DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I am guessing Conor did not personally author those tweets. Seems incredibly cool headed for him. I appreciate Sinead's sentiments but she went from 0-100 real quick. 

Seems like everyone is going from 0-100 these days.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I am guessing Conor did not personally author those tweets. Seems incredibly cool headed for him. I appreciate Sinead's sentiments but she went from 0-100 real quick. 

Dude, I can imagine Conor dictating his thoughts to his social media intern/personal assistant and said person having to translate it from pure babble.

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

to be fair, i was wondering about that last night. 

Dude, I'm still wondering if we're ever going to get a UFC 176 (which was suppose to take place on my birthday turns out). I think the official reason it never happened was they had already came up with press materials or something like that. There have been UFCs in the last few years where they've changed the official poster like one or two times at least during fight week.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, I'm still wondering if we're ever going to get a UFC 176 (which was suppose to take place on my birthday turns out). I think the official reason it never happened was they had already came up with press materials or something like that.

it'd be cool to put on 176 now as some sort of throwback show. i don't know how you pull that off in MMA without it being all past their prime dudes, but it would make it stand out

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, I'm still wondering if we're ever going to get a UFC 176 (which was suppose to take place on my birthday turns out). I think the official reason it never happened was they had already came up with press materials or something like that. There have been UFCs in the last few years where they've changed the official poster like one or two times at least during fight week.

UFC 151.

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

UFC 151.

Jon Jones and Greg Jackson killed the sport a 100 UFC PPVs ago. Long live zombie UFC.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

So apparently the plan is for UFC 249 to actually happen on the 9th of May (this year), and the card to be this:

• Tony Ferguson vs Justin Gaethje
  • Henry vs Cruz
  • Ngannou vs Rozenstruik
  • Cowboy vs Pettis
  • Stephens vs Kattar
  • Hardy vs De Castro
  • Oleinik vs Werdum
  • Mitchell vs Rosa
  • Esparza vs Waterson
  • Spann vs Alvey
  • Hall vs Jacare
  • Luque vs Price 2
Edited by AxB

39 minutes ago, AxB said:

So apparently the plan is for UFC 249 to actually happen on the 9th of May (this year), and the card to be this:

• Tony Ferguson vs Justin Gaethje
  • Henry vs Cruz
  • Ngannou vs Rozenstruik
  • Cowboy vs Pettis
  • Stephens vs Kattar
  • Hardy vs De Castro
  • Oleinik vs Werdum
  • Mitchell vs Rosa
  • Esparza vs Waterson
  • Spann vs Alvey
  • Hall vs Jacare
  • Luque vs Price 2

The main card is Ferguson vs. Gaethje, Cejudo vs. Dom, Ngannou vs. Jairzinho, Stephens vs. Kattar, and Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro. Pettis vs. Cerrone II is headlining the ESPN portion.

Here is the official breakdown:

EWZI0ASXQAUqxm4?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

FYI,

The three planned UFC events next month are taking place at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida. Only essential personnel in attendance. They will be closed to the public.

The Florida State Boxing Commission is overseeing the event. Granted, I realize that Florida has seemingly been one of the states that's been controversial through this whole pandemic. 

EDIT:

I can't say I'm a fan of Dominick Cruz coming off a three and a half year layoff and fighting Cejudo for the belt, but this is an odd time. Not sure what's going on with Petr Yan during this pandemic. Sterling didn't seem ready for a fight at the moment, and I can't blame him for that either.

I wonder what the mindset is for Cejudo and Cruz for these fights. Can they even seriously train for this fight? Can any fighter seriously train through this pandemic?

Edited by TheVileOne

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I can't say I'm a fan of Dominick Cruz coming off a three and a half year layoff and fighting Cejudo for the belt, but this is an odd time.

sqtYh99.gif

plus, Cruz doesn't believe in ring rust.

• Like 2

That's like the one time the Mauro overreaction screaming actually added to a match. To be honest, my friends and I were probably drowning him out. That and the suplex on Fedor were just the highlight of Big Kev's pro career.

And not sure how I feel about the 249 card. I agree with the concerns about timing and camps... but the thirsty fight fan in me likes how stacked this is. I know a lot of the prelim people are really old, but to me they're still stars, so that's a draw to me. And I love Bryce after the twister.

Hopefully de Castro has some nice heavy hands for Hardy, but I'm not a fan of the reach disparity (admittedly, I've not seen Hardy use a jab, so...). Every fight looks fun, which I guess is the aim of this rather than necessarily giving us amazing insights about any of the divisions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, throughsilver said:

That's like the one time the Mauro overreaction screaming actually added to a match. To be honest, my friends and I were probably drowning him out. That and the suplex on Fedor were just the highlight of Big Kev's pro career.

And not sure how I feel about the 249 card. I agree with the concerns about timing and camps... but the thirsty fight fan in me likes how stacked this is. I know a lot of the prelim people are really old, but to me they're still stars, so that's a draw to me. And I love Bryce after the twister.

Hopefully de Castro has some nice heavy hands for Hardy, but I'm not a fan of the reach disparity (admittedly, I've not seen Hardy use a jab, so...). Every fight looks fun, which I guess is the aim of this rather than necessarily giving us amazing insights about any of the divisions.

Admittedly, I wasn't a big fan of De Castro coming off the Contender series (I mean he knocked out some random dude in a sloppy fight and it wasn't exactly that memorable...you can find a bunch of HWs that can do that). However, he looked a little bit more UFC ready against Tafa even though the fight wasn't that long. This is actually a decent matchup because Hardy has a sturdy chin and not much else besides prerequisite HW MMA skills and being kinda mobile. Coming into this fight under these circumstances, I don't imagine that's changed. If De Castro actually is the dude Dana had a big hard on for during the Contender series, I mean he can probably beat Hardy. However, I'm still not sure what De Castro is. He could either be really bad or really good. Hardy, at least, has enough to test that.

• Like 1