DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

Sad to say but A Simple Plan was the first movie to show up that I smacked myself in the forehead for forgetting about it.

meh

This shit is getting out of hand.

I like my fair share of ridiculous martial arts stuff (I mean, I will go to the mat for 'Gorgeous'!) but this just...it wasn't bad...but I didn't love it.  Hence the meh.

Wonder who joined me voting for Cronos and 10 Things I Hate About You.

The other 10 Things I Hate About You vote was me.

I was sad to see it not get more votes, but I guess the Heath Ledger post-mortem bump has run its' course.

309) IRON MONKEY

1993 - 114 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 jaedmc)

DIRECTOR: Woo-ping Yuen

STARRING:  Rongguang Yu, Donnie Yen, Jean Wang

Placement On Original List: N/A

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - So very irritated. It wasn't until right now when I was going to post this that I realized that I left Iron Monkey off my ballot. Grr...

I spent years trying to track it down and when I finally saw it...meh.  The comedy was too silly, too over-the-top, it just wasn't what I was looking for in a ridiculous stunts martial arts film.

Oh, come on, man. :)

The No-Shadow Kick at the 2:05 mark alone earns Iron Monkey a million billion stars!  I don't think you could have better choreographed fights in a wire fu movie without names like Chang Cheh or Lu Feng in the credits. 

The humor is a bit silly for a chop socky epic, but the brawls in this movie are absolutely tremendous and Donnie Yen and Rongguang Yu are king sized!

309) IRON MONKEY

1993 - 114 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 jaedmc)

DIRECTOR: Woo-ping Yuen

STARRING:  Rongguang Yu, Donnie Yen, Jean Wang

Placement On Original List: N/A

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - So very irritated. It wasn't until right now when I was going to post this that I realized that I left Iron Monkey off my ballot. Grr...

I spent years trying to track it down and when I finally saw it...meh.  The comedy was too silly, too over-the-top, it just wasn't what I was looking for in a ridiculous stunts martial arts film.

Oh, come on, man. :)

The No-Shadow Kick at the 2:05 mark alone earns Iron Monkey a million billion stars!  I don't think you could have better choreographed fights in a wire fu movie without names like Chang Cheh or Lu Feng in the credits. 

The humor is a bit silly for a chop socky epic, but the brawls in this movie are absolutely tremendous and Donnie Yen and Rongguang Yu are king sized!

Sorry, it just didn't do anything for me and I have unimpeachable taste...

308) THE NAKED GUN 2 1/2: THE SMELL OF FEAR

1991 - 116 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #52 Caley)

Wonder who joined me voting for Cronos and 10 Things I Hate About You.

The other 10 Things I Hate About You vote was me.

I was sad to see it not get more votes, but I guess the Heath Ledger post-mortem bump has run its' course.

I totally definitely voted for CRONOS (I think)

Thank you.

307) THE MUMMY

1999 - 116 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #48 Natural)

This is the other film I watched as part of the Film Club activity at my school. I just have fun watching this film so I had to make room for it on my ballot. Glad I wasn't the only one voting for it. That's three films gone from my list.

I was in love with short-haired Elizabeth Peña the minute I saw her in Jacob's Ladder. 

Then she turned into a gargoyle.

She cut her hair even shorter for Rush Hour... as if Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker and Ken Leung / Ken Lo / Mars / James Lew as Triad henchmen wasn't going to be enough to get me into the theater.

Wow. Only 2 votes for Jacob's Ladder. I'm genuinely surprised. I thought for sure more people around here would like that one.

OH and it looks like New Blood voted for both it and Rosetta at 23?

Sorry, it just didn't do anything for me and I have unimpeachable taste...

U KNOW UR RONG~!

I meant to link that statement with me being the high vote on 'Naked Gun 2 1/2' but I don't think it came off right.

301) KIDS

1995 - 118 Points - 4 Votes (Highest Vote: #51 jaedmc)

DIRECTOR: Larry Clark

STARRING:  Leo Fitzpatrick, Justin Pierce, Chloë Sevigny

Placement On Original List: #188 (4 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (49%)

WIKI

This movie was sort-of a touchstone for my friends and I when it came out.  We watched it and re-watched it a few times.  I think it was the shock factor, plus it was like getting to see what the bad kids got up to, as we weren't bad kids.  My friend started doing his hair like Casper, would nick-name himself Casper, and apparently a friend of mine, while drunk, did the penis thing the black guy does at a party...thankfully I missed that last one.  It is still a pretty good-looking film, something I probably didn't appreciate at the time, as much as I did the two girls in see-through bras kissing each other in the pool.

Kids was a big thing getting passed around my friends as well. I remember not being very shocked at all by it, which may say something about the school I went to. I felt the same way about that movie Thirteen with Evan Rachel Wood too. Both really quite mild, in my opinion, and not very good either.