DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Dolfan in NYC

Well, it's that time when we get those match-ups that could rattle the CFP line up to it's core...  or more likely just confirm who's gonna be in. 

THE CARD~

FOR THE ATLANTIC COAST CHAMPIONSHIP - #4 FSU vs. #15 Louisville

FOR THE SOUTHEASTERN CHAMPIONSHIP - #1 Georgia vs. #8 Alabama

FOR THE PACIFIC CHAMPIONSHIP - #3 Oregon vs. #5 Washington

FOR THE BIG CHAMPIONSHIP - #7 Texas vs. #19 Oklahoma State

FOR THE REAL BIG CHAMPIONSHIP - #2 Michigan vs. #18 Iowa

Mountain West championship game matchup had to be determined by computer

It will be Boise State at UNLV with San Jose St getting boned

The Rebels and Broncos finished tied with San José State at 6-2 in conference play. Because UNLV and Boise State did not play each other during the regular season, the three-way tie was broken by an average of four computer rankings: Anderson & Hester, Colley Matrix, Massey and Wolfe.

UNLV and Boise State were the highest-ranked teams headed into the final week of the regular season, but after San José State beat UNLV 37-31 on Saturday, the possibility of the Spartans -- who won their final six games -- overtaking Boise State loomed. It wasn't enough.

The Rebels will host the game because their average computer ranking is better than Boise State's.

52 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

SUNY-Cortland, the almamater of CB Bucknor, Mick Foley, and former CIA Director George Tenet

I never thought Foley would be my enemy, but for this one week... ONWARD

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So the new playoff ranking are out and for some reason they decided to make Georgia vs Alabama irrelevant by making Bama #8

Bama probably gets in with the win though. Everyone seems convinced they'd jump Ohio State, the PAC-12 loser, obviously Georgia, and for some ungodly reason Texas.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bama probably gets in with the win though. Everyone seems convinced they'd jump Ohio State, the PAC-12 loser, obviously Georgia, and for some ungodly reason Texas.

The only way I can see that happening is if Louisville beats Florida State (can happen) and Iowa beats Michigan which seems almost impossible barring a huge letdown.    While the Texas controversy over Alabama is a serious one, the biggest one is trying to justify that an undefeated team in Florida State shouldn't be in the playoff just because they lost their starting QB.  Even though they really haven't missed a beat

I guess the main reason why I see this as irrelevant besides thinking Iowa has no chance of beating Michigan IMO is that I can't see Georgia dropping out of the top 4 from losing to Alabama.   If you think losing to Alabama is that bad then it makes your argument that Alabama should be in even dumber.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

The only way I can see that happening is if Louisville beats Florida State (can happen) and Iowa beats Michigan which seems almost impossible barring a huge letdown.    While the Texas controversy over Alabama is a serious one, the biggest one is trying to justify that an undefeated team in Florida State shouldn't be in the playoff just because they lost their starting QB.  Even though they really haven't missed a beat

I guess the main reason why I see this as irrelevant besides thinking Iowa has no chance of beating Michigan IMO is that I can't see Georgia dropping out of the top 4 from losing to Alabama.   If you think losing to Alabama is that bad then it makes your argument that Alabama should be in even dumber.

I'll believe the committee will leave out an undefeated P5 champion when I see it happen and not before.

Normally I would agree that Georgia is unlikely to fall out, but we normally don't have 8 teams who still are viable for a spot, seven of whom can win a conference title. Ohio State just lost by six points on the road to then #3 now #2 in a game where they had the ball in plus territory with a chance to win in the final minute, and fell four spots.

If there are three 13-0 and two 12-1 Power Five champions it's really really really damn hard to see an argument for a non-champion to get in this year. Especially because none of the four one loss teams suffered an egregious loss like Ohio State getting blown out by Purdue in 2018. Two of them lost on the road to top three teams and one at a neutral site to their biggest rival, and all three had the ball with a chance to win or force overtime in the final minute. The fourth is a bit worse, at home by ten, but it was still to a top ten team. 

I've seen a lot of people suggesting Georgia with a loss could go over Florida State, but I just don't see it.. 12-1 and no league title against 13-0 ACC champions.

Of course, the teams could make this real easy for the committee as well if Georgia, Michigan, Washington, and Florida State all just win by comfortable margins. 

The most watched game of the season all year, basically, had been Oregon's destruction of Colorado, with about ten million viewers.

Saturday 19 million viewers tuned in to see Michigan and Ohio State, about two million more than last year, breaking their own records as the most watched regular season game of the past decade and most watched college game in Fox history. Fell a little shy of the 2011 Alabama-LSU #1-#2 matchup, which remains the most watched game since the 2006 Michigan-Ohio State #1-#2 game. Which is the most watched game since the 1993 Florida State-Notre Dame #1-#2.

The CW Network has announced itself as the exclusive broadcast home of the Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl

The more troubling thing is that the game will be called by Barstool personalities including Dave Portnoy

Y'all have been warned

• Sad 1

On one hand, I agree with the pundits that it's very hard to envision any scenario in which Iowa can beat Michigan Saturday 

On the other hand, when absolutely everybody is talking about your favorite team winning being inevitable, it just feels like they are setting you up to be crushed and I do not like it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I stan for Bo Nix the rest of the season as long as he remains in the Heisman/Title picture! 

I feel like if he plays well and they win tonight, he definitely wins it, otherwise it's probably Daniels.

Unless Penix goes for like 500 yards and 6 touchdowns tonight.

• Like 1

Quinn Ewers has been cooking other than one bad interception and a couple missed throws, Texas is rolling and could be up by more.

And if you’re watching, that late defensive substitution leading to a delay of game is a BS loophole and needs to be fixed in the off-season. Someone pointed out that technically, any time the offense substitutes, the defense could force a penalty or a timeout if the ref lets them.

• Like 1

I don’t even know what to expect out of my Seminoles later. The closest thing to an opinion that I could drum up is that it will be a blowout 1 way or the other. Us getting blown out needs no explanation. Us blowing them out might happen for the simple reason that our 3rd quarterback has ice for blood and wants to play like a mfer. He might just go crazy. 

Just winning the game by running the ball and tackling well is out. We don’t do that. I don’t know why we don’t do that but we don’t do that. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

Longhorns took care of business, Brett Yormark got booed relentlessly and had to basically eat shit publicly handing Steve Sarkisian the championship trophy. Now time to go to Macy’s for some Christmas gawking and then the oldest continuously operating pub in Philly for some holiday libations. Let’s go Louisville!!

Well, I'll have to settle for best season in school history and knowing that the QB is a sophomore and most of the o-line are sophomores and juniors and hope to see Alma press even further onward next year.