DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Some pre-Kabuki Great Kabuki from 1980 Central States:

With postmatch mic work from a guy who speaks some English but not a huge amount.

Man, I just watched this show a few weeks ago.

Central States has to be the most middle of the road territory out there. If you want slightly above average stuff, Central States is your place.

There's Central States episodes on YouTube that I haven't watched. I wonder if I'm gonna feel the energy of "this was a show that originally aired on Sunday Mornings" all over All-Star Wrestling. Seriously, a bunch of other territories put their local TV on Saturdays and KC was on Sundays head to head with televangelists.

But yeah the place was a bit of a "begin or end your career here" territory

• Like 3

watching some 1998 WCW Saturday Night

Six Man Lucha Sprint (Juvy/Calo/Ciclope vs Damien/El Dandy/Silver King): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8jswihnbAo

Chris Adams vs Evil Brad Armstrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdRY27RxYwk

Finlay vs Guerrero for the TV title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcB8pXLv5BE

Don't be fooled by Silver King's stocky physique

• Like 2

1. The day at the fair montage is GOLD.

2. Jake Roberts' creepiness meter is at 9.5. There is something about tonguing down your future sister in law that is extra creepy.

3. The Cotton Bowl and Kawasaki Stadium have the same visual aesthetic almost. That said, shooting all the other empty seats on the other side frequently is a bit amateurish when the other side looks full.

• Like 1

a May 1992 episode of WCW Main Event showing up on YouTube? guess it's time to watch some of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgTjJnDb48

The Tailor Made Man and Greg Valentine vs Brad Armstrong and Junkyard Dog is a match that happened in 1992. Along with a main event of The Z-Man and Marcus Alexander Bagwell vs Scotty Flamingo and JT Southern

EDIT: also Rick Steiner takes on a fatboy (Bubba Howard) which means that there's a German Suplex, two Steinerlines and a top rope belly to belly.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Poor Central States. They were right next door to St. Louis, they had Harley when he wasn't travelling the world... and that's all they had. 

Ken Wayne as the fake Tiger Mask is maybe the best I got. 

I think in Wrestling at the Chase, his book, Larry Matysik even intimated that Central States sucked and Harley was always trying to pull talent over there, but Muchnick wanted to keep all the best guys for himself. Sam was smart. Harley got the crap like Bulldog Brower instead.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think in Wrestling at the Chase, his book, Larry Matysik even intimated that Central States sucked and Harley was always trying to pull talent over there, but Muchnick wanted to keep all the best guys for himself. Sam was smart. Harley got the crap like Bulldog Brower instead.

for the record, it's Bulldog Brown who is one of the two wrestlers that comes up when old people mention All-Star Wrestling (the other being Rufus R. Jones)

• Like 1

I am watching some Memphis from November 1984, and apparently this was when CWA was working with other promotions (w/ Gordon Solie co-hosting with Lance) so it's a bunch of non Memphis wrestlers on TV and it's super weird. That said, I totally forgot Bill and Scott Irwin were using the Long Riders name at the exact same time Ron Bass and Black Bart are using the name. I am guessing after the Walter Hill movie that came out a few years prior. I would also guess that had some type of brand confusion have arisen that the brothers Irwin would have went back under the mask as the Super Ds.

• Like 1

There's also footage of a very non-impressed Gordon Solie having to deal with Jimmy Hart on the GCW side of that Memphis talent exchange.

I don't know how good the acoustics of the Omni were, especially if it was empty in 1984, but there were Ronnie Garvin vs Wahoo McDaniel matches around that time in GCW that must have sounded like live ammo rounds going off

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am watching some Memphis from November 1984, and apparently this was when CWA was working with other promotions (w/ Gordon Solie co-hosting with Lance) so it's a bunch of non Memphis wrestlers on TV and it's super weird. That said, I totally forgot Bill and Scott Irwin were using the Long Riders name at the exact same time Ron Bass and Black Bart are using the name. I am guessing after the Walter Hill movie that came out a few years prior. I would also guess that had some type of brand confusion have arisen that the brothers Irwin would have went back under the mask as the Super Ds.

IIRC, there had already been Super Destroyers in the AWA (think Sarge was one), so that might have been whey they segued to the gimmick. And, the Irwins version were bikers, not necessarily cowboys like Bass and Bart, even though they wore dusters and cowboy hats. I recall one of the angles at least in the AWA were that the Irwins wore biker boots, which were quasi loaded boots.

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, there had already been Super Destroyers in the AWA (think Sarge was one), so that might have been whey they segued to the gimmick. And, the Irwins version were bikers, not necessarily cowboys like Bass and Bart, even though they wore dusters and cowboy hats. I recall one of the angles at least in the AWA were that the Irwins wore biker boots, which were quasi loaded boots.

It's funny that you mentioned that caused on the same episode later on, the former Grapplers are now the Dirty White Boys and dressed like...you guessed it bikers. Except somehow more white trash.

• Like 1

I guess I never think of the DWB team as bikers, knowing lots of “rural folks” who dress/dressed similarly that were not bikers. (And we have plenty of bikers in our part of the world. Growing up I believe there was a gang based here.)

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess I never think of the DWB team as bikers, knowing lots of “rural folks” who dress/dressed similarly that were not bikers. (And we have plenty of bikers in our part of the world. Growing up I believe there was a gang based here.)

Oh yeah, they're kinda bikers but I don’t think we ever see them riding like others who got music videos. Just sitting on the bikes so I am guessing Denton and Tony Anthony weren't versed enough to actually do it. They show them doing various things including them hanging out with an old vintage souped up car. So there is a ton of overlap in the white trash department. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Pagans?