DVDVR Message Board

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

RIPPA

I was thinking everything before recent growth of women's game as "gen1". Prob pre 21st century should be one gen, them 2001 to 2015/19 and then present. 

Also didn't have time to actually look up when Japan had won stuff, just remembered they had. 

Colombia advances for the first time ever in the WWC besting Jamaica 1-0.   Inglaterra is next.   

The English side will be without Lauren James because of her red card (for deliberately stepping on a Nigerian defender).  

There's a serious chance the number of black eyes coming out of that match will outnumber the goals scored. 

On 8/7/2023 at 6:42 PM, odessasteps said:

I was thinking everything before recent growth of women's game as "gen1". Prob pre 21st century should be one gen, them 2001 to 2015/19 and then present. 

Also didn't have time to actually look up when Japan had won stuff, just remembered they had. 

Fair enough. I always have first gen as the 90ies 00ies teams who were contending, but it's probably something I just made up anyway. Japan was definitely there at the start, I only always had them at No. 2 in Asia early on until they overtook China, but yeah... You're definitely right that they were an established power entering this tournament. 

Australia beat France on sudden death penalties, 7-6 in the quarter-final. The longest shootout in Women's World Cup history. Feel especially for the French player, Kenza Dali who had her penalty saved, to be retaken as Australia goalkeeper Mackenzie Arnold was off her line and she missed again. Arnold made three saves and missed her penalty.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:56 AM, lostinube said:

So there will be a first time winner this year. Two first time semi-finalists (Australia and Spain). Sweden have finished third three times and England once.

Japan is out so fu-- um, go Australia, maybe.

Sweden also have a runners up finish to their name. 

But this still feels quite a bit like a changing of the guard. 

After two semi-final defeats, England make their first World Cup Final. I genuinely think England are going to do it which is even more impressive when you think about those who have retired like Jill Scott or done their ACL in like Beth Mead.

Three one to the ENG-ER-LAND.

(Sorry, had to do it)

Nice to see them win one against Aussies this summer.

Considering the civil war that broke out amongst Spain's players just last year, it's a shock to see them there. Their coach seems like an asshole, but some very good players. I like England's chances though.

Considering that 3 of the four semi-finalists for the WWC were Euro, can only nutrure the game more in Europe, which is great.

• Like 1