actually teased a Cody/Seth victory. They had me fooled a few times. The lack of further Bloodline involvement was surprising though I guess that will be the big story for tomorrow's match.

Not a great show, especially after NXT Stand & Deliver earlier in the day, but I thought this was a solid show overall. The Women's & US titles match felt like Wrestlemania classics, and the main event did exactly what it needed to in setting the tone and story for Roman/Cody II.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

for all the disappointment I read about Uso vs Uso, I wasn't aware of there being a reason why we should have expected a lot there.. I mean, they were both in the Rumble for a long time and sorta slept through most of it.. there's probably been really good Uso tag matches that I'm not aware of.. but I mean...

I absolutely expected it to be bad. I don’t know if they’re getting bad advice or what, but it’s wild to me that neither of them have attempted to diversify their in-ring style as singles. They both just do their tag stuff but alone. Maybe they see Roman getting by with just spamming spears and Superman punches and think they can do it with superkicks and flying splashes, but they are clearly mistaken and somebody should tell them.

• Like 1

This will probably be the rare time WrestleMania Sunday is better than WrestleMania Saturday. Gunther vs. Sami Zayn was the clear MOTN then Roman Reigns/The Rock vs. Cody Rhodes/Seth Rollins.

Rock pinning Cody might be the best of the 4 scenarios for putting the heels over tonight, compared to Roman over Cody or Rollins taking the fall, you weren't gonna see Cody go over both nights, so if you had to pick one of the two, you'd obviously pick night 2 over night 1, unless you're booking to make me laugh by jobbing Cody both nights

Rock stomping all over Roman's spotlight might be the most consistent part of this booking, and in theory, if they wanted to do face Roman/heel Rock this summer, that would be an idea, provided fans don't just turn Rock back because they want to cheer Rock over Roman

• Thanks 1

Eh, I blame myself. I watched Bockwinkel vs Robinson before that and I really enjoy grapples. I set WM up for meh. 

Last year really captured me so I had a high bar.

But anyway Gunther/Sami was IMMENSE, and there was never a doubt about that one. Never thought I’d see the corner brainbuster in WWE. The perfect move at the perfect time to credibly end Gunther’s run.

Very excited to see Gunther move up the card over the next year.

Also very excited for Sami to make Chad Gable as a heel in the coming months.

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Did the crowd seem dead for the most part or is sleep deprived me making a mistake?

It was cold for Philly. They act tough and rowdy but are really mostly cowards and weak. 

• Thanks 1

Well that was certainly an interesting show. I was surprised they started off with Becky and Rhea and if Becky was sick she sure didn't look it in the ring. I was kinda surprised that Becky lost. At this point I don't know who could beat Rhea for that title.

The ladder match was the train wreck I thought it would be. But in a good sense. I was surprised Austin and Grayson won the Smackdown titles. Glad that Awesome Truth won the RAW Titles. I still think Smackdown has the better tag scene though.

Rey/Andrade vs. Dom/Santos was an okay match. The growing consensus online was Carlito was turning on Rey but it didn't happen. Glad everyone got their spots in. I'm not an Eagles fan so I don't care about the Kelce run in.

Jimmy vs. Jey had a good hype video but the match itself was average at best. 

The women's six woman tag was all right. Jade looked like a star and she should be primed for big things after this.

Sami vs. Gunther was a damn good match. I loved the miracle win aspect of it at the end. So Gunther was champion for 666 days. Interesting number to end on.

Cody/Seth vs. Rock/Roman was a spectacle from start to finish. I didn't expect the Rock to look so damn good in the ring. Everything about the match was great. I loved how The Rock pulled a power play and got to do whatever he wanted and the referee couldn't do a thing. It sets up for Cody having to climb Mt. Everest tomorrow and I'm all for what that could mean.

Overall not a bad first night.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Eh, I blame myself. I watched Bockwinkel vs Robinson before that and I really enjoy grapples. I set WM up for meh. 

Last year really captured me so I had a high bar.

WrestleMania XXXIX is in my top five WrestleMania's:

5. XXXIX.

4. XXX.

3. XIX.

2. XXIV.

1. X-Seven.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Did the crowd seem dead for the most part or is sleep deprived me making a mistake?

The crowd was dead almost all of the night. I missed the ladder match but they weren't enthused about the opener. They were alive for Gunther/Zayn finish, the Rock's entrance and his People's Elbow and that was it.

• Thanks 1

Having an in-match explanation for "why doesn't the ref do anything" works better than all the other matches on TV where the ref also doesn't do anything for no reason

considering the stip, you'd think "THERE MUST BE A WINNER" would be a natural stip for that one but they're probably like "dude, nobody thinks we're not having a winner in this match, so why mention the stip, work smarter not harder"

I thought it was interesting that Cody seemed to be getting some boos during the main event.

If this keeps up, he’ll bring in the flaming tables again.

• Haha 4

Sami Zayn debuting the turnbuckle Brainbusta to beat Gunther reminds me of Daniel Bryan using the running knee for the first time vs. John Cena at SummerSlam 2013, needing a big move at the right place and time to cleanly beat the top guy.

• Like 3

Just now, EVA said:

I thought it was interesting that Cody seemed to be getting some boos during the main event.

I gotta solve the shit out of racism 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I think NFL crowds usually sound louder in outdoors games that aren't cold, so I could buy the concept that cold weather messes with things a little between cold fans and maybe how noise travels

also, WWE ringside fans are what they are no matter the weather, so I guess if the fans who aren't at ringside are farther away from the ring than usual

1 minute ago, EVA said:

"Cody/Roman double turn" says Paul from Scarsdale