DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Justin Long gives me that reaction Joey Styles had when he saw Jason, I get hives and start scratching. It's ugly. 

Which always reminds me why the casting in Barbarian was so great.   You are waiting for Bill Skarsgård's character to do something sketchy because of his casting in IT!, and you can't wait for Justin Long's character to die violently because reasons.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Cool looking killer (though how he sees out of that mask is a question), but nah. I'll stick to Black Christmas and Silent Night, Deadly Night, and ignoring all other Xmas horror films.

Even Krampus?  I am not sure if we can continue to be friends if you start dissing Krampus.

• Like 1

They didn't show anything happening and you don't know what he's eating either. And the only thing in the subliminal blip is him holding the axe. Lookit J.T., movie's already got him by the low and danglin's! 

Oh and I haven't seen Krampus so I am in a neutral position there

EDIT: I just realized I was shooting for "short and curlies" but I think I may have come up with something new there. So it stays. 😄

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

Wanted to take a minute to plug my buddy Josh's short film "Angie". (28 min runtime)  It's about a birthday party that gets thrown for a friend who's lost his sister.  That's all I'll say, aside from someone you may know trying to wrap his lips around "I-bee-tha" or Ibiza or whatever...

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

Thanksgiving has like a ridiculously high RT Freshness Rating right now.

My head says that Eli Roth is involved and I should hate it, but I am going to see it anyway.

So this will be the third feature length movie that started off as a mock trailer in RR / QT's Grindhouse, including Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun.

Edited by J.T.

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Thanksgiving has like a ridiculously high RT Freshness Rating right now.

My head says that Eli Roth is involved and I should hate it, but I am going to see it anyway.

So this will be the third feature length movie that started off as a mock trailer in RR / QT's Grindhouse, including Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun.

I'm seeing too many of the same ads for this flick.

Will eventually see it, but you can't force feed me ads to make an instant classic. Which is what this feels like.

Plus, it's Eli Roth, I know what to expect from him.

• Like 1

Imaginary

Directed by Jeff Wardlow

Starring:  DeWanda Wise, Tom Payne, Betty Buckley, Taegen Burns, Pyper Braun

I want to like this, but Wardlow is the director of a couple of Blumhouse shitburgers including the Golden Raspberry nominee, Blumhouse's Fantasy Island.

I will be cautiously optimistic and hope that this movie is the turning point in his career.

Edited by J.T.

In Xenomorphic news, the Alien TV series has been pushed back to 2025. Aliens has made 4K Ultra HD as the Aliens Ultimate Collector's Edition which will be Digital on December 12th and hit retailers on March 12, 2024. Pre-orders are going live next week, no word on price. Details below. 

https://www.fangoria.com/original/james-cameron-aliens-4k-release-in-2024/

• Sad 2

Of all the films Wes made that he would most be surprised to see a reboot of it would probably be that. The Serpent and the Rainbow is only slightly less likely, due to the location shooting. 

And lets see, that makes remake #5? They already got Last House, Hills, Nightmare, Scream (labelled a reboot though technically a sequel). They could do something interesting with Shocker or Deadly Friend given new technology. Deadly Blessing would satisfy the thirst for occult, backwoods stuff that seems to be popular. Side note, on iMDB a secondary name for Craven is given as "Abe Snake" haha

• Like 2

Founder's Day

Directed by The Bloomquist Brothers.

Starring:  Naomi Grace, Devin Druid, Emilia McCarthy, Amy Hargreaves, Catherine Curtin, William Russ.

It's being billed as a political slasher movie whatever the fuck that is.  The BBs directed She Came From the Woods and I really enjoyed that, so I am going to check this one out when it drops in January 2024.

• Like 1

As proof that Hollywood is nearly bankrupt when it comes to original horror movie ideas.  There's going to be a prequel to The Omen dropping next spring.

Frankly, I'd have preferred a follow-up to Omen IV:  The Awakening.  It was a decent enough idea but horribly executed.

Edited by J.T.

So Scream 7 has a lot of casting... issues

The easy one is that Jenna Ortega will not be returning as she has a scheduling conflict now with Wednesday Season 2

The more... complex... one is that Mellisa Barrera was fired from the cast for Pro-Palestine social media posts

Spyglass Media claims her posts were antisemitic and that what she posted "flagrantly crosses the line into hate speech"

So Thanksgiving was AWESOME~!  

There were some minor plot holes, but that's common for slashers so that can be forgiven. 

This bring the number of Eli Roth movies that I liked on the first go to a grand total of two (this movie and Cabin Fever).  I regrettably did not go to see The House with a Clock in Its Walls.

I am completely stupid.  I finally figured out that Inspector Kemp, Kennith Mars's character in Young Frankenstein, is actually a parody of Inspector Krogh, Lionel Atwell's wooden armed policeman character, in Son of Frankenstein.

In my defense, I have only seen Son of Frankenstein like two times.  The second being this morning on Cinevault Horror while doing laundry and getting ready for my trip to visit the relatives in Cali over the next few days.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2