DVDVR Message Board

Pro Wrestling NOAH

Johnny Rodz

They did a bit of a fake-out with the main event entrances. They had a taiko drummer perform making people think it would be Muta coming out first but then Lee England Jr. came out and performed Shinsuke's WWE entrance. Muto just came out kind of normally.

Also, I think Shinsuke must have just debuted new gear judging by the audience reaction.

Fun show. The big title match has one crazy dive and one crazy top rope spot that are already on twitter. It was streaming free in Japan so I think they really wanted to make an impression on the people who usually stay in on New Year's Day - a lot of places are still closed on January 1st, not as much as before but the 2nd is when all the sales and lucky bags are really begin in earnest.

• Like 2

Fun, entertaining show for sure. Shinsuke made the main totally passable. I love me some Thatcher, he deserves a spot on any card. X is still better than half the guys in the business. Still not sold on Kiyomiya. Too Indy-rific in look and work. Stupid things like top rope falcon arrows to the outside should never get past the ‘what if’ stage.

Edited by matwarz

9,500 Fans in the Budokan. Very good number probably past the breaking even point.

Spoiler

Surprised about Jake Lee. But maybe I shouldn't be. His background in training and kicks fit in NOAH more. Nice young tall dude.

X being Hase is nice. 

I will be back later.

• Like 1

As someone who doesn't watch NOAH regularly, I felt this show was dragging until the tag team title match, which I really enjoyed. I thought Kiyomiya vs Kenoh was a war and absolutely great. Normally I struggle to get into Kenoh matches, he's one of those guys I just have an irrational dislike towards. 

I'll probably stick around and watch more of the January shows if they're on Wrestle Universe and see if NOAH can replace All Japan on my watch list, just wish Japanese commentary was an option.

Spoiler

Disappointed in Jake's choice from a selfish personal standpoint, but definitely get it. Jake vs Inamura should be a blast

8 hours ago, Horangi said:

As someone who doesn't watch NOAH regularly, I felt this show was dragging until the tag team title match, which I really enjoyed. I thought Kiyomiya vs Kenoh was a war and absolutely great. Normally I struggle to get into Kenoh matches, he's one of those guys I just have an irrational dislike towards. 

I'll probably stick around and watch more of the January shows if they're on Wrestle Universe and see if NOAH can replace All Japan on my watch list, just wish Japanese commentary was an option.

Reveal hidden contents

Disappointed in Jake's choice from a selfish personal standpoint, but definitely get it. Jake vs Inamura should be a blast

https://www.wrestle-universe.com/en/lives/jZ7JRnvjWiU9fBhguFsCcP

On 1/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, Horangi said:

Normally I struggle to get into Kenoh matches, he's one of those guys I just have an irrational dislike towards. 

His damn haircut. I can't take him seriously just because of that. You are not irrational at all.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, matwarz said:

X is the age because if you didn’t know you wouldn’t be able to guess. The guy is timeless

His face and body look his age, his wrestling does not. I.e. if he would wear a t-shirt and face paint (like Sting), you would have no idea if he were 45 or 61.

And "fuck Kiyomiya", spots like that Falcon Arrow to the edge of the ring have no place in (my) pro wrestling.

Edited by Robert S

Hase (remember, he is the governor of Ishikawa prefecture) straight up lied to the press in early December during a press conference where he said that he would be taking some private time off during the New Year's break. Someone asked if he was so tan because he was training for a pro wrestling match and he said was not and that he was only training (and tanning) as a way to ward off covid. He later said that he would be a pro wrestler until he died.

The final Great Muta match will be Muta, Sting & Darby Allin vs. Marufuji, Hakushi & AKIRA. I would be shocked if Hase won't work the Muto retirement match. Are there other "second generation" guys still around (besides AKIRA and Muto)? I would not count Suzuki; Funaki is a second generation guy but he has barely any shared history with Muto. Koshinaka is not a NJ-"trueborn", but I am sure he will be involved in the retirement match somehow.

Fron Purolove

NOAH "GREAT MUTA FINAL "BYE-BYE"", 22.01.2023 (Abema/Wrestle Universe/Fite)
Yokohama Arena

1. Welcome to bye bye: Atsushi Kotoge & Seiki Yoshioka vs. Hajime Ohara & Hi69
2. Who is the valkyrie?: Saori Anou & Jungle Kyona vs. Sumire Natsu & Maya Yukihi
3. BEST OF IRON MAN: Timothy Thatcher vs. Masaaki Mochizuki 
4. This is Anarchy Time: Yoshinari Ogawa, Eita  & NOSAWA Rongai vs. Junta Miyawaki, Alejandro & Yasutaka Yano
5. WRESTLING BATTLE CRY: Jake Lee, Jack Morris & Anthony Greene vs. Masa Kitamiya, Daiki Inaba & Yoshiki Inamura
6. GHC Martial Arts Rules: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Hideki Suzuki
7. To rise sky high: Ultimo Dragon, AMAKUSA & Ninja Mack vs. YO-HEY, Kzy  & Dante Leon
8. Champion's Night: Kaito Kiyomiya, Takashi Sugiura, Satoshi Kojima  & Hijo de Dr. Wagner Jr. vs. Kenoh, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Masakatsu Funaki & Manabu Soya
9. End of Nightmare: Great Muta, Sting  & Darby Allin  vs. Naomichi Marufuji, Hakushi  & AKIRA

• Like 1