DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Dartmouth football coach Buddy Teevens was hit by a truck while riding a bicycle before this season started (like I wanna say March).

He passed away early into the season (He had suffered a spinal injury so wasn't actively coaching but he was still considered the HC)

6 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Jayson Tatum really needs to learn just how un-clutch he is and give the ball to White or KP for final shots.

He has way too much Kobe-brain for that.

It almost seems like Kobe's last bit of 20th-dimensional chess to fuck over the Celtics.  "Yeah, if I work with this kid for the summer, he'll think he's a straight killer, but I know he isn't, and Boston isn't going to give up on him because he's too good, but just not good enough...yeah, this'll get us to 18 before them as he keeps killing their hopes and dreams."

The more I think about it, the less insane it sounds.  I hate my life.

• Haha 1

The ending to OKC/Minnesota was silly. OKC was up 100-97, Minnesota managed to get the ball downcourt for Anthony Edwards to take a game-tying three, only to get fouled by Luguentz Dort. Then Edwards bricks the first two free throws, and completely chucks the third one to where nobody stood a chance of getting a rebound, and OKC managed to recover and get a timeout. OKC ends up winning 102-97 after a Minnesota foul to try and get something since Jalen Williams didn't brick his free throws.

Edited by Stefanie Sparkleface

The Charlotte Hornets are trading guard Terry Rozier to the Miami Heat for a 2027 first-round pick and Kyle Lowry, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Tuesday.

The first-round pick in the deal is lottery-protected for 2027 and unprotected should it convey to 2028, sources told Wojnarowski.

297690e227027bd2a52b8182930077af.gif

Hell yeah, get lost Kyle.   Rozier is a solid haul for a mid-late round 1 and the Skrull currently impersonating Kyle Lowry's body.

Also, word is Charlotte isn't keeping Lowry but isn't buying him out either (yet).  They'll try to trade him again before the 2/8 deadline.

The Cleveland Cavaliers' Tristan Thompson was suspended without pay for 25 games on Tuesday for violating the NBA/NBPA anti-drug program.

Thompson tested positive for ibutamoren and SARM LGD-4033, the league said.

His suspension will begin with Wednesday's game between the Cavaliers and Milwaukee Bucks.

There has to be a non-basketball reason for this, right? Firing a first year coach while currently holding the second seed slot would be beyond bizarre otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There has to be a non-basketball reason for this, right? Firing a first year coach while currently holding the second seed slot would be beyond bizarre otherwise.

Doesn't seem like it beyond panic

Wojo seems to imply that the Bucks defense (or lack thereof) - especially the last two games - has everyone freaked out

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Been a lot of chatter that he lost the team fairly early in the season and they still don't trust him.  Unfortunate but I'm sure they'll find somebody who bett...

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Shams says Doc Rivers is most likely replacing him

GODDAMIT

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The team was winning in spite of Griffin. He was bringing absolutely nothing to the table and was in way over his head with this job, obviously a mistake to hire him in the first place. Strong rumors he was clashing with Giannis, Dame, and others. Dude had zero respect from the room. For a team with championship aspirations, it had to be done.

Edited to add, Horst also brought in Terry Stotts in the off-season to help with Dame’s transition and to be a vet assistant to help Griffin along but Stotts didn’t even last the summer before he threw in the towel.

Edited by MKERyan

You know how the NBA releases those final two minutes reports on reffing for each game.

According to the report, the refs blew ten calls in the final two minutes of last night's Hornets-Timberwolves game. One foul assigned to the wrong Hornet, three missed fouls by the Wolves, two missed travels by Charlotte, and four missed fouls (including two on one failed late drive by KAT) by Charlotte.

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

so was the Bucks thing handled by someone who knows the general concept of "the Milwaukee Brewers fired Ned Yost in September to save their season" and decided to apply it to the Milwaukee Bucks in January?

I guess it has worked in fairly recent NBA history with the Cavs firing whatisname and giving Lue the job.

And not the same situation, but way back in 1979-80 with the Lakers having McKinney in the bike accident and then Westphal taking over. And college but my Michigan fan status means I have to bring up the 1988-89 Wolverines when Bill Frieder took a different job right before the tourney but planned to coach through the end of the season. Bo fired him, promoted Fischer and they won their only basketball Natty.

But it's still a weird situation.