DVDVR Message Board

Best AEW Matches Ever.

The Natural

Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz at the Mr. Brodie Lee Celebration of Life AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020. We all cried.  Such an emotional watch. One of the best matches in AEW history.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 months later...

1.  Texas Death Match - Page/Mox

2. Winter is Coming - Page/Danielson

3. Double or Nothing - Cody/Dustin

4.  Omega/Danielson

5.  Bucks v Omega/Hangman

The TDM was just absolute glorious, glorious unbridled violence.  I'm also counting it into basically "breaking" Mox and pushing the BCC into full blown heel mode

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 3

Update:

30. Minoru Suzuki vs. Samoa Joe. AEW Dynamite, 13th April 2022.

29. Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.

28. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October 2021.

27. MJF vs. Darby Allin. AEW Full Gear, 13th November 2021.

26. Trent/Chuck Taylor vs. Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 16th September 2020.

25. Anna Jay/Tay Conti vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford. AEW Rampage, 31st December 2021.

24. Jon Moxley vs. Wheeler Yuta. AEW Rampage, 8th April 2022.

23. Dax Harwood vs. Cash Wheeler. AEW Dynamite, 27th April 2022.

22. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Battle of the Belts III, 5th August 2022.

21. Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal. AEW Dynamite, 25th January 2023.

20. Jamie Hayter vs. Hikaru Shida. AEW Rampage Holiday Blast, 21st December 2022.

19. Jon Moxley vs. Mr. Brodie Lee. AEW Double or Nothing, 23rd May 2020.

18. Toni Storm vs. Jamie Hayter. AEW Full Gear, 19th November 2022.

17. Cody vs. Mr Brodie Lee. AEW Dynamite, 22nd August 2020.

16. Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.

15. Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution, 5th March 2023. *****.

14. Kenny Omega vs. El Hijo Del Vikingo. AEW Dynamite, 22nd March. *****.

13. Mr. Brodie Lee vs. Cody. AEW Dynamite, 7th October 2020. *****.

12. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution, 29th February 2020. *****.

11. Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

10. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Dynamite, 6th April 2022. *****.

9. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing, 25th May 2019. *****. 

8. CM Punk vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022. *****.

7. MJF vs. CM Punk. AEW Dynamite, 2nd February 2022. *****.

6. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

5. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW St. Patrick's Day Slam Dynamite, 17th March 2021. *****.

4. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 5th March 2023. *****.

3. Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Matches making my list and cagematch:

• Omega/Danielson (Dynamite, 22nd September 2021).
  • Page/Danielson I (Dynamite, 15th December 2021).
  • Page/Silver/Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz (Dynamite, 30th December 2020).
  • MJF/Danielson (Revolution 2023).
  • Page/Danielson II (Dynamite, 6th January 2022).
  • Cody/Dustin (Double or Nothing 2019).
  • FTR/Young Bucks II (Dynamite, 6th April 2022).
  • Danielson/Suzuki (Rampage, 15th October 2021).
  • Omega/Page vs. Young Bucks (Revolution 2020).
  • Page/Moxley (Revolution 2023).
  • Omega/Vikingo (Dynamite, 22nd March 2023).
  • Hayter/Shida (Dynamite, 21st December 2022).
  • Moxley/Yuta (Rampage, 8th April 2022).
  • Best Friends vs. Santana/Ortiz (Dynamite, 16th September 2020).
  • Danielson/Kingston (Rampage, 29th October 2021).

My list only:

• Rosa/Baker (Dynamite, 17th March 2021).
  • MJF/Punk (Dynamite, 2nd February 2022).
  • Punk/MJF (Revolution 2023).
  • Lee/Cody (Dynamite, 7th October 2020).
  • Moxley/Danielson (Revolution 2022).
  • Cody/Lee (Dynamite, 22nd August 2020).
  • Storm/Hayter (Full Gear 2021).
  • Moxley/Lee (Double or Nothing 2020).
  • Briscoe/Lethal (Dynamite, 25th January 2023).
  • Castagnoli/Takeshita (Battle of the Belts II, 5th August 2022).
  • Harwood/Wheeler (Dynamite, 27th April 2022).
  • Jay/Conti vs. Bunny/Ford (Rampage, 31st December 2021).
  • MJF/Allin (Full Gear 2021).
  • Kingston/Jericho (Revolution 2022).
  • Suzuki/Joe (Dynamite, 13th April 2022).

Cagematch only:

• Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros (All Out 2021).
  • Omega/Page (Full Gear 2021).
  • Stadium Stampede (Double or Nothing 2020).
  • Omega/PAC (Dynamite, 26th February 2020).
  • Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros (All Out 2019).
  • The Elite vs. Dark Order (All Out 2022).
  • MJF/Allin/Guevara/Perry (Double or Nothing 2023).
  • FTR vs. Young Bucks (Full Gear 2020).
  • Lee/Strickland vs. Bowens/Caster (All Out 2022).
  • Death Triangle vs. The Elite (Full Gear 2022).
  • Anarchy in the Arena (Double or Nothing 2023).
  • Ospreay/Cassidy (Forbidden Door 2022).
  • Danielson/Garcia (Dynamite, 17th August 2022).
  • Anarchy in the Arena (Double or Nothing 2022).
  • Danielson/Rush (Dynamite, 8th February 2023).

• 2 weeks later...

I think about this all the time, and I love making lists in my head... 

But I would rather submit a list of "A Baker's Dozen of My Favourite AEW Singles Matches" 

Often ( but certainly not always) "my favourite" matches are not the same ones that get judged as "the best" matches. Particularly when the criteria are Meltzer-esque (i.e big epics that run long, have many huge moves and a ton of near-falls, with a huge emphasis on athleticism etc etc)

My personal preference  *tends* to -> generally <- run more to succinct fights that give you something to hang your hat on over and above the "wow" factor. I also (generally tend to) prefer matches that use intensity, violence, and character work in the ring to tell their little story without over-reliance on gimmicks and extraneous bullshit. Finally, while I appreciate story-telling and drama as much as anyone, I can be turned off by badly done over-acting and/or melodrama.

Also, a huge number of my favourite AEW matches involve more than two wrestlers - tags, battles royale, Anarchy etc etc etc - so limiting my list to singles makes it way easier to hit a bunch of things I love without going on forever.

As such:

NUMBER ONE: Bryan vs MiSu on the buy-in.

Probably my absolute favourite recent match and a genuine candidate for Gordlow's Favourite Pro Wrestling Match of All Time. I think a pretty fair percentage of the 1.5 million views the buy-in has on YouTube are me re-watching and enjoying this match yet again. Great wrestling. Great stiffness. A personal Dream Match that lived up to every expectation. But most of all: the way they played up the "You hit me and then I'll hit you" trope-y stuff in a way that invested it with drama and meaning. 

2) Jericho vs Ishii

This was the same week as Eddie Kingston vs Jun Akiyama, which was another Dream Match that lived up to my wild expectations. Yet, I voted for the Jericho match over the Kingston match in DEAN's poll! Ishii LITERALLY chopping Jericho bloody was a big part of that. What a masterful, violent, spectacle this was.

3) Hayter vs Shida

The ladies get that rare chance to main event Dynamite, and they set the bar at "Ok, let's just blatantly go for an AJW type of thing here" and then they CLEAR that extremely high bar.

(The other ten matches are presented without ranking, but in rough order of how much I love them):

Bryan vs Kenny the 30-minute draw.

If you are going to go "epic" this is a REALLY good way to do it. I recall feeling a thrill when this match went on first, because you just knew it meant they were going long. And you could kind of feel that thrill passing through the live crowd... and from the beginning you are completely drawn in, and 30 minutes just flies by. The crowd is insane for the whole thing, too.

Mox vs Darby title match on Dynamite

An absolute clinic on how to get over without going over.

Maki Itoh vs Riho 

I think this was on the first ever Elevation. It won me over to the YouTube shows, and it can stand here to represent all of the great Emi matches and the Bear Country and JD Drake and Sonny Kiss and Toa Lionas of the world that I enjoyed watching on YouTube SO MUCH. 

Powerhouse vs Fenix TNT title defence on the St. Patrick's Day Rampage

One of the things AEW often does very very well is style clashes. This was SUCH a great speed vs power match-up. Was this Hobbs' first defence of the strap?

Eddie Kingston vs Bryan Danielson during the Eliminator tournament.

Yeah, I like hard-hitting dream matches. 

Eddie Kingston vs Cody

Mad King's introduction to AEW. Established him perfectly. Kind of my favourite thing about AEW, how they can bring in relatively unknown or underappreciated wrestlers and very quickly show what's special about them. I want AEW to keep doing as much of this as possible (as opposed to bringing in wrestlers who are already "big names"). And they are still doing it. Vikingo, for example.

Orange vs Ospreay at Forbidden Door

Almost stole the show on the Card of the Year last year. Probably changed some (a lot of?) minds (for the better) about both of these guys. I personally needed no convincing. It was kind of weirdly satisfying for me personally when they showed great chemistry in there and put together such a terrific match when a lot of the speculation was that it would be either an impossible style clash between goofiness and self-seriousness or an empty spot-fest. 

Cash vs Dax  Was this during last year's Owen? I think it was during last year's Owen.

Chemistry!

Orange vs Brodie Lee TNT title match

The one where John Silver eats  an Orange Punch for The Exalted One like a secret service agent taking a bullet for the POTUS. A near-perfect bit of prowrestling bullshit. And a great example of Cassidy working as an underdog. And a great way to remember Brodie Lee.

Darby vs Brody King casket match

Best. Finish. Ever.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

On 6/11/2023 at 7:03 AM, Gordlow said:

I think about this all the time, and I love making lists in my head... 

But I would rather submit a list of "A Baker's Dozen of My Favourite AEW Singles Matches" 

Often ( but certainly not always) "my favourite" matches are not the same ones that get judged as "the best" matches. Particularly when the criteria are Meltzer-esque (i.e big epics that run long, have many huge moves and a ton of near-falls, with a huge emphasis on athleticism etc etc)

My personal preference  *tends* to -> generally <- run more to succinct fights that give you something to hang your hat on over and above the "wow" factor. I also (generally tend to) prefer matches that use intensity, violence, and character work in the ring to tell their little story without over-reliance on gimmicks and extraneous bullshit. Finally, while I appreciate story-telling and drama as much as anyone, I can be turned off by badly done over-acting and/or melodrama.

Also, a huge number of my favourite AEW matches involve more than two wrestlers - tags, battles royale, Anarchy etc etc etc - so limiting my list to singles makes it way easier to hit a bunch of things I love without going on forever.

As such:

NUMBER ONE: Bryan vs MiSu on the buy-in.

Probably my absolute favourite recent match and a genuine candidate for Gordlow's Favourite Pro Wrestling Match of All Time. I think a pretty fair percentage of the 1.5 million views the buy-in has on YouTube are me re-watching and enjoying this match yet again. Great wrestling. Great stiffness. A personal Dream Match that lived up to every expectation. But most of all: the way they played up the "You hit me and then I'll hit you" trope-y stuff in a way that invested it with drama and meaning. 

2) Jericho vs Ishii

This was the same week as Eddie Kingston vs Jun Akiyama, which was another Dream Match that lived up to my wild expectations. Yet, I voted for the Jericho match over the Kingston match in DEAN's poll! Ishii LITERALLY chopping Jericho bloody was a big part of that. What a masterful, violent, spectacle this was.

3) Hayter vs Shida

The ladies get that rare chance to main event Dynamite, and they set the bar at "Ok, let's just blatantly go for an AJW type of thing here" and then they CLEAR that extremely high bar.

(The other ten matches are presented without ranking, but in rough order of how much I love them):

Bryan vs Kenny the 30-minute draw.

If you are going to go "epic" this is a REALLY good way to do it. I recall feeling a thrill when this match went on first, because you just knew it meant they were going long. And you could kind of feel that thrill passing through the live crowd... and from the beginning you are completely drawn in, and 30 minutes just flies by. The crowd is insane for the whole thing, too.

Mox vs Darby title match on Dynamite

An absolute clinic on how to get over without going over.

Maki Itoh vs Riho 

I think this was on the first ever Elevation. It won me over to the YouTube shows, and it can stand here to represent all of the great Emi matches and the Bear Country and JD Drake and Sonny Kiss and Toa Lionas of the world that I enjoyed watching on YouTube SO MUCH. 

Powerhouse vs Fenix TNT title defence on the St. Patrick's Day Rampage

One of the things AEW often does very very well is style clashes. This was SUCH a great speed vs power match-up. Was this Hobbs' first defence of the strap?

Eddie Kingston vs Bryan Danielson during the Eliminator tournament.

Yeah, I like hard-hitting dream matches. 

Eddie Kingston vs Cody

Mad King's introduction to AEW. Established him perfectly. Kind of my favourite thing about AEW, how they can bring in relatively unknown or underappreciated wrestlers and very quickly show what's special about them. I want AEW to keep doing as much of this as possible (as opposed to bringing in wrestlers who are already "big names"). And they are still doing it. Vikingo, for example.

Orange vs Ospreay at Forbidden Door

Almost stole the show on the Card of the Year last year. Probably changed some (a lot of?) minds (for the better) about both of these guys. I personally needed no convincing. It was kind of weirdly satisfying for me personally when they showed great chemistry in there and put together such a terrific match when a lot of the speculation was that it would be either an impossible style clash between goofiness and self-seriousness or an empty spot-fest. 

Cash vs Dax  Was this during last year's Owen? I think it was during last year's Owen.

Chemistry!

Orange vs Brodie Lee TNT title match

The one where John Silver eats  an Orange Punch for The Exalted One like a secret service agent taking a bullet for the POTUS. A near-perfect bit of prowrestling bullshit. And a great example of Cassidy working as an underdog. And a great way to remember Brodie Lee.

Darby vs Brody King casket match

Best. Finish. Ever.

Thanks for your list. Ta for reminding me I need to bump Cody/Kingston up my list next time round. Yes, Harwood vs. Wheeler was in the Owen Hart Cup Tournament.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-best-aew-matches-ever-according-to-the-internet

The top ten AEW matches on cagematch:

10. Page/Moxley (Revolution 2023).

9. Stadium Stampede (Double or Nothing 2020).

8. Omega/Page (Full Gear 2021).

7. Cody/Dustin (Double or Nothing 2019).

6. Page/Danielson (Dynamite, 6th January 2022).

5. Young Bucks/Lucha Bros (All Out 2021).

4. Page/Danielson (Dynamite, 15th December 2021).

3. Omega/Danielson (Dynamite, 22nd September 2021).

2. MJF/Danielson (Revolution 2023).

1. Omega/Page vs. Young Bucks (Revolution 2020).

Mine:

10. FTR vs. Young Bucks (Dynamite, 6th April 2022).

9. Cody/Dustin (Double or Nothing 2019).

8. Punk/MJF (Revolution 2022).

7. MJF/Punk (Dynamite, 2nd February 2022).

6. Page/Danielson (Dynamite, 6th January 2022).

5. Rosa/Baker (St. Patrick's Day Slam Dynamite, 17th March 2021).

4. MJF/Danielson (Revolution 2023).

3. Page/Silver/Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz (Dynamite, 30th December 2020).

2. Page/Danielson (Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021).

1. Omega/Danielson (Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021).

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega is the best match in AEW history and my dream match for years, Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada is happening at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 this weekend. Can't fucking wait!

• Like 1

🐙’s (off the top of the head without rewatching, but did check out a couple of fun YouTube MV’s) top 25 AEW Matches of ALL TIME

1. MJF vs Bryan Danielson - Revolution 2023

2 Hangman Adam Page & Kenny Omega vs the Young Bucks - Revolution 2020

3. Hangman Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson - Winter is Coming 2021

4. Eddie Kingston vs Bryan Danielson - Rampage 10/27/2021

5. Eddie Kingston vs CM Punk - Full Gear 2021

6. Kenny Omega vs Bryan Danielson - Grand Slam 2021

7. Anarchy in the Arena - Double or Nothing 2022

8. CM Punk vs MJF - Revolution 2022

9. Cody vs Dustin Rhodes - Double or Nothing 2019

10. Hangman Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson - Dynamite 1/15/2022

11. Chris Jericho vs Ishii - Thanksgiving 2022

12. Hangman Adam Page vs Jon Moxley - Revolution 2023

13. Kenny Omega vs Will Osprey - Forbidden Door 2023

14. FTR vs the Young Bucks - Dynamite 4/6/2022

15. Jamie Hayter vs Hikaru Shida - Holiday Blast 2022

16. Bryan Danielson vs RUSH - Dynamite 2/8/2023

17. Samoa Joe vs Darby Allin - Dynamite 2/1/2023

18. Jon Moxley vs Chris Jericho QUAKE BY THE LAAAAAAAKE 2022

19. Dr Brit Baker vs Thunder Rosa - St Patrick’s Day Slam 2021

20 (tie). Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki - Rampage Zero Hour 10/15/2021

20 (tie). Eddie Kingston vs Jun Akiyama - Full Gear Zero Hour 2022

21. Stadium Stampede- Double or Nothing 2020

22. Bryan Danielson vs Kazuchika Okada - Forbidden Door 2023

23. TayJay vs Penelope Ford & the Bunny - New Year’s Smash 2021

24. Kenny Omega vs El Hijo Del Vikingo - Dynamite 3/22/2023

25. Best Friends vs Santana & Ortiz - Dynamite 9/10/2020

theres a few close calls that I’d like to rewatch. Next time I do one maybe I’ll bump the number higher to include more close calls.

A lot of the Trio matches were fun but so much blends together in my memory. 

Edited by Octopus
Edit for adding QUAKE BY THE LAKE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 3:47 AM, Octopus said:

🐙’s (off the top of the head without rewatching, but did check out a couple of fun YouTube MV’s) top 25 AEW Matches of ALL TIME

1. MJF vs Bryan Danielson - Revolution 2023

2 Hangman Adam Page & Kenny Omega vs the Young Bucks - Revolution 2020

3. Hangman Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson - Winter is Coming 2021

4. Eddie Kingston vs Bryan Danielson - Rampage 10/27/2021

5. Eddie Kingston vs CM Punk - Full Gear 2021

6. Kenny Omega vs Bryan Danielson - Grand Slam 2021

7. Anarchy in the Arena - Double or Nothing 2022

8. CM Punk vs MJF - Revolution 2022

9. Cody vs Dustin Rhodes - Double or Nothing 2019

10. Hangman Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson - Dynamite 1/15/2022

11. Chris Jericho vs Ishii - Thanksgiving 2022

12. Hangman Adam Page vs Jon Moxley - Revolution 2023

13. Kenny Omega vs Will Osprey - Forbidden Door 2023

14. FTR vs the Young Bucks - Dynamite 4/6/2022

15. Jamie Hayter vs Hikaru Shida - Holiday Blast 2022

16. Bryan Danielson vs RUSH - Dynamite 2/8/2023

17. Samoa Joe vs Darby Allin - Dynamite 2/1/2023

18. Jon Moxley vs Chris Jericho QUAKE BY THE LAAAAAAAKE 2022

19. Dr Brit Baker vs Thunder Rosa - St Patrick’s Day Slam 2021

20 (tie). Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki - Rampage Zero Hour 10/15/2021

20 (tie). Eddie Kingston vs Jun Akiyama - Full Gear Zero Hour 2022

21. Stadium Stampede- Double or Nothing 2020

22. Bryan Danielson vs Kazuchika Okada - Forbidden Door 2023

23. TayJay vs Penelope Ford & the Bunny - New Year’s Smash 2021

24. Kenny Omega vs El Hijo Del Vikingo - Dynamite 3/22/2023

25. Best Friends vs Santana & Ortiz - Dynamite 9/10/2020

theres a few close calls that I’d like to rewatch. Next time I do one maybe I’ll bump the number higher to include more close calls.

A lot of the Trio matches were fun but so much blends together in my memory. 

Cheers, David. Interesting seeing where we agree and disagree on. My #1 is your #6. Your #1 is my #4. Nice how we both rate Page/Danielson I over the rematch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Am I total weirdo for thinking my favorite match is The Acclaimed vs. Swerve In Their Glory I, and that The Acclaimed vs. Jeff Jarrett/Jay Lethal and OC vs. Jeff Jarrett are in my Top 5?

we sometimes don't see eye to eye, but I'm totally with you on this -- Acclaimed v Swerve in Our Glory at All Out was superb. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Am I total weirdo for thinking my favorite match is The Acclaimed vs. Swerve In Their Glory I, and that The Acclaimed vs. Jeff Jarrett/Jay Lethal and OC vs. Jeff Jarrett are in my Top 5?

Not at all. You like what you like, man. I sometimes think Swerve in their Glory vs. The Acclaimed I from All Out 2022 should be on my list. Tony Khan needed to call an audible and have the Acclaimed win there than Grand Slam Dynamite 2. Like Eddie Kingston should have beat Miro at All Out 2021 for the TNT Championship.

Edited by The Natural

On 7/10/2023 at 8:59 AM, Greggulator said:

Not at all.  In the long run it might be one of those dark horse matches that’ll be a bit overlooked because I don’t think many people saw it coming.  That is over how fucking great it turned out.  

But The Acclaimed was still a developing act that was just hitting its stride.  And then there is Jarrett.  Who most didn’t see as being capable of churning out the fun and quality at this or any age.  But yeah.  All those matches rock.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Post AEW Double or Nothing 2023, AEW Collison 2023, AEW All In 2023, AEW All Out 2023 and AEW WrestleDream 2023 update: 

30. MJF vs. Darby Allin. AEW Full Gear, 13th November 2021.

29. Trent/Chuck Taylor vs. Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 16th September 2020.

28. Anna Jay/Tay Conti vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford. AEW Rampage, 31st December 2021.

27. Dax Harwood vs. Cash Wheeler. AEW Dynamite, 27th April 2022.

26. Kenny Omega vs. El Hijo Del Vikingo. AEW Dynamite, 22nd March 2023.

25. Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal. AEW Dynamite, 25th January 2023.

24. Jon Moxley vs. Mr. Brodie Lee. AEW Double or Nothing, 23rd May 2020.

23. Jay White/Juice Robinson vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. AEW Collison, 8th July 2023.

22. Jamie Hayter vs. Hikaru Shida. AEW Rampage Holiday Blast, 21st December 2022.

21. Toni Storm vs. Jamie Hayter. AEW Full Gear, 19th November 2022.

20. Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, 25th June 2023.

19. Cody vs. Mr Brodie Lee. AEW Dynamite, 22nd August 2020.

18. Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.

17. Mr. Brodie Lee vs. Cody. AEW Dynamite, 7th October 2020. *****.

16. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Revolution, 29th February 2020. *****.

15. Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution, 5th March 2023. *****.

14. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. AEW Dynamite, 6th April 2022. *****.

13. Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

12. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing, 25th May 2019. *****. 

11. CM Punk vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022. *****.

10. MJF vs. CM Punk. AEW Dynamite, 2nd February 2022. *****.

9. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

8. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW St. Patrick's Day Slam Dynamite, 17th March 2021. *****.

7. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson. AEW Collison, 15th July 2023. *****.

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW All Out, 3rd September 2023. *****.

5. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 5th March 2023. *****.

4. Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020.

3. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

2. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. AEW WrestleDream, 1st October 2023. *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Just finished watching Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023 ***** and my long time #1 Best Match in AEW History, Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. And...NEW!!!

Well, damn. I was planning on finally getting to Wrestledream this weekend. I guess I need to make that a priority now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Log said:

Well, damn. I was planning on finally getting to Wrestledream this weekend. I guess I need to make that a priority now. 

Hope you like Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023, mate. Look forward to getting your take. Watched Bryan Danielson/Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023 three times now and I like it even more on each viewing.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

This is how much I love Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr at AEW WrestleDream 2023, it's up there with Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena from WWE SummerSlam 2013 which I've long held as Bryan Danielson's best match ever. I know that opinion is a minority one as others have rated different matches of his as #1 which is a testament to Bryan Danielson's match quality.

2 hours ago, Log said:

I had to go back because I missed it too and it was well, well worth it. A slew of solid matches. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

So, yes. Sabre/Danielson is as good as advertised. 

I’m not big on long match write ups, but I’ll say that a technical wrestling match, worked mainly on the mat, had my six-year-old living and dying by every little change of momentum. Same kid who asked to fast-forward through the Swerve/Hangman match because it was “boring”. 

Am I living with a tiny @Matt D?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

So, every time this thread gets bumped I always think about whatever match it is that caused it to be bumped and then say to myself “…nope, the parking lot brawl is still my favorite AEW match ever”

And I wonder why that is, and I think it’s because more so than any other match in company history it captures the essence of AEW: Daily’s Place during the pandemic, Best Friends who are the heart and soul of the promotion, the irreverent humor with Sue and the van, no ex-WWE notables, and the grittiness / reality of doing it all in one cut

So yeah it’s still my favorite. Dunno what’s going to top it.

Rosa/Baker, Pac/Cassidy and the Bucks/Omega/Page tag are also kind of like this to me and round out my top 4 in some order. Then probably Danielson/Suzuki.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1