DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

EDIT: I sometimes like hijacking threads, but a cross-company rogues gallery pissing contest might be worthy of its own thread.

True, the Spider-Man vs Batman talk is off-topic, especially as Spidey's never really  had a bad movie.

I want you to defend the piece of crap that was Spider-Man 3 :)

• Like 1

Not only is Spidey my personal choice for greatest superhero ever (Superman's stupid and the only powers Batman has is his fortress of offshore tax shelters), but Venom is also one of my favorite baddies around (I always appreciated the fact that Eddie never had any world domination schemes or anything of the ilk, he just hated Spiderman for ruining his pedestrian life, a fairly simple yet effective motive for storytelling).

That said, SM3 was total trash, regardless of how high the previous 2 set the bar (especially 2). Not even talking about emo Peter or the usual dumb fanboy critiques. The ENTIRE Sandman plot was totally irrelevant, there was no reason why the movie couldn't have been Peter vs. Harry for the first half, with them vs. Venom for the grand finale. To top it all off, Sandman isn't a bad guy (which should've been Venom's role, as bank robbery isn't exactly his M.O.), he just wanted to help his daughter. Right. Fuck SM3. Fuck it up its stupid ass.

I've always been convinced that Sony decided to reboot the Spidey franchise because they know there's billions to be made with a Venom/Maximum Carnage franchise, and were pissed that Raimi killed that moneytrain before it ever got to leave the station.

Spider-Man 3 had the Goddamn Sandman looking awesome in a live-action film, something all right-thinking people had wanted to see since childhood.

Other than that, the actors did a good job of getting Peter and MJ's relationship problems across, the confident, womanizing Peter scenes were hilarious, and the action scenes generally delivered. Venom was unnecessary (they could have done the alien suit plot and left Venom as a sequel hook), but it didn't kill the film.

Special effects do not make a movie good, or even decent. Sure Sandman and Venom looked awesome, but so what? The Sandman character was completely unnecessary in a movie that also included Harry and Venom. Yeah, they could've done Harry and Sandman with the blacksuit, and then wait for SM4 to do Venom proper, but that's not what happened. Venom didn't kill the film, Sandman did. Raimi was dead-set on doing Sandman, and Sony basically forced him to include Venom, because joe-schmoe in the audience is going to want to see a movie with Venom more than a movie with the fucking Sandman, the blacksuit is the reason why that movie made around $1B, not because of Marko.

When they decided to make Sam Harry fucking Potter with his resurrection in Fallen, I gave up.

And FSW, if you're gonna sit there and think that Venom was actually good in SM3, I don't know you anymore. Venom in basically any other Spider-Man setting? Fuck yes. 100% agree. But Topher Grace made Eddie Brock look like a bitch in that movie. If you're gonna play the bully, you need to actually, you know, be the bully.

Special effects do not make a movie good, or even decent. Sure Sandman and Venom looked awesome, but so what? The Sandman character was completely unnecessary in a movie that also included Harry and Venom. Yeah, they could've done Harry and Sandman with the blacksuit, and then wait for SM4 to do Venom proper, but that's not what happened. Venom didn't kill the film, Sandman did. Raimi was dead-set on doing Sandman, and Sony basically forced him to include Venom, because joe-schmoe in the audience is going to want to see a movie with Venom more than a movie with the fucking Sandman, the blacksuit is the reason why that movie made around $1B, not because of Marko.

If it's an action movie, special effects certainly do make a movie good, or at least contribute towards it.

And the black suit, with the implication that Spidey might be flirting with going evil, may have been a draw to mainstream fans, yeah. But no way does anybody give a rat's ass about Venom.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. The majority of my friends who love comic book movies (which I'm confident are a good representation of the general moviegoing audience) have never read a comic in their life, they know this shit from the FOX saturday morning cartoons and Genesis/SNES games. NO ONE who was excited about SM3 that didn't read the comics was pumped about the fucking Sandman. You're way deep in geekdom if you don't think Venom puts asses in seats. Why else would Sony have been so insistent on Raimi including Venom, when he said so long as he was making Spidey films there would be no Venom/Carnage, espcially considering how successful the first two films were? Cos their research showed that no one was excited to see Flint fucking Marko, EVERYONE (who isn't a comic book nerd) wanted Venom; hence why the suits let Sam keep Sandman while including Venom.

Green Goblin looked stupid, but I'm not sure how you don't make him look stupid unless you use his Ultimate version. I thought Doc Ock was fine for the second one (even if I'm indifferent to him in the comics), and the Lizard in ASM was about as hackneyed as a villain as it gets. Venom hates Spidey for ruining his life, and Carnage likes to kill shit because, hey, it's fun (Carnage's M.O. Always reminded me of The Joker's). What's good as a character is that Venom's motives don't necessarily make him BAD, it's just personal for him.

Counterpoint: Venom didn't even exist when I was a kid, and the people who like him need to remove themselves from my lawn forthwith.

The people who like Venom/Carnage are the ones who grew up with FOX Spiderman/X-men cartoons and playing Separation Anxiety/Maximum Carnage all afternoon. That's the vast majority of the movie-paying audience for these types of films. You think Sony suits give two shits about what some 45 year old thinks about Sandman's character development since 1972?

Y'all act like Spiderman 3 wasn't going to make a shit ton of money either way.  The first two were popular as hell.  People were going to see the 3rd no matter what.

I;m not sure what the conversation is since we established Batman won the rogues debate, but this feels off topic again.

People were talking about how the regular movie going audience didn't care about Sandman, as if that would have any bearing on whether or not people actually saw the movie.