DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

10 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

Saw Baywatch tonight for a sneak preview. Pretty damn funny and silly. I enjoyed it.

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but every time anyone says something positive about the Baywatch movie it's like plunging a dagger into my heart.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, RIPPA said:

As I said in the upcoming movie thread - the Emoji movie is gonna make two trillion dollars and he like 98% on RT and it will no longer be a world I want to live in

If it does, I imagine you'll be hearing this song a lot in your crib in the future.

20 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It's Butts: The Motion Picture.

I would pay good money to see Butts:  The Movie.

I am not spending one red cent on a ticket for Baywatch.

So Wonder Woman screened for the critics and while the review embargo is still on apparently it is nothing but rave reviews on Twitter

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So Wonder Woman screened for the critics and while the review embargo is still on apparently it is nothing but rave reviews on Twitter

Unless those Twitter feeds translate to RT reviews, I'd still fear for my ballot..

I had it in 4th place on my RT list.  I figured the inevitable negative reviews will trickle in on day of release, but I still expect it to be favorably received in general.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

People here were middling on it.  You are the one person who had it at #1 on the RT list.  No one else had it higher than 4th, and the majority of people put it somewhere between 7th and 11th.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

People here were middling on it.  You are the one person who had it at #1 on the RT list.  No one else had it higher than 4th, and the majority of people put it somewhere between 7th and 11th.

My RT ranking was the highest for WW other than Phil?  Hmmm.

IMO I put it eighth because I felt Jenkins would turn in at least a half decent movie all while some of the critics would go BLARGH BLARGH DC UNIVERSE BLARGH BLARGH. So around 70-75% on Rotten Tomatoes.

If the reviews are extremely positive, I feel the box office could be something crazy.

• Like 1

UPDATE 2 OF 17 - through May 18

Everyone's still at 0 points.  The movement in the standings is because I forgot to sort by tiebreaker last week.

Standings

1 [ 16] hobo joe - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.062)
2 [ 11] Rippa - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.125)
3 [ 19] JRGoldman - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.17)
4 [ 13] Ace - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.35)
5 [ 15] Hail Sabin - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.35)
6 [ 10] Paco - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.5)
7 [ 14] caley - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.575)
8 [ 18] ivpvideos - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 0.622)
9 [ 6] Kuetsar - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak 1.249)
10 [ 1] SorceressKnight - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 2] The Natural - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
12 [ 3] Sublime - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
13 [ 4] DreamBroken - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 5] Lacelle - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
15 [ 7] The Z - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
16 [ 8] S.K.o.S. - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
17 [ 9] Phantom Lord - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
18 [ 12] J.T. - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
19 [ 17] King Leonidas of Sparta - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
20 [- 20] Elsalvajeloco - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
21 [- 21] _MJ_ - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
22 [- 22] Niners Fan in CT - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
23 [- 23] The Unholy Dragon - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
24 [- 24] RossWB - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
25 [NEW] The Erotic Terrorist - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)

Box office

1 [- 1] Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $266,737,474 (14 days)
2 [NEW] King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $20,351,221 (7 days)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 [- 1] Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 233/287 = 81% (14 days)
2 [NEW] King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 49/176 = 28% (7 days)

On 19/05/2017 at 2:37 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

#7 on mine and probably my most difficult placement weighing up the really good trailers/posters/photos vs. DCEU films so far.

Frankly I thought the WW commercial I saw on tv looked like shit, the only reason I put it on as high as I did was because I think every other movie after it looked that much worse. . . 

I want very badly to love it from the commercials but (1) the minute the obviously-CGI-alien showed up in the Take Me Home Country Roads commercial, it dies for me because it just kills part of what made the alien scary in the first place, and (2) all the other ads have been "hey here's a pastiche of things people like about Alien movies" without really offering anything interesting or new.

I want very badly to be wrong on both these points. I love Alien.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, RIPPA said:

aww... even with no points JT still dropped

That's what I get for submitting a late ballot and my tiebreak hasn't kicked in.

Alien Covenant just edged out Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 for the top BO spot this weekend. 

Hopefully GoTG Vol 2 will be pesky and remain in the Top 5 long enough to continue raking in the cash.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Baywatch only has one review so far which is weird as it lands a couple days early. It's a rotten review though so that bodes poorly.

I'm reading one of this guy's other reviews and it starts like this (FWIW a review of Colossal)

Imagine if monster blockbusters such as Pacific Rim or Kong: Skull Island were made by people with brains and heart, instead of just cash and cameras.

I'm not saying I'm FOR people getting kidnapped and beheaded BUT....