DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

CU is also being helped by only having 60 reviews which is really absurd for a summer release

It is total bullshit.

Wonder Woman came out the same weekend and it has over two hundred and fifty reviews.

Captain Underpants remains at only 61 reviews

The lowest # of reviews a movie in a version of this poll (that I can find on the board which goes back through 2013) is RIPD with only 60

The next lowest I can find is Ice Age: Collision Course with 98

@S.K.o.S. can see if there was anything lower in the versions from the other years but CU is definitely taking advantage of rare territory (Most of the really low # of reviews have finished near the bottom or at the bottom of the RT list.)

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That's gonna hurt way fucking worse than where I had Baywatch on my RT list

This is why I hate RT.

Here is the lead-in quote for Ed Douglas's review for The Mummy.

Ultimately, The Mummy isn't absolutely terrible... there's a lot of potential here that's been squandered by including Cruise and Crowe.

Not bad, not good, just eh.

He gives it a rating of 6 / 10 which is reluctant and grudging approval, but RT classifies the review as Rotten.

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Up to 30% after 33 reviews

Yeah - somehow getting to around 50% would be nice

I have The Mummy on my ballot in the middle-ish because I expected reviews to be mixed, but the classification of lukewarm reviews as Rotten on RT still baffles me. 

Damning with faint praise isn't the same as outright hate.

Of course I'd probably be annoyed if the whatever reviews were certified Fresh, since that would skew the RT rating unfavorably to the right and I kinda need The Mummy to be solidly average.

well the issue in general is that everyone uses their own scale

Out of 4, 5 or 10 are the standard (and the people still using 4 stars need to die) but then you throw in the people who do letter grades.

On some levels just doing the old Siskel and Ebert thumbs up/thumbs down might have worked best for RT

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

well the issue in general is that everyone uses their own scale

Out of 4, 5 or 10 are the standard (and the people still using 4 stars need to die) but then you throw in the people who do letter grades.

On some levels just doing the old Siskel and Ebert thumbs up/thumbs down might have worked best for RT

That's always been kinda odd because I've read RT negative reviews where the critic didn't say anything remotely negative or harsh about a film and basically just said "well, it could have been better".  So I'm guessing the in the middle means thumbs down.

But yeah, for me, it wasn't hard to tell The Mummy was going to get bad reviews. Sofia Boutella should've dressed up as Prince Kharis because it probably would be less goofy.

34 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that critics tell RT if they want their review to count as fresh or rotten.  Or at least, they have the option of telling them.

Maybe they have the option, but the never wrong or crudely edited Rotten Tomatoes Wikipedia entry says the staff assesses a review to determine if it was positive or negative.

Nothing will come close to drawing against Wonder Woman until the Autobots Of The Round Table comes out, but that's the weekend I will be giving my money to Baby Driver.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mummy is down to 21%

I told you something could possibly be lower than Baywatch

The Mummy being it is not a good thing though

Well, I did not see that coming.

I've never seen Cocktail.  I'm sad that The Mummy is doing so poorly. I figured it would be pretty bad but not this bad and it doesn't look good for the future of the Dark Universe. 

If I had to guess I would put The Mummy's opening weekend at around $35M.   I think Wonder Woman can do about $45M.