DVDVR Message Board

October 2013 NHL Thread

Death From Above

I am seriously getting worried that somehow they will trade for my favourite goaltender in the wholllllllllle world, Ryan Miller. I don't even know how I'll react to that.

Also it's looking a lot like Labarbera is getting back to back starts against Washington and PIttsburgh.

I just don't know.

EDIT: In unrelated news Patrick Kaleta has got himself suspended 10 games this time. Get that fool out of the league already. There are a ton of other guys Buffalo could fill that spot with.

I don't understand the Miller rumor because doesn't he have a NTC? I remember some drama two years ago when there were rumors he would be dealt and he nixed it. Could be remembering wrong though. Can't see him having that power and waiving it for Edmonton of all places...

Fuck Kaleta. 10 games will teach him nothing. He'll probably appeal and get it cut in half anyways.

I'm not sure if Miller has a NTC, but this is the last year on his contract (same with Vanek) and the prevailing thought is that both will be dealt while Buffalo can get something for them, since neither will want to stick around for the rebuild.

W00T! Leafs improve to 6-1. Raymond nets 2. Bolland plays great again. David Clarkson may not be needed at this rate.

Best thing about the Leafs winning is how crazy it's driving the advanced stats freaks since the Leafs are getting outshot in every game & have terrible puck possession.

Just got back from my first game of the season. They fucking lost, but it was an entertaining game nonetheless. Both are skating teams, so it was up and down all game, with no bogging in the neutral zone. Some notes:

1) MOTHERFUCKING TROUBA. Best player on the ice for the Jets by far. A couple mental mistakes (not tying up his guys stick on the first goal), but he is such a smooth skater and so good carrying the puck. He had two really nice rushes from his own end. The first one was especially impressive, as he fucked up with the puck at the Montreal blue line, had to double back to his own zone, and then deked around every Canadien to get a shot on net. It was like he figured he had to make up for his mistake right there.

2) Schiefele is clumsy as fuck, but looks more natural with the puck than any other Jets forward (damning with faint praise, I know). So much skill, but Jets fans are going to have to come up with their own Hartnell Down alternative. Schiefele Slips?

3) The Jets were undone by the first 10 minutes. They got caught in their own end in the first 2 minutes, leading to the first goal. Then did a shit job killing a penalty which led to a goal after it expired. They had their chances tho, but Price's glove hand is ridiculous. Subban's shot is pretty impressive in person too. It doesn't even look like he's exerting energy and then it's in the net.

4) Lots of Habs fans, as per usual when they come to town. Not as bad as when the old Jets were around and half the crowd was behind Montreal or Toronto. It is ridiculous seeing a bunch of white people doing the Ole chant and thinking that Montreal came up with it.

5) In the immortal words of my father, they still need to beat the Thrashers out of the Jets. The core of the team is still from Atlanta and for at least 10 minutes every game they still play like it.

6) My dad hates Paul Postma. Like totally hates him. I've never heard him complain about a player more and we've been going to games since I was a kid. If there's anything my dad loves doing is yell at Winnipeg Jets and Postma took a tonne of abuse tonight. He is pretty bad at the whole being a defenseman thing. This is the first game I've been able to go with my dad since the Jets came back, so that was pretty awesome. It's been awhile since I've heard him yell "Goddammit ________! Skate!"

7) Max Pacioretty did something serious to his knee. It looked really bad, he was on the ice for quite awhile and then needed two people to help him off.

8) Brendan Gallagher is an irritating little shit. Tiny as fuck too, Briere looks like a grown up person next to him.

9) I don't know who Ref 34 is, but he really does not like Evander Kane. The two of them were jawing back and forth all game and he gave Kane two chintzy hooking calls, the second of which was a total phantom call.

Anyway, that's my notes from the road.

Had a super fun night @ Consol last night. Loved the arena and concessions, and the sightlines were great. And the Pens won, although the Oilers actually put up a pretty good fight. Oh, and we all got free Big Macs thanks to Chris Kunitz. So gooodtimes all around.

I

Looks like the Sabres are already stupidly close to giving up on Gregorenko. His ice time keeps getting cut back (when he's not sitting), and now they have him centering between John Scott & Cody McCormick. Ouch.