DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER '23

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/9/2023 at 5:56 AM, The Natural said:

West Ham United have agreed a £30m deal with Manchester United to sign defender Harry Maguire. Will Maguire want to go? Manchester United paid £80 million to Leicester City for Harry Maguire.

United fans to Maguire:

get-the-fuck-out-gtfo.gif

Messi's (actual) MLS debut has been delayed.   The 8/20 match was supposed to take place vs Charlotte, but since both teams are actually playing each other tonight in the quarterfinals of the Leagues Cup, they're pushing it back.  Date is still TBD. 

It's now expected to happen on 8/26  @NYRB.  

Oh, and they have a semi-final match in the US Open Cup on the 23rd @Cincinnati before that anyway.  

So, tracking:

The King of Premier League (Provisional) is Manchester City, for winning the first game of the season.

The Lineal Premier League Champion, Brentford, has their first 2023 defense of the championship against Tottenham on Sunday. Would be tougher if a certain striker hadn't effed off to scarf down some wiener schnitzel

Edited by SirFozzie

On 8/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, The Natural said:

Bayern Munich and Tottenham have agreed a deal in principle for England striker Harry Kane worth more than 100m euros (£86.4m). Alan Shearer will be well happy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3UQ0wiXwAEG-Dr?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3UQ0wfWsAAfJEB?format=jpg&name=large

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_813kaT9k&pp=ygUaYWNjcmluZ3RvbiBzdGFubGV5IHBlbmFsdHk%3D

Y'all need to see this Accrington Stanley penalty miss vs. Bradford City in the first round of the Carabao Cup. Bradford City won the penalty shootout.

Accrington Stanley, who are they???

• Like 1

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois out most of the season with ACL rupture. Real Madrid have signed Kepa Arrizabalaga from Chelsea on loan for a season. Kepa would never have played for me again when he refused to come off for Maurizio Sarri in the 2019 League Cup Final defeat to Manchester City. Fuck Kepa.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:56 AM, SirFozzie said:

The Lineal Premier League Champion, Brentford, has their first 2023 defense of the championship against Tottenham on Sunday. Would be tougher if a certain striker hadn't effed off to scarf down some wiener schnitzel

Brentford retain the True And Correct Championship of English Football - to give it its proper name - with a 2-2 draw.

The Messi Train rolls into Philly tomorrow for the semis in the Leagues Cup.  

Philly is undefeated in 27 of their last 28 at home, averaging less than a goal per game... so, yikes.  

Also, this is the first time I've heard that the winner of this tournament gets a spot in Champions League.  So, there's that too. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Messi Train rolls into Philly tomorrow for the semis in the Leagues Cup.  

Philly is undefeated in 27 of their last 28 at home, averaging less than a goal per game... so, yikes.  

Also, this is the first time I've heard that the winner of this tournament gets a spot in Champions League.  So, there's that too. 

Yeah, that was the concession to get everyone to shut up about having to play a mid-season tourny in August when no one wanted to, especially one with MX teams in it as well.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here watching United play like shit against fucking Wolves and I'm beginning to think the Eagles are the only sports joy I'm going to have for a while.

Well, I guess someone told Messi this team was "good" and he adjusted accordingly, because it's 3-0 at halftime. 

THAT HIT THE GOALIE'S FINGERS!   He's going to be haunted by that for months. 

Notable about that goal.  The announcers later said, that was the longest goal in his career.  

Final score was 4-1 IMCF.  They will go to Nashville for the finals on Saturday.   (They beat Monterrey 2-0 yesterday.)