DVDVR Message Board

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

RIPPA

The men's being so late in 2022 made me forget that the Women's World Cup is only 6 months after

July 20, 2023 - August 20, 2023

Australia and New Zealand are the host countries

And for CONCACAF

The 8 teams are split into 2 groups of 4 - Top 2 in each group automatically advance

The 3rd place teams go to the inter confederation playoffs

The July tournament will also serve as Olympic qualifying for the 2024 Summer Olympics (the team that wins the tournament automatically qualifies while the 2nd and 3rd place team will play a match where the winner gets the other Olympic berth)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

also, WAFCON is going on right now. I heard Jonathan Wilson say Morocco’s early success this tournament is rare for a North African womens team, since West/Central teams usually dominate the tournament, 

6 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Everyone who had Mexico WNT losing their first two games (including a 3-0 loss to HAITI!) and missing both the Olympics AND the Women's World Cup, raise your hand.

And thanks to that loss and the US's win - the US has qualified for both

Funny moment from earlier: I was looking at I think the BBC's MBM feed in pregame and someone posted something during the pregame to the equivalence of "Norway are good, but their defense is shaky. I can see England putting two, three or four goals past them"

My immediate thought was "Ah, hubris. This is going to be England's trap game that they always have, right?" 

Um.. no.. 

And It's seven years old at this point, but still funny.

vZlDxMzpJWLnjGuUoI3yCiRVM31gAb-mQwddSsq9

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Ireland in, but Wales out. 

So apparently after beating the Scots, the Irish lasses sang a song referencing the IRA and many pearls have been clutched.  The Irish have apologized, but of course, have to eat a little bit of shit on camera for it...

(Watch how she came *THIS CLOSE* to ending this pompous twat.)

I heard the coach on Second Captains and her apology sounded genuine and not “I’m sorry if you were offended.”

I guess there is also now a clip of a rugby team singing the song from years ago, but weren’t filmed singing the Up The Ra part.