DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 95: Cyborg vs. Länsberg (9/24/2016) - Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Elsalvajeloco

It's good to see someone go from Brazilian regional fodder to serviceable veteran to perennial tough out and graduate to an established good fighter in a very good division. Usually when someone does that, it's because a few key fighters lose some fights, probably move to new weight class, and someone has to fill the void left. 

Good, solid win for Barao. The question moving forward is how will he fare when he faces bigger, more physical featherweights. He's going to have be a more active fighter because guys are going to be harder to knock out and harder to just keep on the ground.

yes, Barao looked much better in this fight than he has recently. but i still don't see him getting anywhere near title contention at 145. at this point i can't even see him approaching top 10.  i still feel like that first loss to Dillashaw just decimated him emotionally.

It's going to be style matchups. The latter end of that top 10 to 15 isn't as solidified as that top 6 or 7. I mean Hacran Dias is ranked 12. I would safely assume Barao is better than his teammate, who is a decent fighter but not exactly the most diverse fighter.

Cyborg should never fight at 140 pounds again after that brutal weight cut.  If Holm or Tate are willing to fight her, it should probably be at 145 pounds.

In case you needed more proof that Roy Nelson is an idiot.  I can understand maybe being angry about a possibly late stoppage and adrenaline pumping and being in the moment, but don't freaking kick the referee you moron.

45CC403A-A9FF-491F-9167-5FA1DC2BB4D2_zps

Rousey has been pretty clear on that in the past. I could see it happening maybe one day, but it's not on the near horizon. I guess it depends what Rousey is looking for in a comeback; I could be wrong but I think she's probably got half a dozen more fights - I can only really see her facing Cyborg at the end.

Holly Holm has previously said she's open to it, but getting beat up by Cyborg might hurt the value of a Rousey rematch (and it makes it riskier for Rousey - do I really want to face a jobber who nonetheless maybe has my number?).

8 hours ago, Casey said:

What the fuck?

Told ya.

As for Holm/Cyborg, I believe Holm changed her tune and said it had to be at 135. I think that was around UFC 196. I am not sure she feels the same way coming off 2 losses. She just got the cast off her hand and wants to fight again before the year ends. Fighting Cyborg probably lands her the third straight loss this year.

Didn't read the full story, but I saw this week that Dana said no new women's weight classes are coming. IMO I think they open up 145 if Cyborg beats Rousey or whoever the bantamweight champ is at the time. They're trying their best to force superfights. Last night felt like a Golovkin fight. Usually, I see people call the main event winner out in droves on my Twitter feed. I didn't see a soul call out Cyborg. If Cris wants to fight a top 10 fighter, people ain't exactly stepping up to the plate. That's why she should have called someone out specifically post fight and put pressure on them publicly.

There is no depth for a women's featherweight division.  I understand booking fights for Cyborg at 145 pounds, but it seems she just keeps getting bigger and adding more muscle.  Not to mention the fact that steroids have clearly altered and changed her body because that is what steroids due to women.

Here is the finish for Bigfoot vs. Nelson.  Decide for yourself if you think it McCarthy wasn't doing his job.

Probably should have been stopped two punches into the ground and pound. You could hear that right connect, and every punch after. I don't agree with Nelson (lightly) kicking McCarthy, but to answer your question - it could have been stopped a few seconds earlier.

28 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

There is no depth for a women's featherweight division.  

Thing is even with depth, like who is beating Cyborg? There was a time when she was in EliteXC and still at Chute Boxe where she was very technically inefficient. But now? With the help of Saul Soliz and Jason Parillo, she is chaining everything together. Unless whoever she faces has a steel nose, that straight right is absolutely brutal and likely to shatter your face. Those combos against the cage where she finished with the body kick, and Lansberg's stomach was folding into itself was just downright painful to watch. There are some really tough girls, but who the fuck is going to stand up to that?

There is depth at 115, and it is not like we are already highlighting who is gonna beat Joanna. There are a few interesting prospects, but they are still far away from challenging Joanna. You can always develop good fighters in time like any division, but challenging Cyborg is going to be fruitless endeavor. Unless you have the same type of physical specimen, they are probably going to get folded up even if they are really talented. I mean take the most talented women at 135. At no point do I see any of them making it to round 3 or 4 in a five round fight.

Well I guess it's a similar problem to Ronda Rousey at 135 pounds.  Remember, Holly Holm wasn't supposed to beat her, and it's one of the biggest upsets of all time.

That being said, I foresaw the same problem seven years ago.  They ran Carano/Cyborg, and it did well.  However, after that, no one was beating Cyborg, and the division thinned out quickly.  

I think if they want to use Cyborg, they can just keep booking her at catchweight fights for special attractions.

42 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well I guess it's a similar problem to Ronda Rousey at 135 pounds.  Remember, Holly Holm wasn't supposed to beat her, and it's one of the biggest upsets of all time.

That being said, I foresaw the same problem seven years ago.  They ran Carano/Cyborg, and it did well.  However, after that, no one was beating Cyborg, and the division thinned out quickly.  

I think if they want to use Cyborg, they can just keep booking her at catchweight fights for special attractions.

I think the difference between the Rousey and Cyborg situations is we didn't really understand the number of X factors in play with Rousey. She was fighting in Strikeforce Challengers in the summer 2011. She was headlining on UFC PPV in early 2013. That's not a long time to figure out what is what with a fighter even if they beat the best fighters available. All we were seeing is dominance. Cyborg has been around for a long, long time now. We saw more of Cyborg prior to Rousey's arrival on the scene than we've seen of Rousey in the UFC. If there were variables outside of weight and drug testing, they have played out or they aren't ever going to play out save for a steep physical decline. If someone was going to decisively beat Cyborg, it either had to be Storm Samural era where she was fresh from being a handball player or that window I talked about in the prior post.

Does anyone really believe Cat Zingano, who struggled against Julianna Pena, can suplex Cris Cyborg around the cage? Does anyone think that's going turn out well? I like Holm and she's a really good and underrated striker, but I don't think she can do as well against another proficient striker unless it's a straight up point fight. Even then, she struggled mightily against someone who should be at 125. I had a feeling the Shevchenko fight would play out like that if she couldn't land big counters. I think Cyborg pins her to the ground and absolutely hammers her into the canvas. Germaine would be an interesting matchup, but the same thing is going to happen. Cris could have entertained a striking match with Lansberg for some time before just ending it with a couple right hands. But she gave her zero chance to win and just mauled her against the cage. The Nunes fight would be a straight up massacre just because I feel Cyborg is basically the best possible version of Amanda Nunes, a big hitter who can beat women up on the ground when she feels like it. Nunes doesn't respond well when being put on her back. Plus, Cris can take punches very well and the ones Cyborg throws got more heat on them. That's basically Cris by whatever she wants. If people genuinely felt they were more talented and skilled than her, they would call her out relentlessly. But through actual analysis, there ain't that many avenues to beat Cris Cyborg. Right now, in her current form, someone would need some divine intervention.

How come Nelson was wearing green and yellow Brazil gear? He's not Brazilian. I mean, the fans seemed to love him and all, but if the whole idea is everyone's representing a nation... aren't you supposed to just pick one and stick with it?