DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

2 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

I had Guardians at number one on the box office and Baby Driver at number one on RT. Not even top 5. This is turning into Jordan coming out of retirement....the Wiz years.

What is hurting you most is that you had All Eyez too high on your RT list and Pirates too low on your RT list.  And both those things are kind of messed up, because you put All Eyez lower on the RT than anyone else, but it's still too high - and Pirates did get a terrible RT rating of 29%, but that's still better than a substantial number of movies this year.

I usually overdo it with research with this game but this time I winged it more than usually to get Guardians in. Dont have any excuses for All Eyez. I thought the trailer wasnt good at all, but I still put it inbetween because I thought it might get the NWA bio love. Pirates' 29 percent being almost a moderate RT grade says a lot.

12 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

I usually overdo it with research with this game but this time I winged it more than usually to get Guardians in. Dont have any excuses for All Eyez. I thought the trailer wasnt good at all, but I still put it inbetween because I thought it might get the NWA bio love. Pirates' 29 percent being almost a moderate RT grade says a lot.

How does a film that came out two years ago almost play into the critical judgment of a totally unrelated film? It doesn't roll over.

Plus, one film was directed by F. Gary Gray and the other was directed by a man whose only two films were a straight to DVD sequel of SWAT and Next Day Air.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

How does a film that came out two years ago almost play into the critical judgment of a totally unrelated film? It doesn't roll over.

Plus, one film was directed by F. Gary Gray and the other was directed by a man whose only two films were a straight to DVD sequel of SWAT and Next Day Air.

Eh.  I was wrong about the critics, especially since the creative teams were clearly different; again didn't research the background beyond the movie trailer this time.  I don't agree with your "totally unrelated" films claim.  I should have applied my thoughts between the two toward the opening weekend box office returns, not the critical response.  Both films opened well (All Eyez on Me has died since its opening weekend) and I'm sure there was a good amount of audience intersect between the two films.

33 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

since the creative teams were clearly different; again didn't research the background beyond the movie trailer this time.

Uh....

I don't agree with your "totally unrelated" films claim. .

First, the different creative teams makes it totally unrelated. If Dunkirk is successful, that doesn't mean every WWII film after that is going to be successful. Chris Nolan  likely has nothing to do with those films. The common theme is just World War II just like west coast rap is the theme for both films.

Second, I wouldn't say I didn't research beyond the trailer and then say I disagree with someone who has clearly researched this more than myself. That makes no sense at all. Moreover, the fact that the business fell so hard in the second week should tell all you need to know about this film. They tried to do the bait and switch with a high level Lifetime biopic and galvanize people like Straight Outta Compton, and there was absolutely no comparison in quality. Shit, Surviving Compton (which was about as truthful as All Eyez on Me) actually had more to do with Straight Outta Compton than this film. How many shitty films every year try to piggyback off a predecessor that it is loosely connected to? That doesn't mean it's going to get the same critical acclaim. Rarely does it ever amount to that.

Moreover, I want to thank the fellas in the contest that believed BENNY BOOM was going to direct one of the summer's best films and believing that all black films fall into the same category. You helped me out a lot with your lack of insight.

You're talking about the creative side again, which I already acknowledge was a mistake to apply to the critical response.  Quality definitely changes with different director/creative teams behind each film.  I agree. Nothing new there.

Notorious, Straight Outta Compton, and All Eyez on Me are going to be linked though; at least box office wise.  I don't even have to Google one Deadline article to know it's opening box office was somehow related back to Straight Outta Compton.  It'll be the same when Spider-Man: Homecoming is release and it's compared to a totally unrelated superhero movie opening.  Hollywood puts genres in box office trends.

Most people didn't even put All Eyez on Me on their list so....yeah. 

5 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Notorious, Straight Outta Compton, and All Eyez on Me are going to be linked though. 

Yes because people are stupid and in this contest, it's not going to help you.

8 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

You're talking about the creative side again

All sides because Straight Outta Compton was going to be sustained the box office and this film was going to die a miserable death once people realized it is just a bad musical biopic made by a music video director and the marketing was pretty all over the place to begin with.

12 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Most people didn't even put All Eyez on Me on their list so....yeah. 

But you did, and that's all I care about. ;)

I put it high up on my RT list because I had heard that some of the performances were good and I figured if they delved enough into the complexities of Tupac it'd be enough to receive passable reviews from film critics who probably aren't as familiar with all things Pac as I am.  I never for one second thought the movie would be great.  It ended up being the worst case scenario. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I put it high up on my RT list because I had heard that some of the performances were good and I figured if they delved enough into the complexities of Tupac it'd be enough to receive passable reviews from film critics who probably aren't as familiar with all things Pac as I am.  I never for one second thought the movie would be great.  It ended up being the worst case scenario. 

This film was in trouble as soon as L.T. Hutton and Benny Boom went on a crusade to try to get people to believe their vision of Tupac Shakur was the ONLY true vision of him and that it was going to be in Tupac's voice. Hutton's IG posts (along with the interviews he did solo and with Boom) seem downright maniacal and crazed like two people heavily invested in making some fanfiction.

I always feel compelled to support to black films (even the ones I vehemently don't feel personally), but goddamn, if this stuff in the lead up and during the release made me not want to go see it. They just come off as assholes. I would probably have went today (July 4th) to go see it, but they pulled all the day showings and only got 10 p.m. showings around here. The streets is too hot as a black man to be walking around in the middle of Arkansas after midnight with a bunch of drunk white people out coming back from a fireworks show. I think eight or nine is my cutoff on just walking around doing shit.

Anyway, there were just too many red flags all around (Boom not being a good director, the troubled production, not consulting people actually involved in Tupac's story, having a novice actor to play Pac, the lawsuits, Hutton being sort of a basket case, bland marketing, etc.) to believe this film was going to do well critically or commercially. I wanted it to be successful, but the foundation was way too unstable for it to be successful.

This is reminding me a lot like the 2015 poll

A really strong top of the RT list. A really really bad bottom of the RT list

A movie about a rapper(s) fucking people over

I don't think I even put All Eyez On Me in the top 5 on my RT list but just as SKos said, it was still too high and not enough people put it on their list for me to get any benefit from it.   It could be worse.  At least no one compared it to Get Out on the movie sites. 

I think I put Baby Driver at the bottom of my box office list....and I just came back from seeing it.  I'm working backwards yall.  Fun movie.

• Like 1

TBH I put in about 15-20 minutes of research compared to the whole 90 minutes I spent last year. Not overthinking it seems to be working for me much better. 

16 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

I don't think I even put All Eyez On Me in the top 5 on my RT list but just as SKos said, it was still too high and not enough people put it on their list for me to get any benefit from it.   It could be worse.  At least no one compared it to Get Out on the movie sites. 

I think I put Baby Driver at the bottom of my box office list....and I just came back from seeing it.  I'm working backwards yall.  Fun movie.

I saw Baby Driver yesterday and it was really good.

I hate my ballots.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

4 [ 2] J.T. - 16 points (6/10, tiebreak n/a)

Fuck.

18 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Looks like CSC will be knocked out of the top spot with today's update.

As long as I don't sink further into Xanadu territory, I will be okay.

5 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Looks like CSC will be knocked out of the top spot with today's update.

It was inevitable with my awful All Eyez on Me placement. 

57 minutes ago, CSC said:

It was inevitable with my awful All Eyez on Me placement. 

If someone told me in 2001 that the guy who directed the Oochie Wally music video would direct the second best movie of the summer fifteen years later, I would tell you to lay off the heroin and get some help immediately.

UPDATE 9 OF 17 - through July 6

Standings

1 [ 2] Elsalvajeloco - 18 points (4/14, tiebreak 0.108)
2 [ 1] CSC - 18 points (4/14, tiebreak 0.366)
3 [ 4] J.T. - 22 points (12/10, tiebreak n/a)
4 [ 7] Rippa - 24 points (12/12, tiebreak 0.132)
5 [ 9] _MJ_ - 26 points (12/14, tiebreak 0.332)
6 [ 8] The Z - 26 points (16/10, tiebreak 0.405)
7 [ 6] The Erotic Terrorist - 26 points (12/14, tiebreak n/a)
8 [ 3] Paco - 28 points (14/14, tiebreak 0.157)
9 [ 10] The Natural - 28 points (20/8, tiebreak n/a)
10 [ 5] The Unholy Dragon - 28 points (14/14, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 12] Niners Fan in CT - 32 points (10/22, tiebreak 1.113)
12 [ 19] Lacelle - 32 points (8/24, tiebreak n/a)
13 [ 11] S.K.o.S. - 34 points (16/18, tiebreak 0.318)
14 [ 13] King Leonidas of Sparta - 34 points (20/14, tiebreak n/a)
15 [ 16] DreamBroken - 36 points (16/20, tiebreak 0.105)
16 [ 20] caley - 36 points (18/18, tiebreak 0.215)
17 [ 18] Sublime - 36 points (16/20, tiebreak 0.365)
18 [ 24] Ace - 38 points (22/16, tiebreak 0.041)
19 [ 14] hobo joe - 38 points (14/24, tiebreak 0.181)
20 [ 15] Hail Sabin - 40 points (22/18, tiebreak 0.041)
21 [- 21] JRGoldman - 40 points (18/22, tiebreak 0.098)
22 [ 17] ivpvideos - 40 points (14/26, tiebreak 0.126)
23 [ 22] Phantom Lord - 40 points (14/26, tiebreak 0.259)
24 [ 23] RossWB - 40 points (20/20, tiebreak n/a)
25 [- 25] Kuetsar - 44 points (20/24, tiebreak 0.735)
26 [- 26] SorceressKnight - 58 points (22/36, tiebreak 0.193)

Box office

1 [- 1] Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $345,741,332 (28 days)
2 [- 2] Wonder Woman - $330,529,475 (28 days)
3 [- 3] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - $154,765,326 (28 days)
4 [- 4] Cars 3 - $128,097,412 (21 days)
5 [NEW] Despicable Me 3 - $115,190,660 (7 days)
6 [ 5] Transformers: The Last Knight - $112,616,660 (16 days)
7 [- 7] The Mummy - $76,810,270 (28 days)
8 [ 6] Alien: Covenant - $72,185,985 (28 days)
9 [ 8] Captain Underpants - $68,145,793 (28 days)
10 [ 9] Baywatch - $55,732,692 (28 days)
11 [ 12] Baby Driver - $44,133,072 (9 days)
12 [ 10] All Eyez - $43,710,039 (21 days)
13 [ 11] King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $37,760,563 (28 days)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 [- 1] Baby Driver - 203/210 = 97% (9 days)
2 [- 2] Wonder Woman - 285/310 = 92% (28 days)
3 [- 3] Captain Underpants - 61/72 = 85% (28 days)
4 [- 4] Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 238/293 = 81% (28 days)
5 [- 5] Alien: Covenant - 202/286 = 71% (28 days)
6 [- 6] Cars 3 - 96/142 = 68% (21 days)
7 [NEW] Despicable Me 3 - 84/137 = 61% (7 days)
8 [ 7] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 60/209 = 29% (28 days)
9 [ 8] King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 57/200 = 29% (28 days)
10 [ 9] Baywatch - 34/178 = 19% (28 days)
11 [ 10] All Eyez On Me - 11/66 = 17% (21 days)
12 [ 11] The Mummy - 35/230 = 15% (28 days)
13 [ 12] Transformers: The Last Knight - 26/171 = 15% (16 days)