DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 7/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, J.T. said:

Keith Hart is playing Roland.  Fuck that Borderlands movie.

On 7/11/2023 at 9:24 AM, RIPPA said:

Yes but Gina Gershon is Moxxi

Is that supposed to be Kevin Hart?  I'm finding no Keith Harts besides someone who was on Treme.

Because I also misread Gina Gershon as Gina Carano at first, and man, if you wanted to make a real trainwreck of a movie, her and Kevin would be a fine start.

Yeah, I meant to type Kevin Hart but I was watching some Stampede on YouTube.  Rippa understands that I am old and decrepit and his brain correctly translates my mindless babble.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Either an AI or some jerk posted ANOTHER of those three super-creepy iodized or however you term it new Exorcist posters of Linda Blair that are enormous on my Facebook. People don't do it! It's the equivalent of me skipping over the full-page photo of her in Joe Bob's Profoundly Disturbing book. 

The photos in color? Not a problem. Putting them in B&W and desaturating them? PROBLEM. It's like just coming across a giant photo of the Xenomorph comin' at ya from out of black, out of the blue (which I expect soon enough considering the new movie...).

• Haha 1

P.S. This reminds me of the only other trailer that freaked me out -- the one for the Alien video game where you were playing cat (heh) and mouse with the Xenomorph. For months I'd be laying there watching Adult Swim in the dark and here comes that fucking thing rolling out of the ceiling and just nope. It was necessary to have that channel recall on speed dial. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

No Barbie or Oppenheimer DVDVR MB reviews? I've got a lot on my plate so will probably have to wait till DVD.

I'm not much of a review girl but I thought Barbie was amazing and I've already pre-ordered the digital release, where I anticipate rewatching it multiple times.

A friend saw Oppenheimer and was disappointed that it wasn't an action movie, but he's the same guy that thought Lost in Translation was going to be a madcap comedy through Tokyo because it had Bill Murray. My friend may be a doofus but I care for him anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

I'm not much of a review girl but I thought Barbie was amazing and I've already pre-ordered the digital release, where I anticipate rewatching it multiple times.

A friend saw Oppenheimer and was disappointed that it wasn't an action movie, but he's the same guy that thought Lost in Translation was going to be a madcap comedy through Tokyo because it had Bill Murray. My friend may be a doofus but I care for him anyway.

Thank you for your Barbie review. It looks fun first and foremost which is what the world needs and I also have a crush on Margot Robbie. She's my favourite then Hayley Atwell and Rebecca Ferguson. Chuckled at your mate getting surprised by Oppenheimer. Talk about subverting expectations.

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thank you for your Barbie review. It looks fun first and foremost which is what the world needs and I also have a crush on Margot Robbie. She's my favourite then Hayley Atwell and Rebecca Ferguson. Chuckled at your mate getting surprised by Oppenheimer. Talk about subverting expectations.

It was a typical stellar Margot Robbie performance. Really, everyone does a great job. It's a fun movie but there are some sweet moments, and I cried, but I cry at everything. I cried this morning because my cat was cute. YMMV.

• Like 1

Oppenheimer opens to $175 million worldwide. Budget was $100 million. Christopher Nolan and Universal Pictures win. Remember, Christopher Nolan was with Warner Brothers for:

• Insomnia (2002).
  • Batman Begins (2005).
  • The Prestige (2006).
  • The Dark Knight (2008).
  • Inception (2010).
  • The Dark Knight Rises (2012).
  • Interstellar (2014).
  • Dunkirk (2017).
  • Tenet (2020).
Edited by The Natural

Me and my dad just drove down to the local theater to see Oppenheimer and the ENTIRE PARKING LOT was full. I said "let's call it", we turned the car around, and I then said "How about a matinee on, I dunno, Wednesday or Thursday?" We might have to wait longer. I know I sure as shit am to see Barbie! I think Oppenheimer has our IMAX locked down but Barbie has like 6-8 screens going. 

Oppenheimer was really good.  Nolan did a splendid job of neither canonizing nor completely vilifying him.  

Some of the nekkedness was a bit extra, but i feel that it was supposed to be unerotic given the context in which it was placed in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oppenheimer was really good.  Nolan did a splendid job of neither canonizing nor completely vilifying him.  

Some of the nekkedness was a bit extra, but i feel that it was supposed to be unerotic given the context in which it was placed in.

Like Scarlett’s “unerotic nudity” in Under the Skin? 

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

No Barbie or Oppenheimer DVDVR MB reviews? I've got a lot on my plate so will probably have to wait till DVD.

I saw Barbie today, and it is legit one of my favorite movies ever.  Low key one of my favorite moments was (spoilered for minor plot detail) 

Spoiler

Ken wearing Hollywood Hogan-esque pants and headband after his heel turn.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Like Scarlett’s “unerotic nudity” in Under the Skin? 

Precisely.

Spoiler

When Oppenheimer is being grilled by the members of the clearance council about his Communist affiliation, he talks to them about his on again / off again relationship with Jean Tatlock and of course his wife, Kitty, begins to drunkenly hallucinate and imagines that Oppenheimer and Tatlock are fucking in a chair right in front of the panel.  I mean Florence Pugh (or her body double) has a really nice ass, but the overall context of the scene is really cringe. 

Emaciated naked Cillian Murphy and his hairy legs is also a visual I could've lived without ever seeing on a movie screen.

Edited by J.T.

I am looking forward to it.  Perhaps the supernatural trappings of A Haunting in Venice will allow it transcend its source materiel and make the story more enjoyable.  Hallowe'en Party is a pretty lazy effort from Agatha Christie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1