DVDVR Message Board

The Rugby Thread, 2nd Tackle

SirFozzie

England slumped to a fifth defeat in six matches as Fiji beat them for the first time 22-30 at Twickenham as both sides ended their World Cup preparations. Steve Borthwick is very lucky to be England rugby coach before these results, more after plus the RFU stupidly letting Ireland get Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards to France respectively.

The Rugby World Cup begins this weekend with the opening match between New Zealand and France taking place on Friday night.

The All Blacks were riding high at the start of this season, and people were starting to talk us up as favorites, but that came undone after a warm up match at Twickenham where the All Blacks suffered their worst ever defeat. Now you have legendary French hard man, Oliver Magne, calling this the worst All Blacks side in history. In truth, the winning percentage under coach Ian Foster has been poor by All Black standards, and I don’t expect the team to make it past the quarters, but at least we can play without the pressure of being favorites.

France have been a machine during the past four years, and destroyed us the last time we played them in Paris. I doubt they’ll wilt under the pressure of a home tournament, and I expect them to be fired up for the opener. The All Blacks have never lost a match in the pool stages, but this is arguably the toughest opponent they’ve faced. Topping the pool would give us a better hope of advancing to the semis, but I think we’ll see the All Blacks lose for the first time in a pool match. The question is how badly? If France thrash us, it will be hard to see the team picking itself up off the canvas.

France and Ireland are the favorites to win the Cup, but South Africa know how to play World Cup winning rugby. I’m hoping we’ll see France or Ireland win a maiden title, but I have a nagging feeling about the Boks.

If you need a reason to root against France, here's a good one.

They called up a player who's currently appealing a six month jail sentence for a racially-based assault on a fellow rugby player.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/12955207/rugby-world-cup-bastien-chalureau-insists-he-is-not-a-racist-after-france-call#:~:text=France lock Bastien Chalureau has,racially-motivated attack in 2020.

not sure how many Extended Highlights videos of RWC matches i'll watch before I forget to watch them but.. I am confident I would have gotten wrecked if I did any rugby stuff. Not just because of the Samoan % of my hometown (a percentage that occasionally means that my High School's football team has good linemen)

I watched altogether too much nail-biting rugby on Sunday that I'm still recovering. In the other code, there was Newcastle vs. Canberra (admittedly that was on the radio as I went out for breakfast,) then there was Salford getting a try in extra time to sink Wire. The most important game was actually the League One Eliminator between Oldham and the mighty North Wales Crusaders; 13-12 to the Cru, late field goal after a knock-on got reversed into a penalty after a fight.

And finally in the World Cup, Fiji vs. Wales, my eyelid starting to twitch, flashing back to that hundred minute match against France.

Namibia got demolished by New Zealand. My personal favorite moment was I AM (De) GROOT being sent off,

And @ohtani's jacket just activated my TRAP card. Was waiting for someone to say "Yeah, the 'Boks look undefeatable".. but this'll do nicely

Edited by SirFozzie

The plot thickens at the Rugby World Cup. 

Fabien Galthie responded to criticism of France's performance against Uruguay by fielding a full strength team against Namibia. They destroyed Namibia, but Antonine Dupont left the field injured and news has come out that he may have broken his jaw. France's World Cup is starting to resemble 2011 for New Zealand when Dan Carter was injured.

Two big games coming up on the weekend, Ireland vs. South Africa and Wales vs. Australia. 

South Africa vs. Ireland was a good old-fashioned arm wrestle. Ireland defended extremely well. I thought they were going to choke after the first quarter where they turned over so much lineout ball, but they were ferocious in defense. It was an extremely physical match, and I couldn't help but worry about whether NZ can match either of these teams physically. South Africa were let down by their pool goalkicking, which several pundits predicted. The Irish fans are amazing.

The Wallabies failed to fire a shot in what was a must-win pool match for them. They suffered their heaviest defeat in World Cup history and will surely miss the quarters for first time ever. It was also the first time that they've lost consecutive matches at a World Cup. Despite the grief that Australia has given New Zealand over the years, I didn't feel good about this. These are the guys we play three times a year, and pretty much the only international club competition we face. If our primary opposition is this bad is it any wonder why we're struggling against the top sides? Wales played well, and Gatland appears to have done a good job galvanizing the squad, but it was like watching men against boys, which to be fair was exactly what it was.

Edited by ohtani's jacket