DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 2023.

The Natural

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looking at the PBP this morning, it sounds like EVIL vs. SANADA was the drizzling shits. 

He has to win both most overrated and worst gimmick in the 2023 awards almost unanimously right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

How were the matches?

The two matches you'd expect to be good were excellent in my opinion (ZSJ/Okada, and Ospreay/Finlay was an example of how shenanigans can work)

Naito vs Hikuleo started very rough, but were able to turn it around and the last few minutes were a blast.

EVIL vs SANADA was a heatless plodding mess. I don't just blame EVIL here, as I don't think the crowds are really buying SANADA as top guy (I think this was masked by his first defences being against one of the most popular acts in the company and a newcomer with intrigue). It's a shame, as I was digging J5G SANADA up until Forbidden Door. The EVIL match vs Takagi on the other hand was nuclear compared to this. 

Spoiler

I understand SANADA losing here, gives him a title feud for Destruction. Would have much preferred Shingo in this spot, especially if Naito wins the G1 (giving SANADA a story of going through his ex-team mates).

Surely Naito or Ospreay are winning this, right? Leaning towards Naito as Ospreay is 2-0 over him

• Like 1

I caught Kiyomiya vs. Kidd on AXS earlier and it was a very nice little brawl. They really stiffed the hell out of each other, some vicious slaps especially. There was bonus hilarity in the subtitles with "Kiyomiya" getting spelled differently every time and never correct, along with "Sonoda" and other mistakes. Eventually it was just too distracting so I had to turn it off! 

If the KENTA match was worth it let me know, I was just too tired from today so I crashed out while it was playing. 

I may be misremembering but there's a notion in my head of William Regal saying he listened to what people (particularly non-fans) said they didn't like about pro wrestling and then endeavoured never to do those things himself.

Okada/ZSJ was my kind of wrestling. Two of the best in the company IMO, in their prime, given time to work in the main event spot and I don't think a moment of it breached the above rule for me.

I'm not seeing any compelling reason for ZSJ to be at the top of the company but he's top end in the ring and for those on the sidelines disappointed in the loss he's coming across as a bigger deal all the time. At one point strikes were Zack's achilles heel but here he's a faction leader beating out Okada in strike exchanges and looking good doing it.

• Like 1

The finals are set:

Spoiler

Okada vs Naito

Okada took out the H.O.T. by himself and beat EVIL. The longer the match went on, the more I wanted EVIL to win because it would have been the funniest outcome.

Naito/Ospreay had the expected neck death but after two counter-Destinos and one proper one Naito got the win.

Ospreay and Naito was bloody great, with a hot crowd pushing it to the next level. The end was scary though...

Spoiler

Scared for Naito at the end when it seemed like he was meant to duck a kick but ate it full force on the top of his head. Ospreay looked like he had to guide Naito through the last bit. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

If Kazuchika Okada beats Tetsuya Naito, Okada will tie Masahiro Chono for most wins, 5. If Kazuchika Okada wins, he'll have won three in a row (2021-2023). Naito is going for 3 (2013 and 2017). I can see both outcomes. I went with Naito at the start of the tournament and will stick with that choice.

25 minutes ago, Horangi said:

Ospreay and Naito was bloody great, with a hot crowd pushing it to the next level. The end was scary though...

Hide contents

Scared for Naito at the end when it seemed like he was meant to duck a kick but ate it full force on the top of his head. Ospreay looked like he had to guide Naito through the last bit. 

Spoiler

Yeah, he looked a bit loopy for a while. Still delivered his closing promo (with a slight screw up on the LIJ order and had to redo it).

Spoiler

For Okada, this year marks a third consecutive G1 finals appearance, and he will be going for his third consecutive G1 title and fifth overall. Okada has never lost a G1 finals, having defeated Karl Anderson to win in 2012, Shinsuke Nakamura in 2014, Kota Ibushi in 2021, and Will Ospreay in 2022. A fifth G1 Climax victory would tie Okada with Masohiro Chono for the most ever. 

Naito will be appearing in his fourth G1 finals, and will go for his third career G1 title. Naito was a finalist in 2011, losing to Shinsuke Nakamura in the deciding bout. He won the 2013 G1, defeating Hiroshi Tanahashi in finals, and again won the tournament in 2017, defeating Kenny Omega. 

F4wonline.com

Pretty good card overall. I'm glad I didn't skip the undercard tags. The crowd really seemed to be enjoying the TMDK vs. Ishii/Kingston/Taguchi/Tana match. Something in that one for everybody.

Spoiler

I went back and slowed down the part in Naito/Ospreay where the kick happened. Looked to me like Naito ate it right between the eyes. I couldn't make out everything Ospreay was saying to him, but the cameras picked up an audible "Destino" from Ospreay right at the end. No real doubt that he saw/felt what happened and said it was time to call it a day. 

Hopefully Naito is good to go for tomorrow. Definitely scary, certainly unfortunate. Ospreay/Naito has been one of NJPW's most protected matchups over the last 7 years, and the two have made the most of it each time. It was a great match leading up to that kick accidentally landing harder than it was meant to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Pretty good card overall. I'm glad I didn't skip the undercard tags. The crowd really seemed to be enjoying the TMDK vs. Ishii/Kingston/Taguchi/Tana match. Something in that one for everybody.

Hide contents

I went back and slowed down the part in Naito/Ospreay where the kick happened. Looked to me like Naito ate it right between the eyes. I couldn't make out everything Ospreay was saying to him, but the cameras picked up an audible "Destino" from Ospreay right at the end. No real doubt that he saw/felt what happened and said it was time to call it a day. 

Hopefully Naito is good to go for tomorrow. Definitely scary, certainly unfortunate. Ospreay/Naito has been one of NJPW's most protected matchups over the last 7 years, and the two have made the most of it each time. It was a great match leading up to that kick accidentally landing harder than it was meant to.

That tag was super fun and Eddie went out of his way to make Fujita look great. Has he been on excursion yet? Honestly not been paying attention, though I'm assuming with the black YL looking gear maybe he hasn't.

3 hours ago, Mr. Monday Morning said:

That tag was super fun and Eddie went out of his way to make Fujita look great. Has he been on excursion yet? Honestly not been paying attention, though I'm assuming with the black YL looking gear maybe he hasn't.

He's doing a few weeks (possibly up to a month based on a tweet) of Australia with Robbie Eagles, but I remember Ohbari saying they were going to look at changing the excursion structure. I think Fujita may be the first since Tanahashi maybe that may not go on a real excursion 

Not going to spoil anything, but the TMDK match from this afternoon's card, which I'm in the midst of as I type this, was super entertaining as well.  Their stock has seemingly gone significantly up as a faction.  

I feel like Kiyomiya is somehow not done with New Japan.  It's just a hunch.  

Not too much more I could say about Ospreay vs. Naito other than amazing.  A wild, uncomfortable ride, as expected.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'm guessing Tetsuya Naito beats Kazuchika Okada to allow Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson II without the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Then again, it would make the match even bigger if it was on the line. I'd be surprised if SANADA walks into Wrestle Kingdom as champion. Although, SANADA vs. Tetsuya Naito with Naito out for revenge for SANADA leaving LIJ in the manner he did.

Spoiler

NAITO! Over 30 minutes where the crowd was behind Naito from beginning to end.

In other news, Tsuji pinned Ospreay clean after a Gene Blast and is perhaps the next challenger for Will's U...K. title.

SHO of all people, pinned TAICHI after H.O.T. shenanigans (TAKA, get your ass in the ring!) to set up a KOPW match. And EVIL handcuffed SANADA to the ropes after the match and took the IWGP title home with him (SHO also took TAICHI's belt). If that doesn't get SANADA worked up, nothing will.

It looks like TMDK are challenging Bishamon and perhaps El-P and Hikuleo going for the Strong tag titles. Henare already attacked Eddie post-match yesterday and Eddie returned that attack so they're probably going to mix it up for the Strong title.

• Like 1