DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Just a quick note…I just watched the 30 minute Iron Man between Rude and Steamboat from whatever Summer-themed ppv that was.  Fuuuck man, those guys were absolutely two of the best to ever do it.  STRONGLY recommend.

Sorry for the double post. Beach Blast '92 is my favorite WCW PPV ever. The whole card is excellent. I have it right in front of Spring Stampede '94 and then maaaaaaaybe Starrcade '96. 

I love Rude's panic at the end of the match where he's desperately trying to pick up a pinfall. His inability to do so was so satisfying. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Sorry for the double post. Beach Blast '92 is my favorite WCW PPV ever. The whole card is excellent. I have it right in front of Spring Stampede '94 and then maaaaaaaybe Starrcade '96. 

I love Rude's panic at the end of the match where he's desperately trying to pick up a pinfall. His inability to do so was so satisfying. 

Damn right.  The whole match was laid out incredibly well.

Watching the six man, I called my wife over and asked her to guess Arn Anderson’s age.  She said maybe late 40s.  Loooooool my dude was 33.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's go back to August 1993 WCW once again, WCW Saturday Night (8/21/1993)

Tonight! Sting vs Flair!

Sid Vicious and Harlem Heat vs 2 Cold Scorpio, Marcus Alexander Bagwell and Ron Simmons: Sid and Harlem Heat, what a stable. Charlie Norris makes his debut later tonight! Ice Train! Johnny B. Badd unmasks! Center Stage is ready to see their kings 2 Cold Scorpio and Ron Simmons in action. Scorpio and Booker start off in a match that would have been fun in several years. Stevie vs Bagwell is a little less interesting but the crowd sounds pumped up for Stevie vs Ron Simmons. Simmons cleans house and knocks Sid to the floor. Sid gets into the match vs Simmons, a bit of a stumble on a leapfrog and then we go to Sid vs Scorpio. Scorpio gets clotheslined to the midsection which.. that's unique. Sid chokeslams Scorpio. Lots of fun heeling as the 3 heels who all seemingly tower over Scorpio doubleteam him at times. Scorpio gets insane hangtime on a leapfrog into a sunset flip attempt. Bagwell gets tagged in, Sid gets tagged in, a schmozz develops, Sid beats Bagwell with the Powerbomb

The Equalizer vs Ron Preston: Ron Preston is a generic looking dude in light blue tights. Equalizer gets the Kick Of Fear and a swinging neckbreaker and an axhandle to the back and he wins with a swinging full nelson.

The Fall Brawl Control Center with Chris Cruise: Since we haven't done War Games in his promotion for a year and a half, here's a primer on the rules. Also a highlights package in black and white because we can't be having blood in color in 1993. 

Charlie Norris vs Fury pf the Wrecking Crew: "Tatanka's pretty over, do we know any guys who can be our Tatanka". Of course Tatanka's from North Carolina, so in theory, they should have been a little bit more on the ball here. Lots of arm twists and drags. Eventually Norris unleashes some stereotypical offense and he wins with a doublechop. Well, yeah.

Let's go back to Wednesday where Cactus Jack is being interviewed post-Clash. The Interview rules, of course.

Johnny B. Badd vs Mike Thor: A few minutes go by. Johnny unmasks to reveal that he looks the same as he did a few months ago. Then he punches Thor for the win. Postmatch promo where Johnny mentions having the best song on the Slam Jam album

Ice Train vs Rage of the Wrecking Crew: Train is with Thunderbolt Patterson. Three weeks ago, we saw Ice Train's indy farewell. Ice Train wins quick with a powerslam. Postmatch interview with Thunderbolt and Ice Train.

Vader vs JD Stryker: Vader is wrecking shit on his way to the ring. Stryker charges Vader because he's apparently an idiot. Chokeslam. Two punches in the corner. Powerbomb. That's it. Vader and Harley postmatch promo.

Ric Flair vs Sting: This being a slight rarity in this matchup, a face vs face Sting/Flair match. Jesse criticizing Sting's aggression level early. Sting working on Flair's back a little. Eventually you get the hint that Flair is gonna be a little more heelish because duh after his puts his foot on the rope in a pin attempt. Flair actually hits a move off the top rope on Sting. We start to play the hits, backslide counter, Flair flipping over the top to the floor. Sting slams Flair off the top to the canvas. Things spill to the outside where Sting nosells an Irish whip into the guardrail. We get back into the ring and Flair puts Sting in the figure four which gets flipped over eventually. Sid is seen lurking around ringside and he joins Tony and Jesse on commentary. Sting reverses a figure four into a cradle for 2. Sting does his traditional no-sell of chops, press slam, bulldog. 2 count for the bulldog. More back and forth and Sting puts Flair in the figure four. Flair tries another pin with a foot on the ropes. Sting with a Superplex. Both of them get knocked to the floor. Sid pulls Sting off the apron and throws him to the floor behind the refs back and Flair wins by countout.

Gotta love how Center Stage had a guardrail directly in front of the camera with no fans ever there and that section of guardrail was essentially where all the chaos happened.

Anyways, Harlem Heat shows up to beat up on the faces too and we get a Flair/Sting interview after all this. Flair challenges Sid and Harlem Heat to face Flair/Sting.

But WCW with all the stuff swirling around about how bad things are going just drops a 40 minute Sting/Flair match on TV like nothing is amiss. Looking at Cagematch, they ran at least one Sting/Flair match in 1987, 88, 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95, 96, 99, 2000, 2001, and then a long break until 2011. With the only WCW-era breaks involving Flair being in the WWF, Sting's crow year, and a 1998 where Flair was pretty much out of the company for nearly half the year.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 12:05 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Of the various gimmicks on 1993 WCW, Charlie Norris was cited in more lawsuits than Yoshi Kwan, wasn’t he?

Yoshi Kwan had the look of “gimmick Chris Kanyon would have used as a one-off to get on TV before someone realized it was horribly offensive”

Reading the wiki on Norris, he actually grew up on a res in Minnesota so it's not too far off I guess? You'd just have to hope/assume they're ok with it. I always get that feeling when I see Eddy Thorpe in NXT now since he's leaning more and more into the native stuff.

Now Yoshi Kwan falls into the "so racist, it's uncomfortable" range for me which is bad because I'd like it to be "so absurdly racist, it's funny" range.

2 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Reading the wiki on Norris, he actually grew up on a res in Minnesota so it's not too far off I guess?

to clarify, Norris was mentioned in a WCW racism lawsuit because Greg Gagne (IIRC) was trying to instruct him on how to do stereotypical Indian wrestler shtick

seeing Norris' first WCWSN match today, I could see how a WCW suit could look at some of his offense and think "he needs my instruction on how to do this gimmick".. not saying such instruction was a good idea

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

to clarify, Norris was mentioned in a WCW racism lawsuit because Greg Gagne (IIRC) was trying to instruct him on how to do stereotypical Indian wrestler shtick

seeing Norris' first WCWSN match today, I could see how a WCW suit could look at some of his offense and think "he needs my instruction on how to do this gimmick".. not saying such instruction was a good idea

Now that takes it into "so absurdly racist it's funny" territory!

the blog summary of the Norris lawsuit

In 1994, former WCW wrestler Charlie Norris sued World Championship Wrestling for racial discrimination and breach of contract. Norris also sued WCW agent Greg Gagne individually for the same accusations. According to Norris’ lawsuit, he claims that WCW management wanted him to act more “Indian” when wrestling. When Charlie Norris refused to do stereotypical Native American actions in the ring, he claims he was fired from the company.

Furthermore, when Norris was training at WCW’s Power Plant in Atlanta, Georgia, Norris claims he was consistently harassed by Greg Gagne. Norris alleged that Gagne called him racist names and also kept on calling him “Big Chief,” despite making it known he was uncomfortable with the nickname. Norris said instead of getting valuable wrestling training, Gagne was more focused on trying to teach Norris how to do a proper Indian war dance.

WCW denied the accusations and claimed that Norris was simply trying to capitalize on recent racial discrimination lawsuits filed against the company. It appears that this case was eventually settled out of court.

just realized how wild it is that WCW had a wrestler named Charlie Norris (which is his real name) when Chuck Norris was about to heat up as a TV star in the fall of 1993. If only Greg Gagne could have showed Charlie Norris how to do karate.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

Thoughts on Wrestlepalooza 98

Axl Rotten & Ballz Mahoney asked for a title shot and got it immediately. Even though Chris Candido & Lance Storm couldn't get along, Axl & Ballz couldn't beat them. Candido actually hit his own partner with a chair and stole the pinfall for himself.

The "Georgia wrestling legends" segment gave us the hilarious sight of Junkyard Dog in an "EC F'N W" T-shirt.

Bill Alfonzo took a page out of Bobby Heenan's managerial playbook by managing both RVD and Sabu as they battled for the TV title. Fonzie managed to "call it down the middle" and the bout ended in a 30-minute draw. This was the opposite of the Sandman-Sabu match at November to Remember 97, as Sabu and RVD hit almost all of their crazy moves.

New Jack vs. Bam Bam Bigelow was the crazy style clash that we didn't know we needed. New Jack hit a guitar shot from the balcony but knocked himself out in the process. Bigelow dragged him to the ring and beat him with Greetings from Asbury Park.

Shane Douglas is the MVP for successfully defending the ECW title with a clean win over Al Snow despite having three broken bones, including a broken arm. Even though Snow didn't win the big one, he landed on his feet by teaming with Head at the next month's WWF pay-per-view.

• Like 3

Okay, so how did Jack do that shit? Did he just jump feet-first off the balcony? How did he get knocked out? Did he land face-first or something? He nailed the guitar shot though? How high was the balcony? It's just... the physics of this are bewildering to me. 

Unlike the amount of cocaine and painkillers in Jack for him to accomplish this. That, not so bewildering. It was A LOT. 

EDIT: If you can make a gif of this I'd be pleased as punch to see it.

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 8/12/2023 at 1:33 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Let me take a look as Clash Of The Champions 24 (August 18th, 1993)

i just watched this a week or two ago as well. the Flair for the Gold segment started, and i was wondering why they were doing two mystery partner angles at the same time. Then Sting and Bulldog came out, Sid & Harlem Heat came out, and the dawning realization of what this segment was started to seep in. I'm not ashamed to admit that i popped when Sting shouted out "the Shockmaster!"
the falling down is bad. the helmet popping off is bad. But the worst part is Shock just standing around waiting for Ole begin his speech. I'm sure Ole was trying to keep his composure, but it's seriously like 30+ seconds that Shock is just standing there like an idiot, waiting. In subsequent weeks, Tony Schiavone and his commentary partners just can't help themselves but to make fun of the poor guy.
and yeah, the whole look and presentation, even if the debut had been flawlessly executed, was stupid and would have bombed. 

On 8/12/2023 at 2:33 PM, Cobra Commander said:

this might be the 1993 WCW i've watched lately talking but is Jesse Ventura the best commentary partner that Tony Schiavone ever had? I wouldn't say Tony was the best commentary partner that Jesse ever had but Jesse's best WCW work was with Schiavone.

i would say yes. easily.

• Like 2

Watching the first In Your House, won't do a long review, but Bret vs Hakushi was awesome (as you may have heard in the last 28 years) and Kansas City's own Akio Sato was in prime form doing heel manager stuff in that match, Stephanie Wiand is female Todd Pettengill, and Razor Ramon officially declared Ramon to be his last name and not his first name by referring to his kayfabe mom as "Mama Ramon"

edit: the Mabel vs Adam Bomb match was better than you'd expect from a sub-2 minute match between Mabel and Adam Bomb. They also never found a good outfit for Nelson Frazier to wear while wrestling.

edit 2: Not sure it does Diesel any favors to follow up his Wrestlemania 11 Jackknife (which wasn't his fault) with a match where Kevin Nash has the second best looking powerbomb in the match. Diesel/Sid is what it is but seeing Sid's powerbomb and the Jackknife in succession really does remind you of the "Powerdrop" putdown of Nash's powerbomb

edit 3: my favorite little detail for Bret vs Hakushi? Hakushi selling a Bret clothesline with a flip like he just got hit by Nikita Koloff's Russian Sickle in 1985

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:48 AM, Technico Support said:

Damn right.  The whole match was laid out incredibly well.

Watching the six man, I called my wife over and asked her to guess Arn Anderson’s age.  She said maybe late 40s.  Loooooool my dude was 33.

On the other side arn looked pretty much the same for a good 2-3 decades 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did he just jump feet-first off the balcony?

----- Yes

How did he get knocked out?

----- He had already lost a lot of blood and was woozy. Security had to help him up to the balcony.

Did he land face-first or something?

----- Feet first and then he fell on his face.

He nailed the guitar shot though?

----- Yes

I rewatched this just for you! See the comments above.

• Thanks 1

WWF Monday Night Raw (7/24/1995)

Last night, Shawn Michaels won the Intercontinental Title

Shawn Michaels vs Jimmy Del Ray: We got Cornette and Prichard in the corner of Jimmy Del Ray. Always nice to see a matchup where 90s Shawn Michaels is the less creepy of the competitors. Jimmy Del Ray bumps around for a few minutes, takes control, misses a splash, and HBK takes over, superkicks Prichard off the apron and superkicks Del Ray to win. The Louisville Gardens looks likely smaller than I was expecting. Postmatch HBK teases getting his ass out. Our hero!

Last night, Double J lip-synced?

Bret Hart vs Hakushi, tonight!

The Smokin Gunns vs John Faulkner and Rick Stockhauser: The jobbers are in matching red and black tights. One of these guys has more facial hair than the other. Gunns win with a doubleteam move (Bart lifts the buy up and Billy jumps off the top to drive him down)

The dork who was selling stuff at In Your House 1 was still on WWF TV two months later?

Goldust is on his way to the WWF (but we don't know what this guy looks like, it could be Barry Darsow)

Fatu is making a difference by walking around shirtless in San Francisco and dancing with youths.

Waylon Mercy vs Gary Scott: Handshakes for everybody prematch. Mercy holds up the rope for the jobber so he can drop it on his back. Waylon Mercy is dressed like redneck Razor Ramon with all that white in his gear. Waylon wins with the sleeper. Even without the back injury, feels like having the sleeper as a finish in 1995 should yell "Doomed gimmick"

Todd Pettengill with the In Your House Report, informing us that Summerslam is brought to us by Stridex. So we hear about the results from the PPV last night.

King Mabel has words for Diesel. King Mabel might actually be the best Nelson Frazier wrestling look.

Hakushi vs Bret Hart: I thought the Space Flying Tiger Drop spot was at IYH but it wasn't, so that's a reason why i'm watching this episode of Raw. Hakushi still has Bret Hart's head in a bag. Next week on RAW, Razor Ramon and Savio Vega take on Owen Hart and Yokozuna. Jerry Lawler mispronounces Hideo while doing a topical reference to Hideo Nomo. Hakushi will be fined for using the railing? what? is Bill Watts working for the WWF this early? Shinja is the closest thing to having the masked lover from "Self Control" by Laura Branigan working as a manager in the WWF. Isaac Yankem mention on commentary. Bret Hart is in trouble as we go to a commercial break. Bret remains in trouble out of the break as Hakushi hits the springboard elbow and his running crotch attack. Hakushi does the same counter into a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker as he did at IYH. The old man in the front row is unfazed by Hakushi hitting the diving headbutt into Bret's back. Bret is on the floor before and after the break and Hakushi hits the MFing Space Flying Tiger Drop on him coming out of the break. Aw yes! That was a cool thing to unleash on thousands of unsuspecting Kentuckians. Bret Hart springs off of the ropes to the floor with a splash, the closest thing to a Bret Hart dive? Diving elbow, Shinja gets punched, Bulldog, Small Package, Hakushi takes control and misses a diving headbutt. Bret Hart superplex leads into the Sharpshooter and Hakushi gives up. Since we're in USWA country, Bret Hart piledrives Shinja postmatch. This was as good as In Your House, without any awkward earliness that the IYH match had. On the other hand, no commercial breaks at In Your House. Meanwhile Pierre steals the bag with Bret Hart's severed head. Nice to see somebody picking up trash around here. 

Let's go to Dean Douglas talking in a class room. Shane Douglas made a questionable move by revealing to Vince that he had a non-wrestling profession. He looks so much like a Troy in this gimmick. He drives us the definitions of Knowledge. This classroom looks like a community college classroom as Dean Douglas lectures 31 year olds trying to get a JC degree to get a new job after the factory shut down. Dean Douglas looks like if Mr. Perfect and The Genius had a boring child.

Next week: King Mabel and the Bodydonnas and Bam Bam in action. They have boxes of Stridex at the table. Let's close this out with Vince interviewing Shawn in a splitscreen. Jerry Lawler has words. Sid wants to face Shawn for the IC title.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Heat Wave 98

Before watching the other 16 ECW PPVs, I'm calling this the best in company history. Just like WrestleMania X-7 and Spring Stampede 94, the show was set up perfectly. The wrestlers wrestled, the fliers flew, and the brawlers brawled. It was perfect. Even the match that got canceled (New Jack vs. Jack Victory) worked out because they joined the battle after the main event.

The first two matches (Lynn-Credible and Storm-Candido) played out the same way: The babyface looked great but the heel's entourage interfered to set up the heel winning with his finisher off the ropes.

After destroying the ring in their first match, Tazz and Bam Bam Bigelow wrecked the ramp in this one. Tazz crawled out of the hole and beat Bammer with the Tazmission. After the match, Taz challenged Shane Douglas, the injured ECW champ who was on commentary. The Franchise angrily tossed his monitor off the balcony. NOOOOOO! We don't have that kind of budget!

The Dudleys had broken Beulah's neck and put her out of wrestling. Tommy Dreamer called out her name and DDT'd Buh-Buh Ray on a ladder to win the six-man main event and the MVP award.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2

I think Guerrilla Monsoon is the one who noted this, but maaaaan did Vince just do an abrupt switch on all the stuff he'd been building for SummerSlam. I mean "abrupt" as in "in mid-July."

It's looking like we're getting:

• Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (Intercontinental Championship match)
  • The Natural Disasters vs. Money Inc. (Tag Championship match)
  • The Beverly Brothers vs. The Road Warriors
  • Nasty Boys vs. High Energy
  • Rick Martel vs. Tatanka
  • British Bulldog vs. Repo Man
  • The Mountie vs. Sgt. Slaughter
  • The Undertaker vs. The Berzerker
  • Ultimate Warrior vs. Papa Shango
  • Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair (WWF World Championship match)

Once we hit mid-July, Vince does a quick tag title switch, but then also flip-flops the feud partners rather than running a Disasters/Money Inc. rematch. Shawn Michaels involves himself in a Bret/Martel match to switch HBK into a short-term feud with Martel and to free up Bulldog for Bret. 

We end up getting:

• The Natural Disasters vs. The Beverly Brothers (Tag Championship match)
  • Money Inc. vs. The Road Warriors
  • Rick Martel vs. Shawn Michaels
  • Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog
  • Crush vs. Repo Man
  • The Undertaker vs. Kamala
  • Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior (WWF World Championship match)
  • Nailz vs. Virgil

Watching those '92 Superstars shows, the switch-up is so abrupt, it's crazy. Obviously, running Bret/Bulldog was the right call, and Bret/Bulldog + Disasters/Beverlys were both very good, but the TV feels utterly disjointed in the run-up to the show because it drops months of build in a hot second. 

This card also doesn't have Flair wrestling on it; it's an odd bit of trivia (to me) that Flair didn't wrestle a SummerSlam match until 2002 (against Chris Jericho). You can see the utter dearth of upper card babyfaces in this company. Was Hogan shooting a movie or something? The obvious move is to give him a bunch of money to finally have that singles match with Ric Flair at this show. 

Even though running Bret/Bulldog necessitates changes to Martel/Tatanka, Repo/Bulldog, and  Bret/HBK. I'm not sure why it was also necessary to switch Berzerker out for Kamala against the Undertaker or to suddenly flip-flop the tag teams in the Beverlys/Road Warriors/Disasters/Money Inc. feuds. You could just run a rematch for the tag titles and blow off this dumb "sissy" shit between the Road Warriors and the Beverlys. The matches that we got ended up being aesthetically superior, I'll say that. 

If the idea was that the Beverlys were going to lose to the Road Warriors and would be insufficient dance partners for the Disasters as their next title feud, just having lost a feud to the Road Warriors, the Nasty Boys can slot into that role as title challengers until October, when Money Inc. gets the gold back...which is what they did anyway, IIRC. Anyway, I have no clue why they blew up the tag match pairings except that Vince wanted matches that were as good as possible. Which, hey, I like that too, but book in that direction in the first place, maybe. 

Anyway, I would have run this card:

• Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog (Intercontinental Championship match)
  • The Natural Disasters vs. Money Inc. (Tag Championship match)
  • The Beverly Brothers vs. The Road Warriors
  • Rick Martel vs. Shawn Michaels
  • Tatanka vs. The Mountie
  • The Undertaker vs. The Berzerker
  • Ultimate Warrior vs. Papa Shango [ed. note: This would have stunk, but a) it was set up for months, and b) maybe with enough stupid gaga, it's a fun sort of stink]
  • Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair (WWF World Championship match)

I'm sure there's something that I don't know about the booking of this thing that someone will tell me necessitated the weird card changes, though. 

On another note, it's too bad we didn't get the Steiners and Quebecers into the company quickly enough to run those teams vs. the Natural Disasters. We only got Beverly Brothers/Steiners. 

• Like 2

After Beach Blast 92 (oh shit, the Summer between senior year and college for this old dude) I guess I’m on a Watts WCW kick.  Just started Clash #19, featuring a tournament for the NWA tag belts??  OK

Dean and Joe Malenko representing EUROPE~!  They’d have faired better with their cousin, master of the ancient art of necromancy and beguiler of spells, hexes, and curses The Great Milenko, with them but alas, he was busy with The Dark Carnival at the time.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

As the only person on this board, or maybe on Earth itself, who loves the Doc/Gordy vs. Steiners series, I hope that you join me as the second person to love that feud. I don't expect it, but I hold out hope. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 12:24 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Since we're in USWA country, Bret Hart piledrives Shinja postmatch

upon looking around, that piledriver apparently ended Shinja (the closest the piledriver came to being a move of death in the WWF?) as Hakushi was being pulled towards the Barry Horowitz universe and a face turn

Thoughts on November to Remember 98

New Jack repaid Jack Victory for attacking him before the last PPV by doing the same thing. Unlike Victory, New Jack was arrested.

Terry Funk angrily confronted Tommy Dreamer for not choosing him as a mystery partner. Later, he apologized to Joey Styles, and said he was leaving ECW and the sport forever.

Balls Mahoney and Masato Tanaka gained revenge for injuries caused by the Dudleys by upsetting them for the ECW tag team title.

Forever only lasted 45 minutes, as Funk came out of retirement for a record-breaking 75th time. Dreamer and Jake Roberts beat Justin Credible and Jack Victory. After the match, Funk attacked Dreamer, who refused to fight back. 

Worst fan sign: Hipke Sisters Still Sleep Together (held up during the main event) --- Just watch the match!

Teamwork is vastly overrated, as the Triple Threat, bonded by years of friendship, lost to the New Triple Threat (RVD-Sabu-Taz), who hated each other. Sabu stole the pin and the MVP award by hitting Douglas and his partner, Taz, with the Arabian facebuster. After the match, Sabu and Taz were at each others' throats, just as they were at Barely Legal.

• Like 1