DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

On 10/24/2023 at 10:10 PM, clintthecrippler said:

I caught a preview screening of this a few weeks ago. Definitely quite a few darkly comedic moments (and a really inventive "attempt to kill the monster" that I don't think I have seen done before) but I will advise that is it overall a much slower burn than Joe Lynch's most recent efforts like Mayhem and Everly. Well worth watching nonetheless, a good mix of Stuart Gordon worship (which again, given the screenwriting pedigree shouldn't be that surprising) and bits inspired by steamy 90s erotic thrillers that did justice to both of those inspirations. 

I watched this last night and it's a total throwback to something you would have seen on Cinemax at 1 am in 1991. Whether that's good or bad is entirely up to what one's taste is.

• Like 2

I think the original was discussed in here so I will put this news here despite being labelled "survival thriller"

Per Hollywood Reporter - Fall will get TWO sequels

Scott Mann - the director and co-writer of the first movie - will return as a producer. No director was announced

Characters from the original will return will incorporating new ones

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think the original was discussed in here so I will put this news here despite being labelled "survival thriller"

Per Hollywood Reporter - Fall will get TWO sequels

Scott Mann - the director and co-writer of the first movie - will return as a producer. No director was announced

Characters from the original will return will incorporating new ones

My daughter and I loved Fall but how the fuck do you generate TWO sequels from that plot?

Did they not tear down the fucking rickety ass freestanding tower o' doom following the tragedy or at least make it harder to reach it? 

A really really really really high fence perhaps? Maybe even electrified or ringed with razor wire?

Edited by J.T.

The Devil's Rain may be the best use of Ernest Borgnine, Tom Skerritt, Eddie Albert, and William Shatner in the worst Satan movie ever made.

How can you produce such a silly devil movie when fucking Anton LaVey is your creative consultant and also has a cameo in the film?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Slotherhouse was spectacularly dumb and embraced the dumb well enough for something fun. 

Finally watched The Thing (82) to end my Halloween night. That was wonderful. The build, pacing, and tension were all so on point alongside the amazingly disgusting/creepy designs of the creature. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

Vindicta is currently on heavy rotation on the Showtime Networks and on SHO on Demand.

I suffered through it last night for you.  It has an interesting premise but then dissolves into slasher movie trope silliness of the worst kind.  In hindsight, I probably should've watched AEW live and caught Vindicta on demand rather than watch Vindicta live and DVRed AEW.

Not even Jeremy Piven chewing on scenery or Elena Kampouris's butt in purple jogging pants can save this thing.  I did find it amusing that not only did a black guy die in the first ten minutes, the killer actually manages to murder two black guys before moving on to more victims.

Edited by J.T.

John Carpenter will provide the score to Ari Aster's next A24 production, Death of a Unicorne.   Paull Rudd and Jenna Ortega will star in what is being described as a horror fantasy comedy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

What is 30 Coins?

Its a series on HBO that they ported over from their HBO Europe programming after it became rather popular. 

Basically:

Spoiler

There is a secret cabal inside the Catholic church trying to usurp Christianity for themselves by using the power of unholy relics.  In this case, the 30 pieces of silver paid to Judas after he betrayed Jesus.

Individually, the coins generate spiritual turbulence and are magnets for supernatural events and if collected, they are supposed to have the power to tip the cosmic balance in favor of Hell.

The forces of good are represented by an ex-convict and boxer turned priest, a small town mayor with marriage issues, and a veterinarian who is pretty much the reason why the mayor and his wife have marriage issues, so basically we're all fucked.

We're in S2 right now and I'd highly recommend watching S1 before diving into the current action.  There is a lot of shit going on and this series does not hold your hand. 

At all.

Original eps air on Sunday nights @ 9PM EST (The Watchmen / True Detective / Westworld / His Dark Materials block in the schedule when they show the really good shit) and are available on Max following the television debut.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Beehive

Well everything about this can fuck right off

I loved it Comes At Night even though it infuriated me.  I am getting the same vibes from this trailer.

I had a dream earlier this afternoon about not being able to catch a zombie cameo in Day of the Dead as a child zombie because some kid kicked my ass. Then my mom showed up dressed as a zombie to console me, and gave me a poster of the movie. 

This is far better than last night's getting my ass kicked by a cop then me keeping running into broken glass and having to pick it out in a punk squat house

https://ia801003.us.archive.org/6/items/cinefantastique_1970-2002/Cinefantastique Vol 19 No 1-2 (1989).pdf

Oh man, this is a tremendous Vincent Price double issue of CFQ. Features a full overview of Price's career by the master himself along with great vintage art and promo photography. It's also got a run-through of the OG Blob... and a GOOD review of the NEW Blob! Amazing. Not only that but this was the era of They Live, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Hellraiser II, Dead Ringers... you get all the goods.

• Like 1

It's a Wonderful Knife

Directed by Tyler MacIntyre

Starring Jane Widdop, Joel McHale, Katharine Isabelle and Justin Long.

Now showing.  Came out on Novermber 10th.  Sneaked under my radar because I've been on night duty since last Thursday.

Well, now your Black Christmas / Krampus double feature just became a movie marathon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Cool looking killer (though how he sees out of that mask is a question), but nah. I'll stick to Black Christmas and Silent Night, Deadly Night, and ignoring all other Xmas horror films. 

A lot of these new, "clever" slashers just look irritating to me. Hopefully Thanksgiving isn't jokey and just gives the goods and nothing more, but I doubt it. Hell if it's just jokey like the original Grindhouse trailer and not trying to be smart then I'd accept that

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1