DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Well, that RT rating for Wonder Woman is encouraging for my weekend plans but not for my ballot.

The review embargo is still up for Captain Underpants.   I think the reviews will be mixed and I think I made the right call on its placement.

• Like 1

I left Wonder Woman off my RT list, mainly because I got burned so badly by Suicide Squad last year.  Outlook still positive.  Hoping that Captain Underpants will soil said underpants.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I left Wonder Woman off my RT list, mainly because I got burned so badly by Suicide Squad last year.  Outlook still positive.  Hoping that Captain Underpants will soil said underpants.

Yeah, hopefully my inevitable plummet from the Top 10 will not be too painful.  It is definitely looking like I did not place it nearly as high enough on either my RT or BO list as I should have.

I expected WW be a good movie and do well financially, but I did not anticipate it becoming the new standard bearer for the DCU and potentially make tons of money..

Honestly - I am just hoping being right about WW cancels out being wrong on Baywatch and then I can let the rest of my movies determine my placement

Neither of Wonder Woman's negative reviews are from to critics and one of them is from a critic who hates all superhero/comic book movies and the other is from the Guardian who pretty much doesn't like it because "it has too many men in it"

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Neither of Wonder Woman's negative reviews are from to critics and one of them is from a critic who hates all superhero/comic book movies and the other is from the Guardian who pretty much doesn't like it because "it has too many men in it"

I am sure that someone at National Review will find the movie to be a Feminist crypto fascist metaphor and pan it despite the antagonists being Nazis.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:31 AM, J.T. said:

Wonder Woman being under a review embargo makes me think that reviews will be mixed.

And now we all know that if I ever manifest a mutant power or preternatural ability, it will not be precognition.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Wrong World War.

And now we know that either early onset dementia or age aggravated ADD is the reason I don't develop precognitive powers.

I will now go and get some cranberry juice that I can take with my Omega-3 capsules.

• Like 1

I think review embargos in general are a pretty normal thing, but review embargos that last right up until the day a movie is released or a total lack of early screenings for critics suggest a bad movie.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I think review embargos in general are a pretty normal thing, but review embargos that last right up until the day a movie is released or a total lack of early screenings for critics suggest a bad movie.

This would appear to be the case.  

The lifting of the embargo so early is obviously a good sign for WW's box office receipts this coming weekend.

I initially thought it was a bad idea not to schedule this movie over the long Memorial Day weekend as WW would've crushed PoTC dometically, but the relative international success the PoTC movie had coupled with the shitty weather and holiday travel that kept people out of theaters this weekends makes the June opening call an excellent decision.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

LA Times says industry tracking for Wonder Woman is an opening weekend between $80M-90M but I could see it going higher than that 

I've seen as high as 110 (which is what I posted from The Wrap article) or a little over that at 111. Either way, that 65 million Hollywood Reporter number couldn't have been more off.

16 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

LA Times says industry tracking for Wonder Woman is an opening weekend between $80M-90M but I could see it going higher than that 

If that's the case, then this pool will probably hinge on how high you had Wonder Woman or Spider Man: Homecoming on your BO and RT ballots.

WW is poised to destroy all competition for the foreseeable future and the only movie with high BO / positive review potential coming out is arguably Homecoming.

None of the other movies in the pool IMO feel like the critically acclaimed sleeper blockbuster that Guardians of the Galaxy was.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

WW has passed 100 reviews and has "dropped" to 93% opening the door to have something snatch the top slot

Baby Driver is still 100% but only 23 reviews. That could easily fall on either side depending on the number of reviews.

I think Dunkirk might have a decent shot. I have a feeling Homecoming might get some stellar reviews, but I'm not that confident. I don't think Atomic Blonde gets enough positive reviews to bring it up to the mid 90s. 

Considering the current crop left, Wonder Woman has a very solid shot at finishing at the top. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

WW has passed 100 reviews and has "dropped" to 93% opening the door to have something snatch the top slot

I can't say that doesn't make me a little happy.  I need WW to not totally leapfrog over Dunkirk or Spider Man - Homecoming in RT.  It's bad enough that the money it will earn over time will kill the top tier my BO ballot.

Some of those negative reviews will be bullshit, though.  It's always en vogue to shit on the new hot movie and lots of reviewers just enjoy being fucking crabby.

When you read the meat of the review, it usually bothers you.  Some people are all, "I hate superhero movies, so I will bash Wonder Woman just because I can."

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Captain Underpants went from no reviews to 100% in a heartbeat and I was like WTF but it is only 5 reviews

Those reviews are infuriating.  Baywatch is universally reviled for being completely stupid, while Captain Underpants is celebrated for being deliberately dumb.

If i knew more about how Metacritic really worked, I'd suggest that we use it for the pool instead of RT even though RT ratings are still pretty reliable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CSC said:

Woo!  15 movies left.  Time to stop procrastinating and throw a list together before Friday.  

Yeah, I should mention that today would be the last day to enter.

WW is at 92% with 135 reviews (notice how the negative reviews all waiting to the very end before coming out. Hmm....)

Captain Underpants 86% (13 reviews)