DVDVR Message Board

UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo II (12/2/2017) - Detroit, MI (Little Caesars Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Why did Herb just threaten to deduct a point from Teymur for not being an idiot?

For a guy that seems to be complaining about not getting the amount of rumble he wants, Klose is not exactly taking the fight to Teymur.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For those who want to know what happened during the station censor

Cortney Casey thought she won that fight, but that eye that was nearly swollen shut told a different story.

I should say, and it isn't said often enough on message boards and social media, officiating any sport is super difficult, but doubly so in MMA. It has an awful lot of subjectivity to it and human beings' health and safety is on the line. But, yeah, Herb is *Joe Namath mode* struggle-ing */Joe Namath mode*.

The head movement and ability to stay out of an out and out brawl with Gaethje was the difference. Those leg kicks were disgusting but Eddie showed a lot of heart to persevere. Some of the body shots Gaethje took were unreal. That guy has to be one of the toughest fighters that isn't just a can.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That was a fucking disgusting beating. I rarely feel bad for fighters, but man, I was yelling for Herb to stop the fight.

DQoae.gif

Aldo went out like a bull, throwing everything he had into his looping, sloppy hooks and Max just beat him to the punch with crisp combinations of jabs and straights. A masterclass. Does Aldo retire? He's a shell of his former self and was just outclassed by the champ, who now holds two victories of Jose. Maybe an extended hiatus?

Show as a whole was really good though the Cejudo fight kind of put a damper on it. It's a weird feeling knowing that Alvarez and Gaethje delivered an awesome fight but it wasn't even the best of the night. Featherweight isn't really interesting now and I could see Holloway holding the title for a significant stretch. I need Ngannou vs. Miocic in my life, so hopefully that fight is scheduled for early 2018. I'd like to see an Alvarez/Poirier rematch or Eddie vs. Nate Diaz.

• Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

Aldo went out like a bull, throwing everything he had into his looping, sloppy hooks and Max just beat him to the punch with crisp combinations of jabs and straights. A masterclass.

Show as a whole was really good though the Cejudo fight kind of put a damper on it. It's a weird feeling knowing that Alvarez and Gaethje delivered an awesome fight but it wasn't even the best of the night. Featherweight isn't really interesting now and I could see Holloway holding the title for a significant stretch. I need Ngannou vs. Miocic in my life, so hopefully that fight is scheduled for early 2018. I'd like to see an Alvarez/Poirier rematch or Eddie vs. Nate Diaz. 

For me I think is featherweight is still plenty interesting because Frankie Edgar presents an intriguing style for Holloway. Edgar is the first high level wrestler Max has faced since who? Bermudez? That was his last non McGregor loss. I don't Frankie being interested in having a straight up boxing match like Max has had since he has been on this streak. I think Frankie is still good enough to get those takedowns and have good ground control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Timmmmmberrrr!

All I can think of when I saw that knockout was that great GIF that someone made of Fedor punching that Rogers guy in Strikeforce and made it look like his head flew off his body and got squished by the cage.   Stipe might still be a better all around fighter but man Francis is incredibly dangerous

If there is anyone that could shut Conor up in the MMA world, Max could be the guy right now.   Dana probably wants the fight, Max definitely wants the fight.  McGregor I am not so sure about that.    .   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For me I think is featherweight is still plenty interesting because Frankie Edgar presents an intriguing style for Holloway. Edgar is the first high level wrestler Max has faced since who? Bermudez? That was his last non McGregor loss. I don't Frankie being interested in having a straight up boxing match like Max has had since he has been on this streak. I think Frankie is still good enough to get those takedowns and have good ground control.

Lamas is no slouch and went 0 for 6 for his takedowns on Holloway. I see Holloway as a newer, better version of Frankie Edgar at least in terms of footwork, defense, and boxing. Obviously, he's not the wrestler, at least offensively, that Edgar is. Could be a good one but I'd put Max down as a significant favourite.