DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

The critics won't like Transformers and Pirates part whatever. Those two flicks will be scored rotten. As close to a lock as you can get in this game.  I actually really enjoyed the first Pirates movie once upon time, but its time has passed.

I want Wonder Woman to do well.  I don't want Hollywood holding it as their go to example to not make female lead action movies.

Was Dark Tower the movie most people avoided and left off their lists?

Edited by _MJ_

22 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Was Dark Tower the movie most people avoided and left off their lists?

The spreadsheet with all the info is on my work computer, but I'm pretty sure the most omitted movie is Captain Underpants.  I think that whole deal is an unknown quantity for most of us.

There were a few other very frequent omissions, though.  Dark Tower may have been one of them.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hollywood Reporter is saying that at the moment Wonder Woman is tracking to open with $65 million

It is three weeks away but... umm... yeah...

Fuck, I kinda sorta need Wonder Woman to do fairly well, but not too well.   I'd feel better if the projection was more around $80 million.

10 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The spreadsheet with all the info is on my work computer, but I'm pretty sure the most omitted movie is Captain Underpants.  I think that whole deal is an unknown quantity for most of us.

There were a few other very frequent omissions, though.  Dark Tower may have been one of them.

So yeah.  There are 24 participants, so we have 48 lists.  The top 5 most omitted movies were:

Captain Underpants - left off of 33 lists
Valerian - 27
Dark Tower - 25
All Eyez On Me - 22
Atomic Blonde - 18

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The top 5 most omitted movies were:

Captain Underpants - left off of 33 lists
Valerian - 27
Dark Tower - 25

COWARDS~!

No one wants to take the chance on either underrating a sleeper hit or overrating a huge fucking bomb, especially in the case of Captain Underpants that could either be the new Despicable Me :) or the new Ice Age :(.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Watching King Arthur's RT # is fun

earlier today it was 24%

a hour ago it was 20%

now it is 21%

Now it's up to 26%!  Grrr.

It's at least going to be down near the bottom no matter what, but I'm not confident in it being the worst-reviewed movie of the summer (which is where I have it slotted on my RT list). There will surely be a few movies from this list in the teens (or worse!) on RT...

Works for me.  I need KA to be shit, but I also need Baywatch to be the most hated movie of the summer.

Sorry, Rock. :(

If there is a movie on my ballot that will fuck me over, it is probably Baywatch.

I think the sequel factor is going to be a major player here.

Critics are usually way more favorable to a first installment. So even if Baywatch is a worse movie than new Pirates or Transformers, critics aren't as likely to be sick of it as they are those two and will thus rate it higher. Especially when you consider it's not an average percentage deal...49% is a fail while 51% is a pass on the RT scale and it's just about whether a review is positive or negative. Which is why heavily divisive films can end up with a lower score than middling stuff.

I always thought the line was 60% at RT to be considered "fresh"

EDIT - Per RT's website

A good review is denoted by a fresh red tomato. In order for a movie or TV show to receive an overall rating of Fresh, the reading on the Tomatometer for that movie must be at least 60%.

A bad review is denoted by a rotten green tomato splat (59% or less).

To receive a Certified Fresh rating a movie must have a steady Tomatometer rating of 75% or better. Movies opening in wide release need at least 80 reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). Movies opening in limited release need at least 40 reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). A TV show must have a Tomatometer Score of 75% or better with 20 or more reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). If the Tomatometer score drops below 70%, then the movie or TV show loses its Certified Fresh status. In some cases, the Certified Fresh designation may be held at the discretion of the Rotten Tomatoes editorial team.

UPDATE 1 OF 17 - through May 12

Standings

1 SorceressKnight - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
2 The Natural - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
3 Sublime - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
4 DreamBroken - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
5 Lacelle - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
6 Kuetsar - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 2.276)
7 The Z - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
8 S.K.o.S. - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
9 Phantom Lord - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
10 Paco - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 1.184)
11 Rippa - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.638)
12 J.T. - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
13 Ace - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.966)
14 caley - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 1.293)
15 Hail Sabin - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.966)
16 hobo joe - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.546)
17 King Leonidas of Sparta - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
18 ivpvideos - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
19 JRGoldman - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.703)
20 Elsalvajeloco - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
21 _MJ_ - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
22 Niners Fan in CT - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
23 The Unholy Dragon - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
24 RossWB - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)

Box office

1 [NEW] Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $183,157,419 (7 days)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 [NEW] Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 221/272 = 81% (7 days)

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

Works for me.  I need KA to be shit, but I also need Baywatch to be the most hated movie of the summer.

Sorry, Rock. :(

If there is a movie on my ballot that will fuck me over, it is probably Baywatch.

Well Baywatch is essentially 21 Jump Street on the beach. Jumpstreet ended up making $205 million. That might just be bottom 10 money on the BO lists.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

King Arthur only made $14.5 million this weekend.

Hope you planned accordingly 

I planned accordingly, but probably not enough.  I didn't expect the BO to be that bad, pun somewhat intended.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am beginning to think that there might have been a case for putting Baahubali 2 in the WHO IS WORTHY? ballot for a slot on the main list.

I've been wondering what the hell that was. I kid you not...the smaller Malco theater in my area has three auditoriums for one in Malayalam, one in Tamil, and one in Telugu. 

On 5/15/2017 at 8:03 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I've been wondering what the hell that was. I kid you not...the smaller Malco theater in my area has three auditoriums for one in Malayalam, one in Tamil, and one in Telugu. 

I can dig it.  It is showing in at least two auditoriums in the major theaters in and around B-More and RVA.

So, after an absence of a few years (and not even being around these boards in general for the past year) I figured it was time to return. Even when I did not participate I always enjoyed looking at the threads in years past. Thankfully I usually did alright too. I have no idea how I'll do this time but in hindsight if I would have participated last year, I probably would have been as befuddled as many people were at how the box office turned out.

Box Office

1 Despicable Me 3 (Jun 30)
2 Spider-Man: Homecoming (Jul 7)
3 Wonder Woman (Jun 2)
4 The Emoji Movie (Jul 28)
5 Cars 3 (Jun 16)
6 War for the Planet of the Apes (Jul 14)
7 Transformers: The Last Knight (Jun 23)
8 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (May 26)
9 Dunkirk (Jul 21)
10 Alien: Covenant (May 19)
11 The Mummy (Jun 9)
12 Baywatch (May 24)
13 Captain Underpants (Jun 2)
14 The Dark Tower (Aug 4) 
15 Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Jul 21)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 Baby Driver (Jun 28)
2 All Eyez On Me (Jun 16)
3 War for the Planet of the Apes (Jul 14)
4 Alien: Covenant (May 19)
5 Wonder Woman (Jun 2)
6 Dunkirk (Jul 21) 
7 Atomic Blonde (July 28)
8 Spider-Man: Homecoming (Jul 7)
9 Despicable Me 3 (Jun 30)
10 The Mummy (Jun 9)
11 The Dark Tower (Aug 4) 
12 Cars 3 (Jun 16)
13 Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Jul 21)
14 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (May 26)
15 Transformers: The Last Knight (Jun 23)

Tiebreaker: War of the Planet of the Apes: 170 million dollars

Even I can't believe I am putting faith into something called The Emoji Movie, but it being a kids movie late in summer and the possibility it's not terrible means it may actually be a hit.

• Like 1

As I said in the upcoming movie thread - the Emoji movie is gonna make two trillion dollars and he like 98% on RT and it will no longer be a world I want to live in

• Like 1