DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

• 2 weeks later...

It’s subscriber week at Vinegar Syndrome. Here’s what they’ve said about the 2024 release schedule:

January 2024:
3 releases totaling $182.94 (MSRP)
Including: THE HORRIBLE DR. HICHCOCK (UHD/BD combo), FORGOTTEN GIALLI Vol. 6 (feat. DEATH CARRIES A CANE, THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW, NAKED YOU DIE), and SANTET 1 & 2

February 2024:
3 releases $159.94 (MSRP)
Including: PHASE IV (UHD/BD combo), Never-on-blu early 60s Italian horror, 3-film Spanish Giallo Set

March 2024:
3 releases totaling $147.94 (MSRP)
Including: UHD debut of an acclaimed 60s horror anthology, SINGAPORE SLING on BD (exclusively restored by VS), Never-on-Disc 80s Italian Horror double feature

April 2024:
3 releases totaling $142.94 (MSRP)
Including: Never on disc slasher, UHD (and English friendly BD) debut of 80s Italian horror, 80s Hong Kong Action

May 2024:
4 releases totaling $259.92 (MSRP)
Including: 80s Hong Kong Action UHD double feature, Home Grown Horror Vol. 3 featuring HAUNTEDWEEN and two other regional rarities, plus two secret surprise UHDs!

June 2024:
No releases planned

July 2024:
3 releases totaling $159.94 (MSRP)
Including: INTRÉPIDOS PUNKS/LA VENGANZA DE LOS PUNKS BD double feature, plus two other horror and action releases.

August 2024:
3 releases totaling $142.94 (MSRP)
Including: 70s Drive-In horror classic on UHD, sleazy Hong Kong Cat 3 film, wild Paramount eurosleaze rarity

September 2024:
3 releases totaling $164.94 (MSRP)
Including: 80s horror classic on UHD, Giallo classic on UHD, grimy Mexican horror

October 2024:
4 releases totaling $244.92 (MSRP)
Including: 70s "horror" masterpiece on UHD, Forgotten Gialli (late 80s edition), never-on-disc slasher, CORPSE MANIA (UHD/BD Combo)

November 2024:
4 releases totaling $244.92 (MSRP)
Including: A horror box set and an epic UHD/BD debut, plus two Secret Surprise titles

December 2024: - 1869.34
No releases planned

• Like 1

Subscribing to Vinegar Syndrome is well worth it, if you can do the upfront. I save up each year for it. I get 75 dollars off for resubscribing. Oh, and the subscription counts towards their Club points, so not only do I instantly have somewhere between 25-30 dollars in rewards that I can use on anything, it moves me into that tier where I earn 1.5x on any other purchases through out the year. And because subscribers already get the discounted price all year long, sometimes we'll get a little special discount or coupon during big sales.

It's the best, and it blows my mind that they just seem to keep growing every year.

• Like 3

I'm more prone to sub now that they've split their hardcore stuff from the mainstream stuff.  I can't do it this year, but might consider it for next.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:48 AM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've decided to put a bit out of each check aside this year to subscribe this coming Black Friday. I've put it off too long. 

Just fyi, they don’t do subscriptions on Black Friday anymore. It’s during the first week of the year only.

Someone on Reddit explained their strategy as buying $100 gift card (or credit) from the website every month and then using that at the start of the year to pay for a membership. That’s one way of budgeting!

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Control said:

Just fyi, they don’t do subscriptions on Black Friday anymore. It’s during the first week of the year only.

Someone on Reddit explained their strategy as buying $100 gift card (or credit) from the website every month and then using that at the start of the year to pay for a membership. That’s one way of budgeting!

Thanks for the heads up! Shows how little I have paid attention to things. Still, not a bad time to offer the subscription.

The Guardian did an interview with him last week. He's a really down-to-earth, cool guy. In fact his personality kinda comes off like his character of the detective in American Psycho, of all things. Not to say he's naive or anything, in fact quite the opposite, but more like just a happy kinda guy. 

EDIT: Just watched the Closet Picks. That comment about Last Temptation with him grinning his ass off cracked me up so hard 😆

Edited by Curt McGirt

Yeah that Defoe one is an all timer closet pick. Him talking about trying to remake Onibaba, but not being able to get it right blew my mind.

Dan Levy did one recently that I really enjoyed too, where he told a story about recommending The Piano Teacher to families at the Video Store, not because he'd seen it but because it sounded like an important movie.

• Like 2

Criterion also still does Top 10 lists on their website, where they have an even more eclectic group of people writing about their favorite Criterions. From Jeopardy's Ken Jennings to Kelly Reichardt, from the band Mogwai to Christopher Nolan. https://www.criterion.com/current/category/8-top-10-lists

And, after you exhaust all that, Konbini does a similar video series, where they take filmmakers and actors into seemingly the last video store in Paris.

• Like 1

You have to love the Criterion channel where you get obscure art films and also things like "cat month" where they show That Darn Cat. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

I feel bad; for one thing I've seen very, very few films on these people's lists (like, any Cassavetes for example), and for that matter I mostly only recognize the actors out of all the people they've asked. 😳 Still, these are good reads. I'll check the Brad Pitt thing in a little while.

EDIT: Okay, the further down the list I go the more interesting it is. Richard Hell? Bret Easton Ellis? DICK CAVETT?! Yeah, much more interesting than directors I'm not familiar with.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Watched the Pitt Movie Club. He comes off like Cliff Booth in Once Upon a Time... in real life. Tarantino knows how to pick 'em. 

Now I see that there is a goddamn Cronenberg one and a goddamn Nathan Lane one and I am gonna have to carve like an hour plus out just to start watching these things.