DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Okay - Rotten Tomatoes isn't working right now. It took me over 5 minutes just to get the link for Good Will Hunting so I am going to wait a little bit to see if it sorts itself out before going any further

MPW-33433

109) STAR WARS: EPISODE VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983) 

Director: Richard Marquand

276 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Tbarrie, KLOS, CSC - HONORABLE MENTION: Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%) : METACRITIC (53)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #31 (80s)

The Return of the King by Jerry VanderStelt

107) THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003)

Director: Peter Jackson

277 Points (4 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: DFA, Paco, Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (94)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #30 (2000s)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chaos said:

I feel like there should be some rage thrown at the worst of the three Lord of the Rings films (minus the Helms Deep Sequence) ranking this high. I didn't vote for any of that trilogy, as I felt those films have not aged particularly well, but that makes me nervous about how high the other two films will end up ranking.

This is a super weird comment given that the CGI in those films looks better than the majority of major CGI in the last decade, which is a constant source of mystery as to what went wrong on that front.

8b252db45516b6a1a7a7c0e4a7f0fde3

106) SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998)

Director: Steven Spielberg

280 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#27) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, Raziel, (BP), Z, Sublime, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (90)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #45 (90s V2), #36 (90s V1)

• Like 1

I think that is the 2nd instance of back to back movies from the same director (the two Nolan movies earlier were the first)

Granted I still haven't double checked this

Aguirre-final-color-small

103) AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD (Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes) (1972)

Director: Werner Herzog

288 Points (5 Votes + 1HM) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, (BP), DFA, Magnificent 7 - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #20 (70s)

• Like 1

Here is where I point out that on the original 60s poll - the high vote for Great Escape was cast by Caley

As you notice... he didn't vote for it here.

Ouch...

• Like 2

CSK_10275_0101

101) THE SEARCHERS (1956)

Director: John Ford

298 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Ed (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, JH, Magnificent 7, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (50s)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Here is where I point out that on the original 60s poll - the high vote for Great Escape was cast by Caley

As you notice... he didn't vote for it here.

Ouch...

I thought i would be the high vote for that one, I had it at #11. I actually thought this might be my highest ranked movie that doesn't show up at all. Glad I'm not the only fan.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I know some of you hate all things Star Wars but to think they wouldn't do well - especially on this board - is silly

I like Star Wars plenty. I just genuinely didn't expect RotJ this high. Now instead of expecting a top ten finish for Empire, I'm wondering if it's number one. Which, yes, I should have been taking as a serious possibility all along. 

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

This is a super weird comment given that the CGI in those films looks better than the majority of major CGI in the last decade, which is a constant source of mystery as to what went wrong on that front.

I just meant repeat viewings and narrative flow. That middle film especially is a chore to work through, but it was admittedly a tough task to cohesively splice together how Tolkien separates the groups in each volume. 

I hate Return of the King so I always feel like I am on an island when people praise it

That being said - a lot of the reasons I hate it are because of the changes from the book

Though the three false finishes don't help